Quantcast
FTTH back to cable, would you? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: FTTH back to cable, would you?

Default FTTH back to cable, would you?

For those that did have cable internet and now are on TELUS' FTTH, would you go back to a cable internet service if you didn't continue to get new customer or retention savings at TELUS?

I know our TELUS FTTH has been rock steady over the few years we've had it (both UL and DL speeds, ping times and down time) but I certainly haven't read the same about cable internet services what with speed slowdowns being a regular occurrence for a lot of cable internet subscribers. I like that I can get home and the internet just works, the possibility of it not working or being slow just doesn't happen and for whomever games in our home there's never been any complaints with respect to latency either.

So would you switch back to a cable internet service is you lost your FTTH discounts?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If it was 70 bucks for Shaw and 120+ for Telus I would just go back to Shaw yes, FTTH is mostly bench racing for me. Cool to think about but makes no actual difference in my day to day.

I wouldn’t pay double for it.

That said, I doubt this problem ever comes up.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

We sold our house last week. I'm likely going to have to go back to Shaw... Totally different reason, but I am not looking forward to the paltry upload. I would pay more to have FTTH as it has been rock solid since 2012. Started with 75, then 100. 150 then 300 to 750. Mostly for the same price.

I'm going to be mister pixel on Teams calls.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'm pretty happy with my cable, I think there's been like two mornings it seemed sluggish and I rebooted my modern and my router and it was fine. Could just be my router too.

49.95$ for 300/20 is plenty fast. I don't torrent so the upload makes no difference to me.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Went from a house that had FTTH to a new build that didn't have fiber preinstalled in the entire area due to some conflict between the developer and Telus according to the sales staff.
    If you don't need the upload, I would do it for $30/month savings for sure. For all other cases, I wouldn't even consider going back to cable. +1 to others that have said FTTH has been absolutely rock solid, never had to deal with the reboot modem BS that seems to plague Shaw continuously. Even during WFH(remote into computer) I've noticed a difference, there's definitely some input lag when I'm on Shaw compared to when I was with Telus Fiber.

Also bad time to go back to Shaw, their new plans are absolutely dogshit compared to Telus.

I miss FTTH.

Edit: Worst case is you cancel and reopen another account in your wife's name to get new customer promos. They're very reluctant to say they will, but in my case they were able to transfer all the equipment from my closed account to my dad's new customer one after telling me earlier in the month that they wouldn't.
    Last edited by cyra1ax; 05-28-2020 at 07:57 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    For those that did have cable internet and now are on TELUS' FTTH, would you go back to a cable internet service if you didn't continue to get new customer or retention savings at TELUS?

I know our TELUS FTTH has been rock steady over the few years we've had it (both UL and DL speeds, ping times and down time) but I certainly haven't read the same about cable internet services what with speed slowdowns being a regular occurrence for a lot of cable internet subscribers. I like that I can get home and the internet just works, the possibility of it not working or being slow just doesn't happen and for whomever games in our home there's never been any complaints with respect to latency either.

So would you switch back to a cable internet service is you lost your FTTH discounts?
    Shaw isn't bad if you're in the right area. There are people like me that's had zero issues with Shaw. Funny enough, a lot of my co-workers have had problems with Telus right now because Telus has a poor inconsistent routing issues with Terago so it's affecting our VPN performance. Not something that would be noticed by anyone unless connecting to Terago services. For sure though, I've heard of zero people having any capacity issues with FTTH, while Shaw you're playing the community lottery.

Like killramos says, it's all bench racing. I have 600 download and can count on 1 hand how often I've used it. Still want gigabit for the speed test. I tried to get Shaw gigabit for a bit cheaper yesterday and no dice. Meanwhile, FTTH gigabit is $85. That's a fucking no brainer at this point.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Shaw isn't bad if you're in the right area. There are people like me that's had zero issues with Shaw.
    You've had 2 outages in the past month.
    ---

I have both, Shaw was fine for years but started getting shitty this year, speed is always fine, but get brief outages from time to time that pissed me off so put Telus in as a failover. I'd be hard pressed to willingly go back to only Shaw, Telus has been rock solid and latency is far more predictable. Shaw has the advantage of long lived IP leases though, for a few systems I need to access that are whitelisted I force them to be routed through Shaw only so I'm not updating IP whitelists all the time.

I think I would pay up to $150-200/mo for Fiber, beyond that I would probably go back to Shaw. I don't have any TV/Home Phone services and I regularly use 100% of the bandwidth so it's a pretty significant upgrade for my usage. I had zero issues with Shaw until I moved, then I had crappy speeds and 1-2 outages a week, so actually getting what I'm paying for is a consideration too.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Switched from Telus Fibre to Shaw last year and saved $70/month. Haven't really noticed a difference between the two, but I'm not a huge user. Stream some movies a few times a week, but mostly just have network TV on in the background. Hopefully that consistancy keeps up when I move next week.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    You've had 2 outages in the past month.
    Yea, fucking Unifi. That's not Shaw.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Rage said it best. Shaw is fine if you are the the right area. I was in Royal oak for the last 10 years and I've never had a problem with it. I also like the option of having Shaw open around the city for wifi.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Yea, fucking Unifi. That's not Shaw.
    Oh, I thought your Unifi outage was caused initially by Shaw going down. My bad.
    ---

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Oh, I thought your Unifi outage was caused initially by Shaw going down. My bad.
    Yea, scheduled maintenance that's publicly posted in the middle of the night that wouldn't affect me whatsoever if it wasn't for Unifi being a bitch.

Do you consider your car broken when you bring it in for maintenance?

Yea, scheduled maintenance that's publicly posted in the middle of the night that wouldn't affect me whatsoever if it wasn't for Unifi being a bitch.

Do you consider your car broken when you bring it in for maintenance?
    If I have to bring it in twice in a month, yes.
    ---

My Ride
    ute

ooooh ooooh, Kenny Vs. rage2.

Round 1.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I've had no issues on Shaw 600, aside from a single daytime outage a few weeks back post-windstorm. I consistently get full speed.
    I have a friend that's barely been able to get >10mbps on a Telus 75 connection.

That being said, I would jump ship to telus for the upload, and cheaper price, if they offered FTTH here.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I'm going to be mister pixel on Teams calls.
    No pixels here on Shaw. And I only have the poverty 15mbps upload.

Name:  65289447-FE30-41F4-9B02-7F2E3B897C2F.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  46.3 KB

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I've been on Shaw since '98 maybe. Rarely an issue here in the dirty south.
    My modem is bridged, and I have good quality router, and wifi stuff, and only reboot it if there's an update.

Yeah I'd like better upload, especially after work from home the last 2 months.
    Telus is running fibre in my hood right now, but not really considering it. Mainly as I doubt I'll switch, and I double they can get fibre into my house.
    Services come in to the south side of the house, but utility room is on the north. All cabling was run before finishing the basement, but no conduit. So it would be a nightmare.

I'm managing VPN/Citrix for about 80 people working from home, and surprisingly only a few have had issues. Both on Shaw in the North part of town. Oh one on Telus in Cochrane has some issues.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Been on fiber for last 8 years or so, and would continue to pay even full price if I had to, and did for a while. I am happy with the whole Optik TV service as well so for me I would pay for everything at full price. I had lots of issues with Shaw in my house when we moved here first (think about 11 years ago now) and was first on DSL and then Fiber when it became available. I don't remember a single outage the whole time I have been here.....aside from that one time...when Telus tech disconnected my fiber accidentally...while I was trekking in the Himalaya mountains in Nepal...with wife home without internet.....that shit almost caused a divorce haha. Luckily Telus realized and reconnected, but my AP was dead for some reason, so I paid $15 for 40 min of dial up internet in the Himalayas village to RDP into my server...and enable wifi on the Telus router, bypassing all my own equipment (have own DNS and DHCP etc). That backup network lives to this day in case some of my gear takes a dive . You haven't experienced frustration until you RDP over a 14k modem and try to do anything. Moving a mouse or clicking a check box takes about 1 minute to refresh you single action. Took me 40 minutes to do what would normally take 1 min at most, but was worth it, still married

Apparently Telus tech told my wife "It was not your husbands fault".....so I think they earned my money, single handily saved my marriage.