Thread: Going to AA boys

My Ride
    ute

Y'all are a bunch of lushes

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont drink so i dont know how many drinks in a bottle but yeah hes definitely not doing 1 bottle every 3 days if its 6 shots a day. Like i said, he said 2-3 days per but it realistically is more like 1-2 days per bottle
    There are almost seventeen 1.5oz "standard drinks" in a bottle. "A shot" is typically only 1oz and falls short of a standard drink.
    I believe that people who have the shakes are drinking at least a bottle per day.

Thought you were messing around but i googled it and sure enough. Had no idea but after reading it it makes sense, hes to the point where he has to wake up in the middle of the night for a drink or else he starts to shake real bad so hes totally likely to have some serious withdrawals
    This is the only valid reason liquor stores were considered essential.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Need some help fellas. One of my best friends has had a drinking problem for a while now and on friday we had a good heart to heart and i finally found out how bad it was, hes averaging about a bottle of vodka every 2-3 days so that could very well be every 1-2 days.
    Hes a stubborn bastard and has refused any help but we cant let this go on anymore. Is AA the best start or should we look into some serious rehab? Hes got a family so is not ideal that he go to some place for weeks but its also not fair to his wife and kids that hes an alcoholic. Thanks in advance guys
    If he wants to get better than that is the first step.
    I would not recommend him stopping drinking right away. That can be bad if not fatal. Its best he speak to a professional to assess how bad his addiction is. The alcoholics lie to themselves on how they are drinking. I used to run a bar and a liquor store. Its a eye opener. AA or rehab are not bad ideas. But I would start with a professional first to figure out how much is a lot.
    But it is a journey in itself to find out WHY he is drinking, that is one of the steps in stopping. It can be a number of reasons. Past trauma, the way his wife speaks to him or treats him, does he have a purpose, financial reasons...? It could be a combination.

But if he is stubborn then there is another way. I personally think having good male support/company with good habits is absolutely vital in that journey of recovery. I can't stress this enough. A safe place where he can release with no judgement mentally. It could be something like having him over for wings once a week. Playing pool or helping you on a hobby.
    My late father father was a alcoholic. He cleaned up in the last decade. But I remember as a early preteen is helping carrying my dad out of the car as he had drank so much and could not walk or stopping massive fights at home ..the list is fucking endless. If I could pick one thing that would have made the biggest difference to my dads alcohol habit, I wish there was in those times was other good adult males. Men that my dad could turn to for indirect support though good habits or hobbies. Not only that but other women to talk to my mum to correct some of her behaviour. There was none. Its a community issue.
    I cannot stress the importance of having other men there to help. One of my ex girlfriends tuned out to be a major alcoholic too. I cannot stress the importance of having good people of the same sex around with good habits to support that person.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

He needs outside help for sure, hes tried and managed to get it under a bit of control at one point to where he only had so many drinks a day but hes back to just drinking whatever. He needs help 100% just not sure where to start.
    If he's not willing to talk to anyone about it yet then perhaps you could try getting him Allen Carr's "Quit Drinking Without Willpower" book.

I've had friends quit smoking from his books and it's the book that helped Nikki Glaser quit drinking as well - even if it doesn't work out it's worth the $10 to try.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    If he wants to get better than that is the first step.
    I would not recommend him stopping drinking right away. That can be bad if not fatal. Its best he speak to a professional to assess how bad his addiction is. The alcoholics lie to themselves on how they are drinking. I used to run a bar and a liquor store. Its a eye opener. AA or rehab are not bad ideas. But I would start with a professional first to figure out how much is a lot.
    But it is a journey in itself to find out WHY he is drinking, that is one of the steps in stopping. It can be a number of reasons. Past trauma, the way his wife speaks to him or treats him, does he have a purpose, financial reasons...? It could be a combination.

But if he is stubborn then there is another way. I personally think having good male support/company with good habits is absolutely vital in that journey of recovery. I can't stress this enough. A safe place where he can release with no judgement mentally. It could be something like having him over for wings once a week. Playing pool or helping you on a hobby.
    My late father father was a alcoholic. He cleaned up in the last decade. But I remember as a early preteen is helping carrying my dad out of the car as he had drank so much and could not walk or stopping massive fights at home ..the list is fucking endless. If I could pick one thing that would have made the biggest difference to my dads alcohol habit, I wish there was in those times was other good adult males. Men that my dad could turn to for indirect support though good habits or hobbies. Not only that but other women to talk to my mum to correct some of her behaviour. There was none. Its a community issue.
    I cannot stress the importance of having other men there to help. One of my ex girlfriends tuned out to be a major alcoholic too. I cannot stress the importance of having good people of the same sex around with good habits to support that person.
    Hes always been a drinker but this stems from some family issues so you have some very valid points. I like the idea about getting together with him once a week too, theres 3 of us that are all on board with some type of serious help and theyre all good people so thats a good start.

Really appreciate all the help so far guys, its sad to see a good friend go down this route
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4