Quantcast
Black Lives Matter discussion - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter discussion

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So even though ones who were qualified and would have got the job anyway had to deal with bullshit...which was my fucking point. That this kind of questioning isn't limited to white men, who have had a long history of their own kind of hiring advantages. Less codified, sure. But definitely there (this is even ignoring the freebies like 'coloured's need not apply').

"What did I personally do to deserve blowback? Be specific."

What did the people "who were qualified and would have gotten the job anyway" personally do to deal with extra bullshit? What did they personally do to be second guessed by everyone?

Maybe you didn't do anything. You're just unlucky to have been put into a group because of something out of your control.
    The solution is clearly to just make a better, improved, version of racism.

Racism 2.0.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I am clearly not adding anything to this conversation, so I'm going to step back from it. Best wishes everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

Racism 2.0.
    People are totally fine with discrimination, they just want to make sure it tilts the scales toward them.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Asian hate was just getting started. Now its definitely back on whitey. In a completely selfish way - Its a little bit of a relief.
    Lol one asian and a bat vs one white murderer...

Redirected the hate in a matter of 8 minutes.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Racism 2.0.
    If you say so.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Every time I've been the victim of police brutality I for sure deserved it.
    Me too

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I am leaning towards identifying as Samoan. Everyone loves them and no one takes them seriously now that Moana has become a big hit. What do you think?

My Ride

Nickelodeon off the air for 8 min 46 seconds

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA6cGr3BZ-p/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I am leaning towards identifying as Samoan. Everyone loves them and no one takes them seriously now that Moana has become a big hit. What do you think?
    What can I say except you’re welcome.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    If you say so.
    Racism 2.0 is a little more catchy than your long winded version I think.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Over under on odds of anything actually changing due to these protests/riots? What’s the ultimate goal here, make people aware of racism, which has been a thing since the dawn of time, and eliminate so-called racist police attitudes towards minorities? I can’t see anything changing once all this blows over, and it will, people will forget and move onto something else to complain about. Police departments will have PowerPoint presentations and not much else will change.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Over under on odds of anything actually changing due to these protests/riots? What’s the ultimate goal here, make people aware of racism, which has been a thing since the dawn of time, and eliminate so-called racist police attitudes towards minorities? I can’t see anything changing once all this blows over, and it will, people will forget and move onto something else to complain about. Police departments will have PowerPoint presentations and not much else will change.
    The goal is free Gucci. For the looters anyways.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

They cameraman panned over to the Hublot store a few times as if to foreshadow an ominous event.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Its not really about racism (racial superiority) when it comes to the police - its about stereotyping. Police (of all races) associate black people in the ghettos as being crime ridden, so naturally they will conduct more patrols in these areas and also more as a consequence of increased 911 calls.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I was interested in tracking how bad police killings in the US has gotten, as I suspected we're probably seeing more amplification to the forefront because of social media vs actually being more. Was pretty surprised that I was mostly correct. Remember, this is all police killings, regardless if it's in the right or wrong. There is no data to track unwarranted police killings.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/nationaltrends

National average is flat over the last 7 years, while black people being killed by police were actually on a downtrend. Was also curious about the alarming front page stat of 3x more likely for a black person to be killed than a white person so I tried to dig into the # of interactions with police, but none of those stats breaks down by race. The closest I could find were crime rates and incarceration rates, which was a shocking 5x more by black people per capita than white people. So in theory, there are less black people killed per crime than white people.

Not defending the police here, police violence is definitely a problem in the US, but I don't think black people are being singled out more so than white people, except on social media.
    I think people have forgotten that there are more than 320 million people living in the states, only about 1 million of them cops, whom have having 50+ million documented interactions with citizens of all race including many arrests. There is bound to be a couple questionable, negligent deaths, or murder - regardless of race.

Don't get me wrong, a few deaths is still too much, but given the complexity, physicality, and inherent danger of police work, that's actually pretty impressive.

My Ride

You racist! How dare you suggest that racism against black people is not institutionalized and systematic. lol

The interesting question is not that black people get killed more by cops, but why the crime statistics are so far skewed towards black people. There is a reason that black people engage in more criminal activity, and it isn't because of the color of their skin. So we need to explore what is causing the underlying issue. The black/cop/crime relationship is a symptom of some other problem which isn't being addressed. When people blame cops for black peoples' problems, they are very confused on the causality.
    Finally someone that gets it.

We have to look at the big picture. Socioeconomics, education levels, lack of public funding, historical or cultural perspective, poverty, medical issues, drug use, parental issues, victimization to crime, negative view of police. The list goes on. This is such a complex issue.

Ever wonder why Obama, who had 8 years in office, and had multiple minorities under his administration, never really got to the bottom of the issue?
    Last edited by OTown; 06-01-2020 at 10:44 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Collection of videos of allegedly police propogating violence compiled by some lawyer in the US. Some are pretty disturbing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0
    Last edited by msommers; 06-01-2020 at 10:59 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    *The First*

I think I resign from this thread. Due to some very unfortunate interactions with people from 'Murica in a recent business capacity, I've come to believe that fire is one of the only things that could potentially improve that part of the earth.
    If the smoke gets bad enough to pollute my air, maybe I'll look into it, again. Until then, I got 99 problems but a Yank ain't one.

Edit - "a Yank" in the general terms, fuck. Not specifically the death of George Floyd. Fuck any of you if you thought that's what I meant.
    I don't care about Americans setting parts of America on fire because of their reasons, is more what I'm saying. They are on my shit list.
    China, USA.... To be determined.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 06-01-2020 at 11:03 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    That's true, but I can see why they are targeted. If someone has to be the scapegoat, I can see police being top of the list as people can see direct physical harm resulting from their actions. But one can target judges, bosses, Uber drivers, etc. List goes on...

Agree on society-wide incompetence.
    I think most of these situations are no-win situation for police. If they go in heavy handed and stop unrest, they get blamed. If they don't do anything and the cities burn, they get blamed.

The way I see it the police are one of the only facets of government that are actually always present and dealing with the public. They are the easy scapegoat, clearly visible with a uniform in the communities - An easy target.

Unfortunately there are hundreds of cops that have been injured, some of them seriously - all of which had nothing to do with the murder of George Floyd.

From the videos I have seen, protesters ambushing cops and attacking them with signs, throwing Molotov cocktails and bricks at the police, trying to burn police vehicles and buildings with cops inside... those are basically lethal encounters against police.

I am shocked that no one has been killed, both on the protester side and the police side (although a federal security guard did die in Oakland). If anything this shows to me that the police for the broad part are actually quite restrained and controlled.

My Ride
    ute

There will be deaths

Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast