Quantcast
How to Deal with a Car Manufacturer for defects? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Deal with a Car Manufacturer for defects?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are they painting the entire car for only $4K? A proper job should cost around double that if I am not mistaken.

What body shop is doing it? Can you get them to use Screamin' or somewhere you know is good? Last thing you want is a similar quality paint job that is going to chip just as easily.
    Might be quoting their cost, not consumer.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I would guess thats only paint on the affected areas - for eg. frontal area.

It’s nice that the paint is being covered under warranty, but having a repainted car is still not ideal. There is likely going to be some hit on resale with a repainted car. If I was looking at buying a used car, I would definitely choose a car with factory paint over a repainted car. I wonder if the repaint would show up on a CarFax?

My Ride

We dont use Car Fax in Canada, and warranty paint jobs wont show up.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

You won't be getting the quality of a repaint you would expect if you were taking a car in and paying out of pocket, not at that price.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I thought CarFax and carproof are the same company now?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I would suggest the OP sell the car after ther repaint. A cheaply done repaint will likely age as poorly as the Subaru factory paint. While this level of chipping is extreme for a Subaru their paint in general has been horrendous for some time and any prospective Subaru buyer should consider PPF. Good to see that some people are at least getting new paint on Subaru's dime as Canadians typically get treated like shit by automakers compared to Americans when it comes to rectifying defects.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by richardchan2002 View Post
    They are.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by richardchan2002 View Post
    Yes, thats a recent development I was not aware of. People in Canada were incorrectly requesting Carfaxes previously when Carproof offered much more.

"Buying or selling a used car? Get the Full Vehicle History Report from CARFAX Canada (formerly CARPROOF)"

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Carproof is Carfax Canada now.

Nevermind I’m too slow.

My Ride
    bus

4K is definitely low for a whole car repaint. If they are only painting the front, I hope they can paint match that perfectly but I doubt it with that paint color.

+2 on selling it after the paint work, dump that lemon.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

If he's planning on getting PPF after the repaint, what's the disadvantage in keeping it?

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    If he's planning on getting PPF after the repaint, what's the disadvantage in keeping it?
    Much worse resale value, especially if the paint job is bad (which it probably will be for $4K but the shop isn't mentioned). Most people wouldn't touch a car with a mediocre repaint, or only for a dramatic discount. That's a recipe for issues down the road. Same deal with major hail damage repairs, major accident repairs, etc. The car will never be the same again and most buyers don't want that, unless the discount is large enough to offset it.

If that car gets fully repainted with anything less than an incredible job, I'd get rid of it if it were me personally. Another +1 for leasing haha - things like this become the manufacturer's problem.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-08-2020 at 02:21 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

So the shop will be Lou's Autobody in Kensington, it's the shop used by this dealer. I do completely understand the whole repaint and lowering the value and never being the same, so my plan is to look at it after they are done to see how good of a job they did. According to the manager at the dealer, the paint repair will be "as good or better than factory"...we will see about that. Manager also said it won't impact the cars value for trade in, as it's an authorized Subaru repair. I asked him ahead of time to see if I should bother getting it fixed first and than trade it in, or just trade it in now. I can get into a new forester sport for 13k all in, but I do love the car and much rather stick with it, but it all depends on how it comes out after the fact. If I see so much as an improper masking line I will get rid of it. I don't know what the dealer pays vs an average joe, so don't know, but 4k does seem very low. Apparently the shop asked if they should just repaint the hood and the manager at Subaru said "no, all affected areas"...but they never looked at the car in that much detail...so not sure what they will actually be repainting. According to the manager he asked them to quote a whole car repaint...at this point I really don't know and will have to see how it comes out. They are offering me 24k for trade in as is...if it's any less after the repaint and I am not happy and want to trade it in, shit will go down.

I was all set to trade her in last week...but 2021 are just around the corner so I want to see if there are any worthy benefits to a 2021 vs a 2020 and go with that. 2020 is a cursed year so far.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    If I see so much as an improper masking line I will get rid of it.

Well if they do it properly (which they wont for $4k) there should be zero masking lines anywhere. All glass, moldings, trims, lights, bumpers, etc all need to be removed. If they start masking shit like that off you'll be able to tell immediately.

However some (maybe even most) people wont care or wont look close enough. If its not a good job trade that shit in and be done with it.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Well if they do it properly (which they wont for $4k) there should be zero masking lines anywhere. All glass, moldings, trims, lights, bumpers, etc all need to be removed. If they start masking shit like that off you'll be able to tell immediately.

However some (maybe even most) people wont care or wont look close enough. If its not a good job trade that shit in and be done with it.
    Yah, I figured as much, but the price quoted didn't seem to cover that level of disassembly, but really hope I am wrong. I think when I get a call to come in to drop the car off I will inquire more into what exactly they plan on repainting, perhaps give me some info off the quote as I have has body shop work done before, and they charge for you everything to the last piece of tape, so it must have a breakdown of what panels they plan on painting and to which level of disassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post

Yup. Even with a proper job, the fact that they have the remove/reinstall all those trim pieces, glass, etc. also means it will probably never be the same again in terms of creaks, rattles, fit & finish, etc. Those crappy plastic clips that hold every piece of trim on break all the time too.

I think the OP has a good approach - see how it is, and if it isn't a perfect job with zero noticeable after-effects, trade it in. Hopefully they are willing to show him the work order from the body shop - it's his car after all.

Lou's actually has pretty good reviews, but there is no way they are doing a full disassembly repaint for only $4K, and since the dealer isn't doing it themselves it's hard to imagine they're getting the work at cost.

My Ride

Got an appointment for next Tuesday with the body shop. Had a quick email conversation with the manager about the cost. He said that the quote given is the preliminary estimate and the actual cost could be higher as stated on the estimate. I didn't bother probing further, will just wait and see the results.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post

I was all set to trade her in last week...but 2021 are just around the corner so I want to see if there are any worthy benefits to a 2021 vs a 2020 and go with that. 2020 is a cursed year so far.
    2021 Crosstrek has the option for the larger engine from the Legacy/Outback/Forester.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    2021 Crosstrek has the option for the larger engine from the Legacy/Outback/Forester.
    Yah that might also be an option, I am well aware of the bigger engine, but some sites had reference to Forester STI for 2021...probably bullshit...but if true..i am in!

Dropped the car off at the dealer today in the morning, and after work dropped by the body shop to see if I could see my car from a distance, to my surprise it was in the first bay right by the shop, so I hung around pretending I was waiting for a ride and snapped some pics. Everything is coming off this thing, so they are doing it proper looks like. I noticed they put markings on panels that say "Paint" on the hood, fender, roofline area, not on doors thought, door has "R+I" on it...whatever that means...the front doors are much worse than the back, so they should be doing those as well, maybe just didn't get around to it yet. They even removed the plastic running boards, so they must be repainting all that area as well. Surprised they removed the rear bumper too...perhaps they will paint the whole thing. God I hope they put it back together proper, I am so anal about these things that anything off will drive me nuts and I would lose thousands of dollars on a trade in just to get out of the situation. I will spend a good amount of time looking over the car when I get it back, over every panel and every clip haha. Didn't get a good angle view of the other side without being weird about it, so just saw the one side so far.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast