Quantcast
Aston Martin CEO replaced by Mercedes-AMG CEO - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin CEO replaced by Mercedes-AMG CEO

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Aston Martin CEO replaced by Mercedes-AMG CEO

https://www.ft.com/content/cbea48e5-...b-af04ee0cdb5b

The AM to AMG transformation is almost complete. Moers has been pretty unhappy with Daimler board forcing hybrids down AMGs throat, but no choice with EU’s draconian CO2 penalties.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

Sub'd.
    It will be interesting to see how holdouts to partial EV tech do in the next five years. Are they stubborn, or are they such purists that they will maintain a limited following?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.ft.com/content/cbea48e5-...b-af04ee0cdb5b

The AM to AMG transformation is almost complete. Moers has been pretty unhappy with Daimler board forcing hybrids down AMGs throat, but no choice with EU’s draconian CO2 penalties.
    So the real AMG’s will be AM? I can live with that.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    So the real AMG’s will be AM? I can live with that.
    Not really. There will be no new ICE developments at Mercedes, including AMG. That stopped last year. The M256 that’s in my E53 will be their last ICE. Collector status baby.

Future AMGs will leverage hybrid coupled with their existing ICE engines before moving to full electric. The first is the M256 + mild hybrid that’s already in my car, the next will be the “73” which is the M177 4L V8 TT coupled to a 200hp plug in electric drivetrain. After that the next “63” is rumored to have the M139 I4 turbo 45 engine coupled to the same 200hp plug in hybrid drivetrain. It’s this last choice that pissed off Moers apparently. That drivetrain is already developed (with lower outputs) in the GLC350e. All this shit is stop gap as Daimler goes full steam ahead on EVs.

Those are also the setups that AM will get in the future. Or they just continue to use legacy engines Pagani style.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Not really. There will be no new ICE developments at Mercedes, including AMG. That stopped last year. The M256 that’s in my E53 will be their last ICE. Collector status baby.

Future AMGs will leverage hybrid coupled with their existing ICE engines before moving to full electric. The first is the M256 + mild hybrid that’s already in my car, the next will be the “73” which is the M177 4L V8 TT coupled to a 200hp plug in electric drivetrain. After that the next “63” is rumored to have the M139 I4 turbo 45 engine coupled to the same 200hp plug in hybrid drivetrain. It’s this last choice that pissed off Moers apparently. That drivetrain is already developed (with lower outputs) in the GLC350e. All this shit is stop gap as Daimler goes full steam ahead on EVs.

Those are also the setups that AM will get in the future. Or they just continue to use legacy engines Pagani style.
    This post is more depressing than anything in the COVID thread.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This post is more depressing than anything in the COVID thread.
    Embrace it man. The drivability is exactly what I’ve been looking for all these years. Gf drove my car the other day and complained how sensitive the throttle was. In Eco mode.

My Ride
    This and that.

The way things are going, I do not look forward to the automotive future at all.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    The way things are going, I do not look forward to the automotive future at all.
    Vehicles will lose their personality. Styling and packaging will vary from manufacturer but they will all accelerate quickly and quietly. No exhaust rumble, no feel of changing gears, etc. Just uneventful speed. Take a manufacturer like Subaru for instance. They thrive on being different from their rivals with their boxer engine and longitudinal engine layout but once we go all EV they will lose all uniqueness as they will be offering the same layouts as everyone else. What's going to differentiate a 911 from a Corvette outside of styling? The automobile enthusiast is a dying breed anyway as the market transitions to SUV's but EV's will be the final nail in the coffin.

My Ride
    ute

I've been saying that for years. It'll be a bit like cell phones. Remember when we argued over which phone was better? Now they are basically all the same. Ev will just turn cars into exceptionally competent commodities.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I've been saying that for years. It'll be a bit like cell phones. Remember when we argued over which phone was better? Now they are basically all the same. Ev will just turn cars into exceptionally competent commodities.
    Umm people definitely still argue about which smartphone is better

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Umm people definitely still argue about which smartphone is better
    There’s always going to be nerds and fanboys but largely nobody cares anymore. You used to see dedicated threads on pretty well any forum on android vs Apple. It’s largely limited to the odd drive post by a fanboy hating on Apple these days. It will be the same with the odd blue oval poster hating on a GM EV but largely the industry will come down to generic vehicles differentiated largely by level of luxury and handling tweaks.
    Last edited by heavyD; 05-25-2020 at 02:03 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Vehicles with old, simple tech (eg. 3v heads, no variable timing, no DI, etc.) will start to climb in price as a result.

Most people dont care about vehicles more than they care about their TV. SUVs all look the same, have the same HP and the same bad over-tech setup and are over-styled (but not as bad as the civic).
    Last edited by revelations; 05-25-2020 at 02:13 PM.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

If you think that is depressing, think about autonomous driving cars. Not too hard to imagine that nobody owns a car and you just order one on your cell phone to pick you up when they need to go somewhere. You pay a subscription and the type of subscription determines the kind of car you get. But premium would be based upon comforts and features not exterior style or performance. No sense in having more power than necessary since speed is regulated. Insurance would change big time too. No more insurance based upon your record or the bracket you fall into. Instead insurance would be based on the reputation of the company supplying the cars.

So what does that mean for ICE cars? My guess would be that eventually the only place you would use them would be a track. Which means that cars you can enjoy on a track would be in demand. But your ordinary commuter cars will become worthless. I think of when the car replaced the horse. Horses used to be needed everywhere - for work, travel and pleasure. Now they are just for pleasure. And high end race horses still command big money.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you want to know where ice car laws will be in 20 years, just look at gun laws lol

fact.

My Ride
    ute

autonomous electric vehicles would be an enormous boost to the economy. It's jsut boring.

My Ride

Farmers are buying old tractors now as the new ones are too complicated (among other reasons).

- - - Updated - - -

autonomous electric vehicles would be an enormous boost to the economy. It's jsut boring.
    FSD vehicles will never come to play in Canada for 12 months of the year - until someone pays for smart roads (toll).

My Ride
    ute

never is a long time

My Ride

never is a long time
    it was never with a clause - until the FSD systems can determine with 100% accuracy, the centre of a road lane , along with edges - in snow covered roads - this will never come to canada - or most northern states.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Remember back when we used stars to navigate.

I bet people used to say thousands of crazy metal contraptions flying through outer space able to tell us exactly where we are anywhere in the world accurate to a meter would NEVER happen.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Never in @speedog s lifetime maybe?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast