Computer setup for photo editing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer setup for photo editing

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Computer setup for photo editing

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I built my photo editing rig with a 3600 and Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite back in December and I've been really happy with it. Granted, I was coming from an 8 year old i7 2600k so anything modern would have been substantially better haha
    Interesting, this is what I have. I figured the slow-down was a result of incremental crap that I download/install/uninstall etc. I've tried to speed up LR by making a massive scratch disk, putting the catalogs, photos and Adobe progams all on one hard drive...

What's unfortunate is that because I'm still on W7, I can't take advatange of the GPU. My specs are:

i7 2600K
    32Gb DDR3
    P8P67 Mobo (this is old, I'll admit)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 SC
    WD Black HDD for storage/programs, SSD for boot

Maybe an OC would add some noticeable performance.

When you use the sliders in LR, are they liquid smooth or a tiny big laggy?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Interesting, this is what I have. I figured the slow-down was a result of incremental crap that I download/install/uninstall etc. I've tried to speed up LR by making a massive scratch disk, putting the catalogs, photos and Adobe progams all on one hard drive...

What's unfortunate is that because I'm still on W7, I can't take advatange of the GPU. My specs are:

i7 2600K
    32Gb DDR3
    P8P67 Mobo (this is old, I'll admit)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 SC
    WD Black HDD for storage/programs, SSD for boot

Maybe an OC would add some noticeable performance.

When you use the sliders in LR, are they liquid smooth or a tiny big laggy?
    Your set up is better than my old rig:

Intel i7 2600k
    Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3
    16GB RAM
    Win 7

and I was also using integrated video. The only reason why I upgraded in December was because I had a leftover balance on my wellness benefit that I would have lost had I not used it, otherwise I'd still be on the same hardware; I never felt the computer was holding me back with my editing.

I'm assuming when you put all your LR files and catalogues onto the same hard drive, it was an SSD you put it on? If that's the case, spend the $20 and get a Windows 10 license from OnTheHub so that you can enable GPU acceleration in Lightroom. Keep in mind Adobe is still pretty behind the ball with utilizing the GPU, so it only makes a difference with previews, not processing:

How does Lightroom Classic leverage the graphics processor?

You can use a compatible graphics processor (also called a graphics card, video card, or GPU) in Lightroom Classic to speed up the task of adjusting images in the Develop module. If you run Lightroom Classic on a Windows computer, using a compatible graphics processor accelerates rendering of images in the Library module's Grid view, Loupe view, and Filmstrip. Enhance Details feature in Lightroom Classic is also accelerated by GPU. Using a compatible graphics processor can also provide a significant speed improvement on high-resolution displays, such as 4K and 5K monitors.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/lightroom...m-gpu-faq.html

I added a $50 R9 270x and yeah, it was noticeably smoother than integrated video so I think your GTX 960 will make a huge difference:

NVIDIA: For NVIDIA cards, consider using a card from the GeForce GTX 760+ line (760, 770, 780, or later) or from the GeForce GTX 900 series.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Maybe we can split this off for the photog section, sorry fellas.

I have all my photos, Adobe programs, scratch disk and catalogs on a HDD (4TB). Perhaps there are way to optimize the current setup.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Maybe we can split this off for the photog section, sorry fellas.

I have all my photos, Adobe programs, scratch disk and catalogs on a HDD (4TB). Perhaps there are way to optimize the current setup.
    At minimum, put your catalogues, scratch, and previews on an SSD for faster reading/writing. Putting the programs on an SSD won't really make a huge difference outside of the initial start up, after that it runs from memory.

Photos, I split into two categories (actually three): photos that need to be worked on and photos I'm done with. My workflow is to copy all photos onto an SSD and into Lightroom until I'm finished editing, then I delete them from my catalogue and copy it to a "Done" HDD. Then I periodically clean up my "Done" folder and move them to a couple "Archive" drives. But all this has more to do with anal retentive housekeeping than speed optimization.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Your set up is better than my old rig:

Intel i7 2600k
    Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3
    16GB RAM
    Win 7
    Your old rig is basically my current rig, haha. Chugs a bit on export to HDD but quite usable otherwise.

My Ride
    rally pig

At minimum, put your catalogues, scratch, and previews on an SSD for faster reading/writing. Putting the programs on an SSD won't really make a huge difference outside of the initial start up, after that it runs from memory.

Photos, I split into two categories (actually three): photos that need to be worked on and photos I'm done with. My workflow is to copy all photos onto an SSD and into Lightroom until I'm finished editing, then I delete them from my catalogue and copy it to a "Done" HDD. Then I periodically clean up my "Done" folder and move them to a couple "Archive" drives. But all this has more to do with anal retentive housekeeping than speed optimization.
    +1
    Put catalog, preview and cache on SSD, RAW file is ok to be on HDD.

I'm running 2 SSDs (first is OS and second is for Lightroom catalog/preview/cache and games) and 1 HDD to store all my raw files which gets synced to my NAS and the cloud.
    I also have several smaller catalogs instead of having one giant one.

Also when I import raw photos in a catalog, I first run a 1:1 build preview on all of them before working on them. Otherwise there's a 3s load time on each file when I first zoom into them on my current i4790 CPU, build preview will be ~30% faster if I upgrade to Ryzen 3600.

My Ride
    rally pig

The only reason why I upgraded in December was because I had a leftover balance on my wellness benefit that I would have lost had I not used it, otherwise I'd still be on the same hardware; I never felt the computer was holding me back with my editing.

I'm assuming when you put all your LR files and catalogues onto the same hard drive, it was an SSD you put it on? If that's the case, spend the $20 and get a Windows 10 license from OnTheHub so that you can enable GPU acceleration in Lightroom. Keep in mind Adobe is still pretty behind the ball with utilizing the GPU, so it only makes a difference with previews, not processing:
    haha same here, I dont see myself traveling much this year so I'm thinking of using my wellness benefit on a new computer instead.

my photo editing workflow is pretty simple and basic anyway but exporting to jpeg should be noticeably quicker on a newer CPU but not a huge deal either.
    the i7 4790 CPU is still pretty good in 2020 and I'm just itching to build something new

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

iPad Pro for 99% of edits now
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Your old rig is basically my current rig, haha. Chugs a bit on export to HDD but quite usable otherwise.
    It's a tried, trusted, and true setup! The computers didn't get slower, the megapixels just got bigger! I keep forgetting you guys are using 36MP bodies so that's gotta be factored in.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Also when I import raw photos in a catalog, I first run a 1:1 build preview on all of them before working on them.
    How long does that add to the import process? I never thought to do that, but then again I rarely zoom in 1:1 unless I need to clone out sensor dust or something.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'll migrate all that over to the boot SSD and see if there is a difference, thanks!

How big is you're guys' cache/scratch disk size?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

How long does that add to the import process? I never thought to do that, but then again I rarely zoom in 1:1 unless I need to clone out sensor dust or something.
    not a lot, about 2-3s per file, basically it's just pre-rendering the 1:1 previews all at once instead of you having to wait ~2s whenever you zoom in to a file.

I'll migrate all that over to the boot SSD and see if there is a difference, thanks!

How big is you're guys' cache/scratch disk size?
    200GB but that's because I have a 500GB SSD for Lightroom/games but TBH dont see much difference between when it was set to 20GB vs 200GB
    I also set my preview retention to 1 week as by then usually I'm usually done post processing. I thought about keeping my preview forever but with 3+ TB of files, that would mean at least 1TB of extra storage
    Last edited by taemo; 05-18-2020 at 09:43 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've always kept my cache size the default. I think it was more important that it's moved to a fast reading/writing disk.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Lightroom was a lot smoother going from 4790 to 2700. It's a little smoother going from 2700 to 3600x, but I would say that it's probably due to the newer hardware and nvme drive.
    Luminar, however, continues to be slow.

Catalogs on ssd, raw and output files on sata.

My Ride
    rally pig

I finished installing Windows 10 and Lightroom CC on the new rig and yeah... on the 4790, there was a 2.5-3s delay when zooming in 1:1 on an image.
    On the 3700X.. 0-0.5s

This is only with 1 NVME SSD drive though, will see how it fares once I connect my Lightroom Catalog SSD drive and Storage HDD drive.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Did you enable GPU acceleration in LR?

My Ride
    rally pig

Did you enable GPU acceleration in LR?
    yup same setting as in the old machine and same video card (6GB GTX 1060)

Use Graphics Processor: Custom
    "Use GPU for display" and "Use GPU for image processing" both checked.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Haha nice

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 236
Size:  859.9 KB

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Remember to build 1:1 previews after you’ve culled your images!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I finished installing Windows 10 and Lightroom CC on the new rig and yeah... on the 4790, there was a 2.5-3s delay when zooming in 1:1 on an image.
    On the 3700X.. 0-0.5s
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00X/1985vs4043

Wow double the cores and threads vs. what I have...I'd have to do a complete rebuild though.

Maybe I can OC this thing a nunch and see if there's much, if any, performance difference.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast