Quantcast
Squeeze more cars in the garage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Squeeze more cars in the garage

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Default Squeeze more cars in the garage

I’ve got a 24’ wide garage. Length is similar, I think. It’s got floor to ceiling shelves on both sides. A double garage door.

As a car guy, space becomes an issue. I’ve run various calculations and gather I can fit 3 cars in here?

Our life style is really 1 car all year, with 1 summer car kicking around. If I was to get a third, I’ll pick up a few wheel dollies, push summer cars to either corner and park daily in between. Think of each of these cars as size of accord.

I would hate to bring all the shelving down and then fail vs. just getting a storage spot somewhere.

Has anyone tried this? Bad idea?

My Ride
    ute

i hear houses are a good deal right now.

how is the Ceiling Height? Can you do a lift?

I have found that when I try and do too much in a space that it gets difficult to organize things and even more difficult to move around during projects. Drives me crazy. I'd think about what you would do to make up for the loss of all that storage space, how you would move around the car when doing tires or a brake job, and where you would lay parts out while working on them. That's what got me in the end.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Depending on vehicle size and how inventive you get, you can squeeze 4-5 cars in there. My parents have a 22x24 garage I believe it is and my dad managed to stack small cars off to the side and then pull two normal size cars beside it by having one reversed in and the other forward, doors open in the middle. Custom shelving above, full size 4x10 work bench with lathe, English wheel, 5000lb scissor lift, rolling tool box, 3 bicycles, sheet metal, 3 sets of wheels and tires etc all fit in there. It’s a Tetris miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depending on vehicle size and how inventive you get, you can squeeze 4-5 cars in there. My parents have a 22x24 garage I believe it is and my dad managed to stack small cars off to the side and then pull two normal size cars beside it by having one reversed in and the other forward, doors open in the middle. Custom shelving above, full size 4x10 work bench with lathe, English wheel, 5000lb scissor lift, rolling tool box, 3 bicycles, sheet metal, 3 sets of wheels and tires etc all fit in there. It’s a Tetris miracle.
    I think I need to see pics to believe it. This sounds wild.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I think I need to see pics to believe it. This sounds wild.
    I’ll take some later on. Granted the cars are very small (two coupes, two very small convertibles). It took a lot of custom work and thought to make it work. My extended cab short box truck doesn’t even fit in there length wise to work on it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Not sure on what your neighbourhood is like but why not just park one of the summer cars or the DD outside? Then in the winter you can always find a place to store one of the summer toys for fairly cheap.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Bless your soul for actually using your garage to park your cars.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Not sure on what your neighbourhood is like but why not just park one of the summer cars or the DD outside? Then in the winter you can always find a place to store one of the summer toys for fairly cheap.
    Hail

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My parents own a 26x26

This is how we used it. Forgive the potato phone pic from 2010
    Name:  bxORdXvg.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  59.6 KB

Middle car is fully touching the wall. The other 2 are S-parked in. All doors accessible minus the passenger side on the Jeep. But there's also 2ft deep shelving on that side.
    I think you'd have to give up some of your lower shelves to go with this setup?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I've parked 4 (or stored 2 and parked 2) in a 34' wide triple. I've also stored 1 and parked 1 in a 15' wide garage before.

So it can be done yes. Assuming you don't have any super wide vehicles.

I use wheel dollies to push the one vehicle sideways and the floor needs to be extremely clean (no pebbles) or else the casters will stop dead haha. Also you need 2 people to move the car on the dollies.

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Need pics

- - - Updated - - -

I think safe to conclude that I can buy car #3. I’ll show this to wife. All I have to do is buy a small shed or custom cabinets to store all junk that’s in there right now. Unfortunately, I don’t have the ride height for life...

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

What car are you getting?
    Find a friend with similar size and do a test fit

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    Need pics

- - - Updated - - -

I think safe to conclude that I can buy car #3. I’ll show this to wife. All I have to do is buy a small shed or custom cabinets to store all junk that’s in there right now. Unfortunately, I don’t have the ride height for life...

That's easy enough to get around depending on the lift you get. Blocks to drive up on for a 2 post or longish ramps for a 4 post.. it's still doable.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I did 4 vehicles in a 35’ wide triple and it’s not ideal.

If you use your garage for loading/unloading and getting kids in etc, can’t be done.

Purely for storage, doable.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    I did 4 vehicles in a 35’ wide triple and it’s not ideal.

If you use your garage for loading/unloading and getting kids in etc, can’t be done.

Purely for storage, doable.
    Interesting. Were all 4 in use or 3 in use? Were the accord size or that and bigger?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    Interesting. Were all 4 in use or 3 in use? Were the accord size or that and bigger?
    Three in use. Didn’t do it often, but when somebody would visit and spend the night.

Wouldn’t really advise it, but we could have made some more adjustments too.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft