Quantcast
How to Deal with a Car Manufacturer for defects? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How to Deal with a Car Manufacturer for defects?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

R&I stands for Remove and Inspect AFAIK.
    Also, maybe its cause the coffee hasn't kicked in yet but that lift seems sketchy to me for some reason.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    R&I stands for Remove and Inspect AFAIK.
    Also, maybe its cause the coffee hasn't kicked in yet but that lift seems sketchy to me for some reason.
    Here is the full picture of the lift....yes indeed it looks kind of weak now that you mention it haha

My Ride
    bus

How did the paint job turn out?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    How did the paint job turn out?
    I will update as soon as I get the car back...so far I am rather annoyed. I dropped by a few times to take a look and the car is no-where near being finished. Originally they said 3-4 days, it's 6th business day today and this is what it looked like yesterday afternoon, sitting outside wide open. For some reason they removed the rear glass section and disassembled the whole rear door, just the one door....all the interior headliner and pillar covers are gone, sunroof removed, all rear seats are out. At this point it looks more like a tier down for parts instead of a repaint. I don't really understand why they have to tier it down that bad. One side has a bunch of markings about "repaint" "blend", but the other side has nothing at all...and it's the worse side...so don't really know wtf is going on at this point. I stopped by the Subaru dealership and talked to the manager and he said they were supposed to get the car back mid-week this week...there is no way that's going to happen since it's mid-week now and car is just sitting there in the sun. At this point, I am regretting getting involved in this all together. It's not fair to get your "new" car ripped apart and put back together because of shitty paint, Subaru should have just taken the car back and given me a credit towards a new vehicle or something. I feel like I will be stuck with a subpar rattling lemon. I understand that it takes time to do a good job, and I am not trying to rush them, but I have seen the car last Thursday through the garage windows and from the outside...it looks exact same as it did last Thursday, so feels like nothing was done. The manager said that last week he was told the car is stripped and ready for paint and would be a few more days....stripped for parts but not of paint...and isn't ready for paint at all.
    Last edited by eblend; 07-31-2020 at 09:11 PM.

They left it outside like that? You can bet they aren't doing a full decontamination every time it goes in/out of the shop. Looks like it got rained on too. That's brutal, sorry dude.

My Ride
    bus

That sucks, why on earth do the need to remove the headliner and sunroof? If the had to repaint the roof, the could have just opened it and masked off the opening. That car will never be rattle free again, I hope they will honor your trade-in value but why would you stick with Subaru after this experience.

After you get it back, push them for a interior detail job and drive it straight to shadow tint for some PPF if you still intend to keep it.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    They left it outside like that? You can bet they aren't doing a full decontamination every time it goes in/out of the shop. Looks like it got rained on too. That's brutal, sorry dude.
    I don't think it got rained on, it was already a bit dirty by the time I dropped it off. It was left outside at the front of the shop during the day. I had to go and pickup wife at night and dropped by again and it was moved indoors again. I was worried it would sit there wide open all night, but at least it doesn't. Going to drop by again today and see if they made any progress after I had my chat with the manager, not holding my breath.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Well that's how they build at Tesla.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    That sucks, why on earth do the need to remove the headliner and sunroof? If the had to repaint the roof, the could have just opened it and masked off the opening. That car will never be rattle free again, I hope they will honor your trade-in value but why would you stick with Subaru after this experience.

After you get it back, push them for a interior detail job and drive it straight to shadow tint for some PPF if you still intend to keep it.
    Yah, I'm super anal about rattles, it's part of the reason I haven't done any mods to any of my cars since my teen Fast and Furious days, always kept it stock. I will look it all up and down to make sure not a single screw cover is missing and will take her on a long trip to test everything. Not sure what to do with it, will have to wait and see when it comes back in what shape it will be. I was thinking the same thing..open the roof and mask it, why take it apart so much...don't really know wtf is going on. Single door taken apart...that door is the least troublesome place...rest ontouched....rear seats removed...why??? I hope they have their reasons and do a very good job, but have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    I don't think it got rained on, it was already a bit dirty by the time I dropped it off. It was left outside at the front of the shop during the day. I had to go and pickup wife at night and dropped by again and it was moved indoors again. I was worried it would sit there wide open all night, but at least it doesn't. Going to drop by again today and see if they made any progress after I had my chat with the manager, not holding my breath.
    Oh ok, at least it didn't get rained on with no window.

Still though, that car needs a full decontamination if it goes outside if they are painting it, and I'm going to guess they aren't doing that due to the massive hassle that is, especially to do it properly.

I'd just trade it in as soon as you get it back. It's all but guaranteed to have rattles too with how much they took apart, and I doubt they will even tell you if they break any interior clips. I'm super anal too, and knowing that car will never be the same would bother me every day.

I guess if you buy another Subaru, get a full wrap haha. Or just lease and never worry about anything again, if that is an option for you.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-22-2020 at 10:29 AM.

My Ride

Have to work late tonight so dropped by to see if any progress has been made and the car is inside the garage bay with some dude working on the front end, kind of far out of sight so can't really tell what exactly is going on, but at least something is happening.

My Ride

So...finally got an update.....and it's not good.

Got the call that my car is ready and I can come pick it up. Got all excited and drove down to pick it up....only to find the hood and the two front fenders were painted, rest of the car, all the damage on the doors....exactly as it was.

So my question is.....WHY THE FUCK WAS MY CAR STRIPPED INSIDE AND OUT! Nothing was done other than the front end! This is fucking unbelievable now. I don't know what to do, I am seriously at a loss.

Wow that's brutal, sorry man. I'd be pissed.

I guess it's time for another conversation with the dealership - the body shop probably just did what they were told. Or just trade it in already and be done with this nightmare.

Take lots of pictures and record any conversations - make sure the dealership doesn't try to say they painted it and you just got new rock chips after you picked it up.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-30-2020 at 02:56 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

That would be infuriating. Fucking hell.

That level of tear down is what is required for a proper respray... but if they didn't spray the side (or side) or roof WTF did they tear it all apart for?

What was the response by the dealer?

Edit: Also I wouldn't be too worried about rattles. My TLX was torn apart twice (once for PDR and once for a full 1/4 panel replacement + rear end damage) and it drove fine and didn't rattle at all.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    That would be infuriating. Fucking hell.

That level of tear down is what is required for a proper respray... but if they didn't spray the side (or side) or roof WTF did they tear it all apart for?

What was the response by the dealer?

Edit: Also I wouldn't be too worried about rattles. My TLX was torn apart twice (once for PDR and once for a full 1/4 panel replacement + rear end damage) and it drove fine and didn't rattle at all.
    That is the exact questions I asked the manager, but via Email. Unfortunately the manager was not around today as he took an extra long long weekend and won't be back until next Wednesday. The assistant manager was out for lunch for another 40 minutes and I'd rather just deal with the main guy anyways, so I fumed a bit with the front desk staff, got in my car and went home. We will see what the manager says.

Didn't hear any rattles or anything on way back, seems like it was put back together pretty good, but still, what a pissoff. I don't think it's fair to take a hit on the trade in, I feel like Subaru should somehow step in and give me more money for trade-in, but that's Subaru Canada I would have to deal with, not the dealership, so I don't really know. Now I know why the body shop quoted 4k.....to take apart my car and paint the hood and the fenders..

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Just makes me think it was all BS when the manager half-heartedly told you the quote was for the whole car and that "all affected areas" will be taken care of.

I had to go back to your older posts to refresh my memory on what repaint services were actually being committed to.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I think this is totally a story that some news outlet would love to cover?

You've given them enough opportunity to fix it.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

It took so long because your job doesn’t pay much. They pushed it to the bottom of the list. With all the hail claims,etc yours was not a priority.

But the fact they ripped it THAT far apart and didn’t respray the whole thing?? Wtf!?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post

But the fact they ripped it THAT far apart and didn’t respray the whole thing?? Wtf!?

Could it be they ripped it all apart, gave quote to dealership and the dealership just said only paint this and this, and bodyshop just did what they were told/paid for.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Could it be they ripped it all apart, gave quote to dealership and the dealership just said only paint this and this, and bodyshop just did what they were told/paid for.
    Very possible. I brought it up multiple times that there are issues on multiple body panels and manager assured me they would fix it all. He ever said that Subaru TSB covers all metal parts of the car as he read it in detail. I don't really know who to believe. Going to wait and see what the manager says. The TSB states that they have to remove the paint, I am worried they just painted over and that it will all come back again too. Don't really know, it's such a pain, I like to be in control and when you hand the car off to one company, who gives it to the other, who the hell knows what was actually done and if it was done based on what Subaru says should be done, or what the body shop thinks they can get away with.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast