Quantcast
Walk-out deck lighting/decor ideas. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Walk-out deck lighting/decor ideas.

My Ride
    changes every year

Default Walk-out deck lighting/decor ideas.

I got nothing lol I have a rug, loveseat and 2 chairs. My deck is 25×9 so I have maybe 10 feet covered lol im looking at lights (its a covered deck with only one light) and anything else to spruce the thing up and fill the space, also looking for decent bluetooth speakers.

All experiences and ideas would be appreciated
    Last edited by 03ozwhip; 05-28-2020 at 05:47 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've played around with deck lighting last few years, will probably play around more this year. It's a fucking pain in the ass to get any good lighting because you have to bounce the light off a surface, so for an open deck your options are limited.

So far I've got an outside railing fitted with LED light strip that bounces the light off the fence. I've got a couple of solar lights on top of the railing but they aren't bright enough to do anything meaningful. I have a few lights pointed at the ground, they work fairly well. Still, it's overall way to dim IMO. Need a ceiling structure of some sort with lighting to truly solve the problem. I'm looking at building a wind guard in an open area with an open roof where I can install lighting, but need to research more on aerodynamics so I don't make the wind problem worse with an open roof.

Here’s what it looks like as of 2 years ago. It’s brighter than it looks.

Name:  3D6E7532-B25F-4312-9FA8-20FF21BEECF9.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  75.1 KB

I get some pretty wicked winds straight towards the BBQ so windy days is a pain to relax or cook. I installed an outdoor plug underneath the deck hooked up to an automation switch, so I'm ready to light this shit up and not rely on solar shit haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh and bluetooth speakers, you can't beat a block rocker. Shit's loud enough to hear down the block for our block parties. Something smaller, I use an Ultimate Ears mid sized one. They're water proof too.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Name:  20180617_230039_resized.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  80.9 KB
    We had a couple of those setup and they are super nice. Nice soft glow. They also survived 2 winters no problem. Got them connected to an outdoor smart plug so it's all controlled by google home.

Our neighbour came over to tell us how nice it looked and then got a set themselves right away. Our new neighbour on the other side also commented on them within the first week of moving in last month, and now she has a set too. Also it looks like the house on the other side of the backalley has them too but I'm not sure if that's influenced by us.

+1 Ultimate Ears

RX_EVOLV
    Name:  Adam-Coish-The-Couch-Series-Le-Onz-commercial.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  57.3 KB
    Last edited by phreezee; 05-29-2020 at 08:32 AM.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Oh and bluetooth speakers, you can't beat a block rocker. Shit's loud enough to hear down the block for our block parties. Something smaller, I use an Ultimate Ears mid sized one. They're water proof too.
    I've never heard of these. The thing I was thinking was that I could have a speaker out there, that stays out there.

Either one if them faux rocks or a hanging "lantern" thing, you know, looks like part of landscaping.

- - - Updated - - -

I've played around with deck lighting last few years, will probably play around more this year. It's a fucking pain in the ass to get any good lighting because you have to bounce the light off a surface, so for an open deck your options are limited.

So far I've got an outside railing fitted with LED light strip that bounces the light off the fence. I've got a couple of solar lights on top of the railing but they aren't bright enough to do anything meaningful. I have a few lights pointed at the ground, they work fairly well. Still, it's overall way to dim IMO. Need a ceiling structure of some sort with lighting to truly solve the problem. I'm looking at building a wind guard in an open area with an open roof where I can install lighting, but need to research more on aerodynamics so I don't make the wind problem worse with an open roof.

Here’s what it looks like as of 2 years ago. It’s brighter than it looks.

Name:  3D6E7532-B25F-4312-9FA8-20FF21BEECF9.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  75.1 KB

I get some pretty wicked winds straight towards the BBQ so windy days is a pain to relax or cook. I installed an outdoor plug underneath the deck hooked up to an automation switch, so I'm ready to light this shit up and not rely on solar shit haha.
    ya man, solar is never that bright, so maybe you're right in finding something else that plugs in.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    We had a couple of those setup and they are super nice. Nice soft glow. They also survived 2 winters no problem. Got them connected to an outdoor smart plug so it's all controlled by google home.

Our neighbour came over to tell us how nice it looked and then got a set themselves right away. Our new neighbour on the other side also commented on them within the first week of moving in last month, and now she has a set too. Also it looks like the house on the other side of the backalley has them too but I'm not sure if that's influenced by us.
    I have these as well. In some situations they were a little too bright so i installed an inline plug in dimmer and you can adjust them as needed.

What kind of hardware did you use to anchor them? Looking to do that over my deck next week, was think of using screw hooks. Did you reinforce the stringlights with a stronger wire/cable?

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    What kind of hardware did you use to anchor them? Looking to do that over my deck next week, was think of using screw hooks. Did you reinforce the stringlights with a stronger wire/cable?
    I just looped /hooked them onto the trees. No anchor / reinforcement.

The strings are also very heavy duty too, much stiffer than you would probably expect. Go check them out at Costco while they are still in season.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 05-29-2020 at 12:14 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I've never heard of these. The thing I was thinking was that I could have a speaker out there, that stays out there.

Either one if them faux rocks or a hanging "lantern" thing, you know, looks like part of landscaping.
    Block Rocker is like a travel suitcase, with a huge battery in it that seems to last forever. Has USB ports to charge phones too. I charge it 2 or 3x a year. You just roll it around like a suitcase.

Ultimate Ears is a portable speaker that's shaped like an energy drink. 360 degree speaker and surprisingly loud for the deck.

I mean I'd like to get permanent speakers but really never had a need. I move both those around the yard, front, garage, sidewalk depending on where I am and audience.

String lights like this works so well, but my OCD won't allow me to do it.

Went out and bought a ton of solar lights from CAn tire for the back yard and for the most part im taking them all back. I bought a bunch of the path lights and spot lights but the light output is not strong enough for us. Didnt want to go wired but for what we want i think theres no choice.

My buddy has the block rocker and it literally is a carry on but it hits hard. This would be awesome for an outdoor thing but you're neighbors would hate you lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Name:  4D8C328D-59E5-4700-AD01-0E7A3BF10254.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  58.5 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Beats my sick Bluetooth speaker.
    Name:  IMG_20200529_175849653_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  69.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Beats my sick Bluetooth speaker.
    Name:  IMG_20200529_175849653_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  69.0 KB
    You have been here long enough to know we have no idea how big that is without a banana for scale....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

True. I'm the kind of guy who might have an abnormally large beer bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    True. I'm the kind of guy who might have an abnormally large beer bottle.
    Rumour has it that there are other things about you that are abnormally large as well. It's not a coincidence that you're known as the human tripod in certain Airdrie groups.

My Ride
    changes every year

Name:  4D8C328D-59E5-4700-AD01-0E7A3BF10254.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  58.5 KB
    Lol ya thats huge. I have my music setup by the window and its just way too loud, thats why I'm looking for something smaller and easy to deal with.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Lol ya thats huge. I have my music setup by the window and its just way too loud, thats why I'm looking for something smaller and easy to deal with.
    That’s why there’s an ultimate ears above it.