Quantcast
Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here?

My Ride
    rally pig

^ thanks for the offer but I think I will look for a bigger fan or AIO as I want the rig to be quiet.

thinking of waiting until next month to buy the hardware as I'm waiting to see how the i5 10600 fares and if there will be a price drop on the 3600.

researching for cases and video cards right now though (5600XT or 5700)

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^ thanks for the offer but I think I will look for a bigger fan or AIO as I want the rig to be quiet.

thinking of waiting until next month to buy the hardware as I'm waiting to see how the i5 10600 fares and if there will be a price drop on the 3600.

researching for cases and video cards right now though (5600XT or 5700)

Personally I would wait for the 3 series but that's just me. I personally would stay away from any amd gpu because RTX will be part of almost every game in the future.

If you want mid tower the best case I have ever built in is the phantek p600s if you can find it. Ultimate silent case with removable panels if you overclock. One of the few cases that uses a cloth mesh so amazing airflow.
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by scboss View Post
    Personally I would wait for the 3 series but that's just me. I personally would stay away from any amd gpu because RTX will be part of almost every game in the future.

If you want mid tower the best case I have ever built in is the phantek p600s if you can find it. Ultimate silent case with removable panels if you overclock. One of the few cases that uses a cloth mesh so amazing airflow.

Right now my plan is turning out to just upgrade cpu/mobo/ram and ssd, I will be re-using my Obsidian 250D mini-ITX case and GTX 1060 as I barely game and it is powerful enough for my need.

I'm now leaning on a Ryzen 7 3700x and 32GB of RAM.
    Might upgrade the PSU as right now it is a 550W (ok but it is getting old anyway).
    Just trying to figure out if I should wait next month once the B550 motherboards are out or just buy the MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC.
    Will be running this stock anyway and plan to use it for the next 3-4 years.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

+1 on Phanteks cases. Great bang for the buck and they are great looking too

My Ride
    TypeR

Right now my plan is turning out to just upgrade cpu/mobo/ram and ssd, I will be re-using my Obsidian 250D mini-ITX case and GTX 1060 as I barely game and it is powerful enough for my need.

I'm now leaning on a Ryzen 7 3700x and 32GB of RAM.
    Might upgrade the PSU as right now it is a 550W (ok but it is getting old anyway).
    Just trying to figure out if I should wait next month once the B550 motherboards are out or just buy the MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC.
    Will be running this stock anyway and plan to use it for the next 3-4 years.

Oh i just went off you saying you were researching cards and cases. I personally wouldn't touch a amd gpu now but next gen might be different.

That setup will be solid. If you dont plan on overclocking then you can go wrong with that setup. If you have it all taken apart might be worth getting a 750-850 psu and future proof yourself
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Question for the experts here. I now have 32gb of ram but have never exceeded 12gb of utilization even with a large lightroom catalog, a few dozen tabs in chrome/explorer/firefox, folding@home, civ 6, large excel spreadsheets open. What's the deal?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Question for the experts here. I now have 32gb of ram but have never exceeded 12gb of utilization even with a large lightroom catalog, a few dozen tabs in chrome/explorer/firefox, folding@home, civ 6, large excel spreadsheets open. What's the deal?
    What OS do you have? Win 7 home premium would only use 16gb max IIRC. Win 10 is 128+ though

My Ride
    rally pig

Oh i just went off you saying you were researching cards and cases. I personally wouldn't touch a amd gpu now but next gen might be different.

That setup will be solid. If you dont plan on overclocking then you can go wrong with that setup. If you have it all taken apart might be worth getting a 750-850 psu and future proof yourself
    thanks for the tip on the phantek, it's a brand that I'm not familiar but now I want the Phanteks P400A, too bad it is not in stock

Other cases I'm interested on is the Corsair iCue 220T.
    If I can get a mid-tower case I might order a X570 mobo, otherwise I might get a mini-ITX B450 mobo.

not in any rush anyway so will wait what happens over the next couple of weeks. B550 should be coming out mid-June too

going to wait for GTX 3000s before upgrading videocard.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    What OS do you have? Win 7 home premium would only use 16gb max IIRC. Win 10 is 128+ though
    Win 10.

My Ride
    rally pig

not surprised TBH, 16GB is still alot for most people and Lightroom in general only uses about 3-4GB from what I recall.

Only time I'm saturating 16GB of RAM is when I'm running VMs.

Other apps that I find are RAM intensive are Skype for Business, Teams and cloud sync apps like Dropbox and OneDrive
    Last edited by taemo; 05-19-2020 at 04:17 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Is there a way to allocate more resources/hardware power to a program? Will the program actually use that new-found power if assigned?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Is there a way to allocate more resources/hardware power to a program? Will the program actually use that new-found power if assigned?
    Sort of?

Bring up the task manager, hit more details, go to the details tab, right click on the program and set the priority to high.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If you are running something really serious, you might want to look into creating a specific Windows profile for JUST that task - and then optimize THAT profile for it.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Sort of?

Bring up the task manager, hit more details, go to the details tab, right click on the program and set the priority to high.
    https://bitsum.com/

I use it and saw a small bump in performance when playing certain games. Tangible jumps worth putting up with its mildly annoying nag on startup.

My Ride

This is weird. I kept getting weird random issues despite updating my firmware, windows, drivers, etc, over 10 times after setting up the computer using both windows and manufacturers' drivers. Then two weeks later, a windows update was performed which resolved everything. No idea what happened.

Issues: trouble with youtube playback, sound was played at 1/4 speed until reboot, bluetooth capability stopped existing, random glitches when pushed hard.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

thanks for the tip on the phantek, it's a brand that I'm not familiar but now I want the Phanteks P400A, too bad it is not in stock

Other cases I'm interested on is the Corsair iCue 220T.
    If I can get a mid-tower case I might order a X570 mobo, otherwise I might get a mini-ITX B450 mobo.

not in any rush anyway so will wait what happens over the next couple of weeks. B550 should be coming out mid-June too

going to wait for GTX 3000s before upgrading videocard.
    I have the P400S Temp Glass. Awesome to look at, RGB is custom and a nice add-on, and the overall cable management is awesome. Quiet as well. Highly recommended.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've stopped building boxes for high end computing. Passive/convective cooling (where possible) is where its at. Wall mountable as well.

Thermaltake open cases are the way to go for me and my clients (if its feasible; for a work station on a floor, this makes no sense).

GPU fans dont have to run at idle any more and the system is silent with the proper CPU fan.

My Ride

My concern was the GPU fan noise. Otherwise, the Cougar cases look really nice.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I've stopped building boxes for high end computing. Passive/convective cooling (where possible) is where its at. Wall mountable as well.

Thermaltake open cases are the way to go for me and my clients (if its feasible; for a work station on a floor, this makes no sense).

GPU fans dont have to run at idle any more and the system is silent with the proper CPU fan.

I like the look of the Thermaltake P3 and P5 look but don't have enough space on my desk to place it, was also considering the Hydra open PC case.
    Any concern with dust accumulation?

Found a Phantek P400A, I should have it hopefully in 1-2 weeks and pulled the trigger on this build

WD Black SN750 500GB

Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR4 3200MHz

AMD Ryzen 7 3700XProcessor, 3.6GHzw/ 36MBCache

Corsair CVSeries CV650 650W

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

will be running this naked until the case arrive
    and with my old GTX 1060 while waiting for the rumored 3060.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I've always wanted to wall mount one of those open style cases. Would be kinda neat to run it all on the wall and aside from the monitor and power cables have it a super clean build. Wireless mouse and keyboards now have near 0 latency and perfectly viable for gaming so it could make for a clean setup.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast