Quantcast
Black Lives Matter discussion - Page 25 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter discussion

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which one of your many lady friends single? Gimme their insta and I’ll send some DMs seeing your aren’t doing anything with them
    Can I watch? Asking for SKR.

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    I am a little confused on the protests. Besides looting and showing anger towards police, what is the target outcome for these protests? Death sentence to the officer?

I understand the anger and need for justice. But I am not seeing a clear purpose/goal.
    The waters get muddied when you have two separate situations going on. You have people genuinely concerned about racism/police brutality. Then you have paid rioters being sent in to stir up shit, and their only real purpose/goal is to help create a situation that makes re-election tougher for Trump. And a lot of the actual protesters are falling to peer pressure and joining the rioters.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I was interested in tracking how bad police killings in the US has gotten, as I suspected we're probably seeing more amplification to the forefront because of social media vs actually being more. Was pretty surprised that I was mostly correct. Remember, this is all police killings, regardless if it's in the right or wrong. There is no data to track unwarranted police killings.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/nationaltrends

National average is flat over the last 7 years, while black people being killed by police were actually on a downtrend. Was also curious about the alarming front page stat of 3x more likely for a black person to be killed than a white person so I tried to dig into the # of interactions with police, but none of those stats breaks down by race. The closest I could find were crime rates and incarceration rates, which was a shocking 5x more by black people per capita than white people. So in theory, there are less black people killed per crime than white people.

Not defending the police here, police violence is definitely a problem in the US, but I don't think black people are being singled out more so than white people, except on social media.
    Careful, you'll upset the masses if you start bringing facts into this.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    When kids grow up in poor crime ridden communities surrounded by shitty role models they fall into crime. Having no father has nothing to do with it. Lol
    Statistically speaking it has a lot to do with it. Whether that's an anecdote or not could be further explored.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    The protests, I believe, are a general protest against police using excessive force / brutality. More so an issue in the US than in Canada so it's mostly solidarity protests here.
    Oh it's definitely a problem here too. But they have a thousand percent more population, so you see a lot more cases from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by austic View Post
    Then you are in the actual majority that gets forced to choose. if only there was more ceterist parties. Lets not be a dick to anyone and let them live their lives but lets try to all have jobs and work... aka the socially liberal but fiscally conservative bunch that seems to never make ground.
    Hmmm, if only there was a party that represented these ideologies................................ I've said it before, I think Libertarians are their own worst enemy by sucking so hard at marketing

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    your general description does not rate anywhere on the hate radar of any Police force.
    That is highly debatable to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Finally someone that gets it.

We have to look at the big picture. Socioeconomics, education levels, lack of public funding, historical or cultural perspective, poverty, medical issues, drug use, parental issues, victimization to crime, negative view of police. The list goes on. This is such a complex issue.

Ever wonder why Obama, who had 8 years in office, and had multiple minorities under his administration, never really got to the bottom of the issue?
    Finally? I said this back on page 2 I think it was. lol

My Ride
    ute

Looks like it might be another busy night for the looters....er...."undocumented shoppers".

My Ride
    Silverado

George Floyd died of Corona virus

Globalnews.ca: George Floyd tested positive for coronavirus, full autopsy report reveals.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7024541/g...opsy-covid-19/

My Ride
    NC1

Now does the riots fall on Trump or the Governors? My understanding was each state has its own way of handling things?

If things get worse, at what point can Trump override and go Marshall Law?

Is this somehow gonna play in his favour?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post

Globalnews.ca: George Floyd tested positive for coronavirus, full autopsy report reveals.
    Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get more weird.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    People are protesting for the killing of George Floyd yes.... but aren't they also screaming out to stop the ongoing and constant racial profiling and racial harassment from cops?

Wheres the study showing that cops harass middle aged, upper class, white men more then black men? Wheres the study that shows white men getting cuffed for allegedly using a counterfeit $20 bill?
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/mi...lls/index.html

Well it was for more than just a 20$ bill. Check out the 911 calls yourself. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-...apolis-police/ Stop listening to the narrative without critical thinking

"Caller: Um someone comes our store and give us fake bills and we realize it before he left the store, and we ran back outside, they was sitting on their car. We tell them to give us their phone, put their (inaudible) thing back and everything and he was also drunk and everything and return to give us our cigarettes back and so he can, so he can go home but he doesn't want to do that, and he's sitting on his car cause he is awfully drunk and he's not in control of himself."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    Would you mind sharing the article in it's entirety? Paywall prohibits my access unfortunately.
    http://archive.is/OXbjA

Just a quick quote from it...
    In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population.

The police fatally shot nine unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database, down from 38 and 32, respectively, in 2015. The Post defines “unarmed” broadly to include such cases as a suspect in Newark, N.J., who had a loaded handgun in his car during a police chase. In 2018 there were 7,407 black homicide victims. Assuming a comparable number of victims last year, those nine unarmed black victims of police shootings represent 0.1% of all African-Americans killed in 2019. By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer.

On Memorial Day weekend in Chicago alone, 10 African-Americans were killed in drive-by shootings. Such routine violence has continued—a 72-year-old Chicago man shot in the face on May 29 by a gunman who fired about a dozen shots into a residence; two 19-year-old women on the South Side shot to death as they sat in a parked car a few hours earlier; a 16-year-old boy fatally stabbed with his own knife that same day. This past weekend, 80 Chicagoans were shot in drive-by shootings, 21 fatally, the victims overwhelmingly black. Police shootings are not the reason that blacks die of homicide at eight times the rate of whites and Hispanics combined; criminal violence is.
    Last edited by OTown; 06-04-2020 at 02:44 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Now does the riots fall on Trump or the Governors? My understanding was each state has its own way of handling things?

If things get worse, at what point can Trump override and go Marshall Law?

Is this somehow gonna play in his favour?
    It's up to the governors to ask the National guard to step in (which is why Trump called them weak, for not asking as soon as the protests/riots started).

Trump can invoke the insurrection act, but he would face a LOT of backlash for that. If it weren't an election year, he probably would have already. The US military can't step in until the act is invoked.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post

That article does not say he died from coronavirus.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    That article does not say he died from coronavirus.
    I think it's an obvious comment related to the alleged skewing of statistics. The perception is that if 100 people with CoVid were on a boat that was struck by a nuke, the news would report 100 new CoVid fatalities.

Shoulda guessed it was a Corona Covid-19 fatality, and not standing on a mans neck.

Its not a bullet that kills, Its the alcohol filled finger of the drunk that pulled the trigger. Damn irresponsible trigger finger.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-04-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Maybe his "I can't breath" is just the ronas attacking his respiratory system and the knee to his neck is just pure coincidence?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cop is sooooo getting acquitted, Heart Condition, Drunk, and Coronavirus as mitigating factors? They should have gone for the manslaughter charge instead of second degree.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Cop is sooooo getting acquitted, Heart Condition, Drunk, and Coronavirus as mitigating factors? They should have gone for the manslaughter charge instead of second degree.
    I'm kinda thinking this will happen.

Look at how pissed off people are now, just wait until an acquittal.................

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone get caught in the protest traffic yesterday? They rushed downtown hard.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My hypothesis:

I really don't think they'd risk more tenious rioting than now, a second time, by aquitting the officer. Derek Chauvin will get slammed for being the piece of shit he is, the other officers will get wrist-slapped and the problem "will be solved" because they have something to point to.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    He also ignored the rookie asking him twice to maneuver him into a different position though.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    My hypothesis:

I really don't think they'd risk more tenious rioting than now, a second time, by aquitting the officer. Derek Chauvin will get slammed for being the piece of shit he is, the other officers will get wrist-slapped and the problem "will be solved" because they have something to point to.
    That’s kindof not the point of an independent judiciary, you don’t convict people or not acquit people based on the expected backlash from the decision.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Oh I know and agree with you. But there are many examples of what's "supposed" to happen and what actually does.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

don't you know that you can influence judicial decision for the greater good of your people, like your people's jobs. it's totally fine. it's the woke thing to do.

Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast