Quantcast
Black Lives Matter discussion - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter discussion

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    pics of the white and black dude? It's hard to picture what he looks like.
    Name:  2011-08-16-StarTrek3.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  34.2 KB

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sven-Eric Jordt, a researcher at Duke University who has studied the effects of tear gas agents, said he had been shocked to watch how much the authorities had turned to the control method in recent days.

“I’m really concerned that this might catalyze a new wave of Covid-19,”

...with protests led by groups such as Black Lives Matter. People of color have also been hit particularly hard by the coronavirus pandemic, with higher rates of hospitalizations and deaths than white people.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/u...i-RwUkkI7FBfc8

Tear gas, yelling, extremely close-contact among large groups, several without any mask of any kind...a second COVID wave arriving in the US earlier than the alluded Fall-estimate seems highly probable.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

Tear gas, yelling, extremely close-contact among large groups, several without any mask of any kind...a second COVID wave arriving in the US earlier than the alluded Fall-estimate seems highly probable.
    That will align perfectly with the mass fear/anger narrative thats being pushed hard in 2020. There will be more riots as people riot against - covid?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Surely you have a larger vocabulary and something more meaningful to say than pushing a 'narrative' or 'agenda' repeatedly.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Is it really a second wave, when the first isn't over yet?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Fair point. Canada and the US are at least on the decline it seems (for now). /derail

https://www.google.com/search?q=glob...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    pics of the white and black dude? It's hard to picture what he looks like.
    Name:  mj-photo-comparison-early-80s-2007-part-2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  48.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    If there is another interpretation of the numbers I’m not seeing, I’d love to hear it, because it looks like this is all a sham now.
    Police shooting statistics alone probably aren't the most accurate indicator of racism, particularly in the context of George Floyd, who wasn't shot by police. 'Uses of force' and 'violent altercations' are stats less than two years old the DOJ only just started tracking.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Surely you have a larger vocabulary and something more meaningful to say than pushing a 'narrative' or 'agenda' repeatedly.
    How does that help to point out the obvious? Make me sound more holier than thou?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN23A2MG

Walmart removes guns and ammo from shelves. Not for any altruistic goal other than they are enticing as objects of great looted value.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Police shooting statistics alone probably aren't the most accurate indicator of racism, particularly in the context of George Floyd, who wasn't shot by police. 'Uses of force' and 'violent altercations' are stats less than two years old the DOJ only just started tracking.
    They talk about total people killed by police as well. Shooting is by far the biggest reason (obviously) at 96%, so it's definitely an accurate representation of totals. I posted the stats from the anti police violence site, and it aligns with the WSJ numbers. I interpreted the numbers the same way prior to the WSJ article coming out.

For reference if you want to poke around: https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/nationaltrends

It's a Tableau report so you can really slice and dice the data to get a good understanding of raw trends.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    I saw those stats. Kind of mind blowing. Basically it should be blue lives matter and white lives matter before black lives matter according to who is getting killed by who the most. Or maybe all lives matter, except that’s racist. As far as I can see, blacks kill way more whites, way more blacks, and way more cops than vice versa. If there is another interpretation of the numbers I’m not seeing, I’d love to hear it, because it looks like this is all a sham now.
    If a private citizen kills a cop, the cops and courts will put in overtime to make sure they are caught, charged, and convicted to fullest extent. Which it should be. If a private citizen kills another private citizen, especially in such a blatantly obvious case as this, they will likely be arrested and convicted. Which they hopefully should be

If a cop kills a private citizen, they will likely only face a suspension, or be fired only to be rehired later. Black people have been saying this for decades, and before cellphones started giving hard evidence, black people were largely ignored. Rodney King left a stinging legacy that never healed right. And since cell phones started showing that there is truth to the stories black people were telling, they still have to go to twitter and protest before situations like this will go beyond a paid leave while investigating only to get off consequence free. Even in this case the cops tried their best to avoid arresting this guy despite it being the most blatant example in recent memory.

Why is it so hard to get cops to face consequences, despite the fact that they are fully, directly controlled by the government that could make changes at any time they want to? Maybe it's magic, maybe it's a deep state conspiracy, or maybe it's because no one gives a shit about cops killing black people because their lives don't matter. Hence, Black Lives Matter.

All Lives Matter could have been brought in to include the other races who get killed by cops and get no justice, but it was taken over by racist twats immediately as a way to completely discount the BLM concept, so that'd be a hard sell

Blue Lives Matter is utter shit, as all evidence shows that blue lives do matter, given the consequences for killing a cop are very steep

And for anyone that's going to say "well why don't they protest all the black on black crime?", it's because criminals don't give a shit about protesting, whereas at least theoretically the cops and government should.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    There are at least two explanations for the current attitudes:

2. People have a difficult time understanding the underlying injustices which create the inequalities which then translate to higher crime statistics. There is a reason black people commit more crime. Let's talk about that instead. Unfortunately, this is likely caused by a complex combination of factors, some of which might come dangerously close to "personal responsibility". Some of them are leftover nonsense from a more racist time. Some of them are public policies which are designed to help, but ultimately hinder by creating dependency or infantalizing those they are designed to help (think lefty nanny state).
    Yup black people sure hate to take responsibility, and sure are easily infantilized at rates much higher than white people by the offering of state assistance. Nothing racist about this at all. If only they could take your shining example of being the most hated, yet unaffected, of people. What a hero you are

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Fair point. Canada and the US are at least on the decline it seems (for now). /derail

https://www.google.com/search?q=glob...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Many US states are actually hitting new highs for covid cases. The main reason the US, overall, is declining is due to NY/NJ not exploding with cases anymore.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post

Yup black people sure hate to take responsibility, and sure are easily infantilized at rates much higher than white people by the offering of state assistance. Nothing racist about this at all.
    Either you want to look at causality and all of the ugly things it might reveal, or you do not. It's certainly easier to blame "the system" or whatever makes you feel good.

My Ride
    ute

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...745-9133.12269

We analyzed 990 police fatal shootings using data compiled by The Washington Post in 2015. After first providing a basic descriptive analysis of these shootings, we then examined the data for evidence of implicit bias by using multivariate regression models that predict two indicators of threat perception failure: (1) whether the civilian was not attacking the officer(s) or other civilians just before being fatally shot and (2) whether the civilian was unarmed when fatally shot. The results indicated civilians from “other” minority groups were significantly more likely than Whites to have not been attacking the officer(s) or other civilians and that Black civilians were more than twice as likely as White civilians to have been unarmed.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

Risk is highest for black men, who (at current levels of risk) face about a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over the life course. The average lifetime odds of being killed by police are about 1 in 2,000 for men and about 1 in 33,000 for women. Risk peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for all groups. For young men of color, police use of force is among the leading causes of death.
    Name:  BreakableDeliciousCapybara-size_restricted.gif
Views: 251
Size:  4.34 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    If a private citizen kills a cop, the cops and courts will put in overtime to make sure they are caught, charged, and convicted to fullest extent. Which it should be. If a private citizen kills another private citizen, especially in such a blatantly obvious case as this, they will likely be arrested and convicted. Which they hopefully should be

If a cop kills a private citizen, they will likely only face a suspension, or be fired only to be rehired later. Black people have been saying this for decades, and before cellphones started giving hard evidence, black people were largely ignored. Rodney King left a stinging legacy that never healed right. And since cell phones started showing that there is truth to the stories black people were telling, they still have to go to twitter and protest before situations like this will go beyond a paid leave while investigating only to get off consequence free. Even in this case the cops tried their best to avoid arresting this guy despite it being the most blatant example in recent memory.

Why is it so hard to get cops to face consequences, despite the fact that they are fully, directly controlled by the government that could make changes at any time they want to? Maybe it's magic, maybe it's a deep state conspiracy, or maybe it's because no one gives a shit about cops killing black people because their lives don't matter. Hence, Black Lives Matter.

All Lives Matter could have been brought in to include the other races who get killed by cops and get no justice, but it was taken over by racist twats immediately as a way to completely discount the BLM concept, so that'd be a hard sell

Blue Lives Matter is utter shit, as all evidence shows that blue lives do matter, given the consequences for killing a cop are very steep

And for anyone that's going to say "well why don't they protest all the black on black crime?", it's because criminals don't give a shit about protesting, whereas at least theoretically the cops and government should.

Yup black people sure hate to take responsibility, and sure are easily infantilized at rates much higher than white people by the offering of state assistance. Nothing racist about this at all. If only they could take your shining example of being the most hated, yet unaffected, of people. What a hero you are
    Good point. I think the root of the issue is that cops don't face the same penalties as a regular civilian if they did the same crime. That is the basis of the riots.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    Good point. I think the root of the issue is that cops don't face the same penalties as a regular civilian if they did the same crime. That is the basis of the riots.
    This is absolutely true. And I think that things will be changing on this front as qualified immunity will be revoked by the SC in the US. This will place the liability onto local police forces as the indemnify cops against lawsuits. Once this happens, police forces will get rid of the bad apples much quicker - they won't want to keep writing cheques for the same douchebag cops.

The other thing that should change is the power of police unions to defend cops against being fired for misconduct. Want to watch a progressive's head explode? Explain to them that one of the reasons for police brutality is public service unions.

In either case, lack of punishment police brutality doesn't indicate "systemic racism" - unless there is evidence that cops get off easier after killing a black person. That might be true, I'm just not aware of any evidence. I'd like to see some data on this topic actually. As I understand it, the data kept on the race of police involved in civilian homicides is not very good, as compared to the race of the person killed.

My Ride
    Model S

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Geez, I would of been tempted to drop that dude. Don’t care about skin colour
    Be careful about vids like these. This seems staged to cause outrage. There has been a lot of that, and it’s mostly working on people.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    How about sentencing? Blacks seem to get much stiffer sentences than Whites for the same crime. Do the stats back that up?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    How about sentencing? Blacks seem to get much stiffer sentences than Whites for the same crime. Do the stats back that up?
    Watched 13th on Netflix yesterday... makes sense... the south had to replace the slave population with cheap/free labour after the civil war as their entire economic model was built on it. Then later years politicians needed more southern votes so “tough on crime” became the platforms that won, filling jails with more cheap labour

Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast