Quantcast
Unusual Experience with a dealership - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Experience with a dealership

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Typically the monthly payment number in the 4-square tactic have 'buffer' built in. They hope that the buyer doesn't calculate the full financed value and compare it with the actual OTD+financed total cost.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this almost seems worse than a 4 square since nothing adds up lol. The trick must be that "plus taxes and fees" that make up the $4000 difference?
    I've never seen the 4 square so I can't tell you what adds up or not. But quick math here shows there's $840 + GST in fees that's not listed.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    haha, the 4 square sheet.
    LOL that's what I saw too. I told Country Hills Toyota to their face I was like..... don't 4 square me. He was like... uhh what? I told him what he did and said "look, I can add and this is over-inflated".

So yes, OP, very common.
    Cos...

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Wait...a $70k Explorer?? When shopping for our 2018 Expedition Max Limited, a brand new Expedition Limited was $71,960. Don’t know if that is a cross shop or not

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    $70k for an Explorer is pretty crazy. $54k for the limited trim is much more reasonable, and you still get a lot of the things that I consider "luxury" touches. I wouldn't dare suggest that any beyond member could survive contact with the lowly $42k XLT trim level, even though it's the same vehicle underneath the bling.
    Are people really paying $70k for a Ford Explorer? That's pretty well GLE SUV or X3M40i pricing. Hard to justify that much money for an SUV that has an interior that would look cheap in a $35k CUV.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I've never seen the 4 square so I can't tell you what adds up or not. But quick math here shows there's $840 + GST in fees that's not listed.
    Tbh I didn't even know what the 4square was until this thread
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Are people really paying $70k for a Ford Explorer? That's pretty well GLE SUV or X3M40i pricing. Hard to justify that much money for an SUV that has an interior that would look cheap in a $35k CUV.
    Yea that’s what I’m thinking too. GLE 450 loaded with everything I want is only 10k more and feels 40k nicer.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    TDi

I was curious about the Telluride and went to NL Kia.. told me they had none in stock and can't get any in until the new year model is out. Odd thing on Kia's part.

I ended up visiting Eastside on the same day and they have no clue what NL was talking about. Sounds like a beyond shitty dealer.
    GO FLAMES GO!

this almost seems worse than a 4 square since nothing adds up lol. The trick must be that "plus taxes and fees" that make up the $4000 difference?
    Let me guess..

"Security Package"
    "Tire Care Package"
    "Documentation Fees"

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    Let me guess..

"Security Package"
    "Tire Care Package"
    "Documentation Fees"

don't forget "Dealer Etching Fee"

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I thought it was ALBERTA VIP PACKAGE
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Haha WTF is that

don't forget "Dealer Etching Fee"

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    $70K for an Explorer is hard to swallow with the rental car interior and build IMO. It used to be one of the highest margin vehicles available, not sure if that still holds true but I wouldn't be surprised. If you need a decent third row and good towing capability though there aren't a ton of options out there. What about an MDX? Too small/weak?
    I was less than impressed with the MDX when I drove it. Felt underpowered and dated, no panoramic roof and the touch screen/knob combo interface was the worst thing I had experienced between Acura, Audi, BMW, Jeep and Mercedes.

Apparently they are doing a big change in 2021 with a better engine and interior.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This. Please test drive a Trackhawk.
    I thought we might want a Durango for the family hauler at one point a couple of years ago. I took my wife to see one. She barely had a foot in the door of the Dodge dealer before she turned around and walked out. Popcorn on the floor, cheesy car dudes wandering around. Felt like a rest-stop wendys. That was the end of the Dodge thing.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Haha WTF is that
    Lone Star used to do that too. I wasn’t happy. It’s $1k security feature to etch the vin on glass.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    I was less than impressed with the MDX when I drove it. Felt underpowered and dated, no panoramic roof and the touch screen/knob combo interface was the worst thing I had experienced between Acura, Audi, BMW, Jeep and Mercedes.

Apparently they are doing a big change in 2021 with a better engine and interior.
    Fair enough. I haven't been in the newest ones yet. It could certainly use the 3.0T that the TLX is getting.

I forgot about the GLE, if the price of one of those is even close to the Explorer that would be an absolute no-brainer. It feels like twice the vehicle compared to an Explorer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Haha WTF is that
    They etch the VIN in the glass so that if someone steals your car and sends it to a chop shop, your glass can technically be tracked. In reality it is 100% useless and a complete money grab.

All these things you do not need to pay for when buying a car, and they are often creatively bundled into little packages with outrageous price tags or made to look like they are mandatory add-ons:

- VIN/Glass Etching
    - Key replacement service (you basically pre-pay for keys you may or may not lose in the future)
    - Any and all "admin" fees or "vehicle preparation" fees or "documentation" fees
    - Anything to do with protection packages, rust protection, undercoating, fabric protection, etc. (unless you specifically requested something)
    - Block heaters
    - Nitrogen in tires
    - Probably something I'm forgetting

Basically what most dealers are doing now is creating a bundle of ultra-high margin "services" that either don't exist or nobody actually uses, and try to add that onto the final bill in place of an admin or doc fee which most people these days are smart enough to know are a 100% money grab. Sometimes they call it a "safety package" or "convenience package" or anything similar like that.

The only thing you need to pay when buying a new car is dealer cost + negotiated dealer profit + Freight/PDI + AMVIC/Tire/AC taxes. Anything else on the bill of sale that you did not explicitly ask for is probably something they are trying to trick you with.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-16-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Yep. Test drove one this weekend, 2020 ST model, was $65,7xx before the minimal discount they offered. Factor in tax and all that other BS and you get there pretty damn quick. I have always been a Ford guy for my work trucks but 70k for that interior on the ST is a huge ask. They said the first 8 they had sold within the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I thought we might want a Durango for the family hauler at one point a couple of years ago. I took my wife to see one. She barely had a foot in the door of the Dodge dealer before she turned around and walked out. Popcorn on the floor, cheesy car dudes wandering around. Felt like a rest-stop wendys. That was the end of the Dodge thing.
    Tower Chrysler? I was there to buy touch up paint and they had mine in stock. My daughter went straight to their pop corn machine, could be a Chrysler thing though. Also, I test drove the trailhawk and the Overland (?) late last year, I liked the Overland better.

Edit: mixed up my trail hawk vs trackhawk.
    Last edited by Clever; 06-16-2020 at 02:13 PM.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

When I went to look for a 2020 Explorer ST back in October, they had production issues that's why the first landed ones sold out quick. I realized while the engine is decent, the rest of the package is not worth $70K.

I think the black trim, gloss black wheels, and painted red standard caliper and a slight hp bump sets it apart from the trim below it.

The ST is gimmicky and you should aim for the highest trim if you like it but for $70+ there's many options than settling with Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    Wait...a $70k Explorer?? When shopping for our 2018 Expedition Max Limited, a brand new Expedition Limited was $71,960. Don’t know if that is a cross shop or not
    I had heard the new explorers were jumping up huge in cost this year but 70 for an explorer is pretty nutty. Im pretty sure the new expedition limited will run you 80k easy now. Im also positive the new F150 will jump up in price too.

Just checked and a 20 Expedition max limited starts at 80k and goes up to 85k if you want LEds and 22's.
    Last edited by Rocket1k78; 06-16-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast