Quantcast
Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Been out of the PC build game for years, what mobo/cpu/ram path to take from here?

My Ride
    Silverado

so there are a couple used 1060's for sale for around $240, but I can also get a new rx 580 oc for the same price. Is the 1060 a much better card?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Picked up an Asus x570 Pro with a 3600x CPU and 32gb of 3200Mhz ram

It was time to replace my OC, 4th gen i7 and Asus Maximus mobo I picked up used, from Hakkola 5 years ago , LOL. (thanks Matt!)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so there are a couple used 1060's for sale for around $240, but I can also get a new rx 580 oc for the same price. Is the 1060 a much better card?
    You can buy a brand new 1660 6gb with warranty for around $300 so I would just do that if people still want $240 for a used 1060 6GB.

The RX580 is very similar to a 1060. I love AMD but most games and applications are optimized for Nvidia cards. Both will easily get you to 60 FPS at 1080P in Warzone though, so if that's all you're after then I would get whatever is cheaper.

The 1060 also is a lower wattage card in case you don't have lots of PSU headroom, but neither are too bad (185W vs 120W)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Stupid question...you can't use Nvidia with AMD?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Stupid question...you can't use Nvidia with AMD?
    You can use Nvidia cards w/ AMD CPUs, all good.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Cheers!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Silly me. I thought I had a 1060 in my old system. Turns out it's a 1080. No wonder F@H loves it.

I need to move it to a smaller case. What's the smallest ATX case boys?
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 05-25-2020 at 10:10 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Silly me. I thought I had a 1060 in my old system. Turns out it's a 1080. No wonder F@H loves it.

I need to move it to a smaller case. What's the smallest ATX case boys?
    Casually mix up a 300$ GPU and a 900$ GPU haha.

microatx would work if your MOBO fits.

My Ride

I found the receipt and it was just under $700. Dafuq was I thinking. I don't even really game.

I was considering switching out the ATX mobo to a mitx to fit the Fractal Design Era but the ventilation looks pretty poor after adding a 240mm cooler. It looks nice and compact though.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

ok, it's fucking hard to build a reasonably priced PC right now. I think this cost an extra $500 over what I would have normally built.

AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 Processor, 3.6GHz w/ 35MB Cache
    Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE w/ DDR4-3200, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, CrossFire
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB PCI-E (Rev 2.0) w/ HDMI, Triple DP, USB Type-C
    ThermalTake Premium Edition ToughPower GF1 ARGB Gold Modular Power Supply, 750W
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 16GB), Black
    Intel 660p Series M.2 PCI-E Solid State Drive, 1TB
    Corsair iCUE 465X RGB Airflow Tempered Glass Mid Tower Smart Case w/ 3x LL120 RGB 120mm Fans, 6 Port RGB Controller, Black

Now I have gone all ricer and tried to get everything with RGBs. Have no fucking clue how to connect them all. The case has 3 RGB fans on the front, but there aren't enough connections on the mobo to run the fans.
    What's the solution? do I have to get this Corsair Commander PRO Digital Fan and RGB Lighting Controller? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX66936

Do all the RGBs integrate? mobo, vid card, memory, case fans, etc? fuck I am a noob.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    ok, it's fucking hard to build a reasonably priced PC right now. I think this cost an extra $500 over what I would have normally built.

AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 Processor, 3.6GHz w/ 35MB Cache
    Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE w/ DDR4-3200, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, CrossFire
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB PCI-E (Rev 2.0) w/ HDMI, Triple DP, USB Type-C
    ThermalTake Premium Edition ToughPower GF1 ARGB Gold Modular Power Supply, 750W
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 16GB), Black
    Intel 660p Series M.2 PCI-E Solid State Drive, 1TB
    Corsair iCUE 465X RGB Airflow Tempered Glass Mid Tower Smart Case w/ 3x LL120 RGB 120mm Fans, 6 Port RGB Controller, Black

Now I have gone all ricer and tried to get everything with RGBs. Have no fucking clue how to connect them all. The case has 3 RGB fans on the front, but there aren't enough connections on the mobo to run the fans.
    What's the solution? do I have to get this Corsair Commander PRO Digital Fan and RGB Lighting Controller? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX66936

Do all the RGBs integrate? mobo, vid card, memory, case fans, etc? fuck I am a noob.
    Are you a gamer? If not I would get an older video card and just upgrade later on.
    That's the route I went by re-using my old GTX 1060 as I'm waiting for the RTX 3000s later this year or next year.

I went with a basic 650W PSU (you don't need 750W either for your specs), not modular and saved me some bucks.
    I just tucked in all the unused cables in the bottom compartment and my Phantek P400A case is very similar to yours.
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX80305

The ICUE 465X was my 2nd case option if I couldnt get a Phantek and that has a controller where you can connect all your RGB fans (up to 6 I think) and control the colors.
    Basically you connect your fans to the controller, then controller to your motherboard.
    You can buy an additional controller if you want a second different color patterns.

You can use the Gigabyte RGB Fusion software to control the colors on the motherboard, fans and CPU or use the Corsair one.
    I have Corsair RGB RAM too and can't control it on RGB Fusion even though it detects it, I don't mind though as I like the rainbow color.
    Last edited by taemo; 05-27-2020 at 08:51 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Are you a gamer? If not I would get an older video card and just upgrade later on.
    That's the route I went by re-using my old GTX 1060 as I'm waiting for the RTX 3000s later this year or next year.
    Not a gamer. I want the vid card to be able to edit video.
    I'm doing the upgrade path with the CPU. Guy at Memex told me that AMD is releasing refreshed CPUs on June 16th. 3600XT or some shit. I grabbed the 3600 fully expecting to upgrade early 2021 to a 4000 series CPU.

I went with a basic 650W PSU (you don't need 750W either for your specs), not modular and saved me some bucks.
    I just tucked in all the unused cables in the bottom compartment and my Phantek P400A case is very similar to yours.
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX80305
    There are no RGB fanned 650W in stock. lol
    The ICUE 465X was my 2nd case option if I couldnt get a Phantek and that has a controller where you can connect all your RGB fans (up to 6 I think) and control the colors.
    Basically you connect your fans to the controller, then controller to your motherboard.
    You can buy an additional controller if you want a second different color patterns.
    The controller controls the RGBs. I think I need something to control fan speed.
    You can use the Gigabyte RGB Fusion software to control the colors on the motherboard, fans and CPU or use the Corsair one.
    I have Corsair RGB RAM too and can't control it on RGB Fusion even though it detects it, I don't mind though as I like the rainbow color.
    Probably just have to spend more money to get it right is my guess. haha

My Ride
    Ford F150

COD Warzone reference:

Ryzen 3600, RX580 8GB = 1080p, high settings, 80~ FPS. 1440p, medium settings, 70~ FPS. Average FPS over course of game played is 74 according to Radeon software.

Compared to Valorant:

1080p, ultra settings, 200-300 FPS. 4k, ultra settings, 80 FPS.

Sometimes games are just made better than others.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    rally pig

Not a gamer. I want the vid card to be able to edit video.
    I'm doing the upgrade path with the CPU. Guy at Memex told me that AMD is releasing refreshed CPUs on June 16th. 3600XT or some shit. I grabbed the 3600 fully expecting to upgrade early 2021 to a 4000 series CPU.

There are no RGB fanned 650W in stock. lol
    The controller controls the RGBs. I think I need something to control fan speed.

Probably just have to spend more money to get it right is my guess. haha
    Yeah 3600XT, 3800XT and 3900XT.
    Don't know about pricing though but I think the 3600 is still the best bang and cheaper allowing you to upgrade later on more easily.

I dont think RGB PSU will work on your case since the bottom is covered, unless you want some light on the bottom of your case?
    You're right the controller is for colors only, for fan speed the Auros Elite has 2 system fan plugs, you can use a splitter (1 to 2 or 1 to 3) on amazon for cheap to connect your exhaust on one and intake on the other one.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My case has a button to set the fan speed, I connected all 4 fans in my case to it and run it low most of the time and only high when doing CPU intensive tasks

For you guys looking to build a PC right away and not wanting to wait for Ryzen 4000, at least wait until June 16 for the stop-gap Ryzen announcement. Should be available by July 7. They have made some surprising all-core clock gains.

Intel 10th gen was always DOA, but this is the nail in the coffin - Ryzen 3000XT has better single core performance with lower clock speeds and lower power consumption. For multi-core there was never even a comparison even to last year's Ryzen 3XXX price equivalents.

On top of this, word on the street from historically reliable leakers is that Ryzen 4000 has shocked even the engineers who made it with performance well above expectations. Should be well worth the wait.

And remember, those 5.3Ghz turbo clocks Intel is offering will almost never happen, and when they do they will only run until the CPU hits 70C which will be after a few seconds under load. It's also only a single-core turbo, not the entire CPU.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-27-2020 at 11:32 AM.

My Ride

nice benyl.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Now I have gone all ricer and tried to get everything with RGBs.
    I hope that means you're putting stickers on your case for more GHz

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Rev, I love that naked/open case idea. Currently my build is inside a Coolermaster LAN Box case. I wanna do a wall mount, with a shelf underneath for my iPad.

Where can we find one of those cases? They seem to be sold out everywhere.

EDIT: found an LCGS on Amazon
    Last edited by cam_wmh; 05-27-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Rev, I love that naked/open case idea. Currently my build is inside a Coolermaster LAN Box case. I wanna do a wall mount, with a shelf underneath for my iPad.

Where can we find one of those cases? They seem to be sold out everywhere.

EDIT: found an LCGS on Amazon
    I have a Thermaltake P3 on order to downsize my old PC without going mitx/matx.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I have a Thermaltake P3 on order to downsize my old PC without going mitx/matx.
    Nice. What PSU & GPU you got? I've got a Thermaltake SmartSeries 850w, and an MSi GTX 1080
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast