Quantcast
Do you still buy magazines? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you still buy magazines these days?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty frequently

12 12.77%
  • Not so frequently

19 20.21%
  • Hardly at all

23 24.47%
  • Never

40 42.55%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you still buy magazines?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Default Do you still buy magazines?

Since magazines were brought up in another thread, and since old man yelling at clouds polls are all the rage here these days, I wonder - does anyone here still buy magazines?

I subscribe to C10 Builder's Guide, just because there's only three issues a year and it can be hard to find. I should also subscribe to Street Trucks since I buy almost every issue. Others I buy, but not as frequently:

- Hot Rod
    - Diesel Builders Guide
    - Classic Trucks
    - Super Chevy
    - Chevy High Performance
    - Car Craft
    - Diesel World
    - Diesel Power
    - Musclecar Review
    - Roadkill
    - Truckin

I do read a little bit online, but most magazines have terrible websites. Hot Rod isn't bad, and Diesel Power is completely unmanageable. Plus, for me there's something about holding onto something physical that I can't get past. That magazine will never change, and it's like that's the official record of when that car "made it". I still remember an issue of Hot Rod from back in the mid 90s, of a 1968 Dodge Charger built for one of those open road races in Nevada or wherever and the big deal about it was that it would do 190mph. There could be another one exactly like it sitting right beside it, but it'll never be as cool as the first one because that one was in Hot Rod Magazine.

Anyone else? Am I the only old timey fuck?
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

One or two a year, prior to vacations. Scientific American, the economist, stuff with longer articles.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I used to have a top gear subscription, guilty pleasure.

Reading a car magazine on the beach in the Caribbean: Perfection.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I have a CAR subscription and still really enjoy reading them.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Used to subscribe to Nat Geo, I really like them. Just such a waste when I’m done. Bookshelf of magazines sitting for years, does the library take them?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I have road and track or car and driver. They just keep sending them, pretty sure I havnt paid in years.

Reading them at the pool in Mexico is the best.

My Ride
    Lease

That's what Chapters is for, esp some with the built in Starbucks

My Ride
    G37X

Yes, quite regularly buy new magazines at chapters. Or used issues off eBay. Nothing better than flipping pages on an airplane or a lazy Sunday at home as well as on the ferry. I subscribed to GM high tech performance for years. I was quite disappointed when they canceled the mag and moved it online. Too easy to get sidetracked and distracted online.

Name:  C0E16C99-E624-46F8-99C3-8718EA4D4BC6.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  36.7 KB

I stopped a few years ago but wish I didn’t. After reading so many text books in university and now at work reading long winded emails and technical papers when I come home I have about a 30 second attention span for recreational reading.

I'm a old guy. Magazines were the internet of our day. Grew up reading everything form Car Craft to Omni and had many subscriptions in the day. Still enjoy picking up the odd magazine from Chapter/Indigo's.

My Ride

I used to subscribe to Dirt Bike magazine, but the content started to suck and the advertisers really started to skew the articles, so I stopped.

I still pick up a grassroots motorsports mag from time to time.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I jump on a half dozen free subs every year, mostly for the wife. Food Network, women's health, cosmo, men's health, car and track, etc. Thanks RFD.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

I prefer reading magazines and books over e-reading, but I still find I am reading less of them than I used to. I am not finding many that are as well done as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Abeo View Post
    I used to subscribe to Dirt Bike magazine, but the content started to suck and the advertisers really started to skew the articles, so I stopped.

I agree. Happened to me as well. It became painfully clear the writers favoured the advertisers and they lost all credibility. But my faith was restored, at least for 4x4ing magazines, when I picked up a mag from Chapters called 4WD, from Australia. They used to even bundle up a few issues as they were usually old, but wow, were they brutally honest. It was refreshing to read test drives of new rigs and they would tear them apart. They didn't care who they pissed off. Sadly, haven't seen them in the last few years and have noticed the number of magazines have gone way down and become much thinner.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Dirt Bike used to be my preferred mag over Dirt Rider or Racer-X because it (used to) be much less biased, and had a lot more actual content than the others. Now they all are about the same. Not even sure if Racer-X is even around anymore? I stick to Dirt Rider theee days, as there isn’t much else out there. Their 2018 new bike roundup issue was pretty good.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

A few motorcycle touring mags I occasionally buy, same with super Chevy and a few other GM related mags, such as Classic Chevy trucks and the like. I rarely ever buy mags now, perhaps a couple times a year at best.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Quote Originally Posted by blueToy View Post
    I'm a old guy. Magazines were the internet of our day. Grew up reading everything form Car Craft to Omni and had many subscriptions in the day. Still enjoy picking up the odd magazine from Chapter/Indigo's.
    Omni magazine, shit I used to have a subscription to them back in the 79/80's, still have some kicking around that I'll occassionly get out and read.
    Will fuck off, again.

Basically never buy magazines. My wife still gets a few home design ones though.

Last summer I subbed to Macleans because it was $20 for the year. Will not be renewing though, their SJW bullshit is off the chart these days.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I bought a 10 year subscription way back when, but I've refused to re-up. One is that their content is not "grassroots" at all anymore (when they spent $15k prepping a f&cking focus svt to go around cones in a gravel parking lot, I knew the end was nigh), the other is that they are getting very social issues preachy which isn't what I read a goddamn car mag for.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Dirt Bike used to be my preferred mag over Dirt Rider or Racer-X because it (used to) be much less biased, and had a lot more actual content than the others. Now they all are about the same. Not even sure if Racer-X is even around anymore? I stick to Dirt Rider theee days, as there isn’t much else out there. Their 2018 new bike roundup issue was pretty good.
    I think Dirt Rider ceased publication recently. I read it from the early 90's, until when Tom Webb left the mag... it turned into MXA to me (I don't care about MX or SX).

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I bought a 10 year subscription way back when, but I've refused to re-up. One is that their content is not "grassroots" at all anymore (when they spent $15k prepping a f&cking focus svt to go around cones in a gravel parking lot, I knew the end was nigh), the other is that they are getting very social issues preachy which isn't what I read a goddamn car mag for.
    Yeah, I see that... reading the magazine is like looking into their echo chamber. That's why I never got a subscription. Also, they certainly have a "type" of car they prefer. Miata, Subaru, or 3-series. Anything else is treated as a sideshow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast