Quantcast
Any ideas on how to fix a set of sagging stairs from the mainfloor to the basement? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any ideas on how to fix a set of sagging stairs from the mainfloor to the basement?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Builder will state that anybody could have fucked with those stairs at some point in the last 30 years so they're not touching them.

I understand the frustration but we're talking about a house that's 30 years old. LOL. The builder and stair supplier aren't even going to have an employee that was at the company 30 years ago!

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Builder will state that anybody could have fucked with those stairs at some point in the last 30 years so they're not touching them.
    Could they say anybody could have 'fucked with my stairs/roof/walls/foundation/plumbing' the day after move in and not fix? I'm not saying OP should have his hopes up at all, I just don't understand how this excuse could ever factor in.

I say Shane Homes should pull those OG installers out of retirement to fix!

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Could they say anybody could have 'fucked with my stairs/roof/walls/foundation/plumbing' the day after move in and not fix? I'm not saying OP should have his hopes up at all, I just don't understand how this excuse could ever factor in.

I say Shane Homes should pull those OG installers out of retirement to fix!
    Its pretty easy for the original installer to know if it was messed with within months to a year. its entirely different 30 years later when it was done by a company or person that may not exist anymore.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

There might have even been a support in the original installation that someone removed to make storage space.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I blame the homeowner.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Update - The Construction Manager @ Shane homes replied today after returning to the office. They said they'll come and fix it. Definitely they're doing the right thing. Problem is that the stairs are fixed now, so a bit of a moot point.

Tik-tok - No there was no support underneath the stairs since the time it was built. If there was, you would've seen that in the epoxy floor. The basement floors were epoxied by the builder, so you'd easily be able to see any modifications/removal of support structures.

ExtraSlow - not sure how you can blame the homeowners for faulty design and bad execution in construction. It would be analogous to the Tanaka airbag situation, would you blame the car's owner for an airbag failing?

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

While not as drastic as JDMMAN's situation, we had a drain leaking into the basement when my son took a shower in our upstairs bathroom. This started happening about 5 years after the house was built, and we weren't the original owners. Turns out that when we re-did our main floor bathroom and moved the toilet roll holder, it opened up the hole they made when it was originally installed. Excel homes came out and repaired everything, fixed the drywall and offered to re-paint the bathroom. I was very impressed that they stepped up and fixed it even though I wasn't the original home owner.

So there are some good home builders out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2