Quantcast
BMW Pass restraint fault - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: BMW Pass restraint fault

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Power
    12

    Post BMW Pass restraint fault

    alright so over the last couple of days, my 535 has been sitting at BMW getting a few things looked at before my warranty expires.

    Doing an oil change, Wastegate rattle was happening (at least sounded like it, tech noticed it and agreed) and a passenger restraint fault. Last year they did fix and replace a few things, including the OFHG. Now they say its leaking again, no problem, they fix it and do an oil change and now, apparently the "wastegate rattle" is gone. Hm wierd, but ok.

    Now, I have an extended warranty to cover what I thought was everything except the audio components. Well, they found a fault in the passenger seat mat and so the whole seat needs replacing....not covered under warranty and they want 3k for a replacement.

    This could be a safety issue, you never really know. How could they possibly deny a claim for a faulty airbag sensor, but they'll replace a trunk switch?

    Is there anything I could do about this? I mean when I bought the warranty, I thought i looked it all over, but maybe airbags weren't listed. I would have thought that they'd be covered any way as its a safety measure.

    So, what say you?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Are you asking us if you have warranty coverage for this issue? Post the details of the warranty.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Well you would think any warranty would cover a safety device, but it clearly doesn't.

    They offered to pay half of the 3k and im still not going to do that. Ive accepted that warranty doesn't cover it, but i don't understand it.

    Should I pursue this any further with bmw canada or my coverage 1 warranty or just walk away?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Bicycle
    Posts
    1,596
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Can you just buy the bottom mat where the sensor is? For the E90 3-series, the bottom part of the seat can be replaced vs the entire seat.

    A lot of manufacturers do not cover the entire SRS. I remember in my Honda I had a fault on my driver's side buckle and Honda did not want to cover it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,252
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Extended warranty is generally useless. Factory warranty is only occasionally useless.
    Make the world a radder place, grow a mullet.
    Public Mobile is powered by Phil Collins' mullet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    4,188
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Extended warranty is generally useless. Factory warranty is only occasionally useless.
    Not always - i know a former owner of a 2008? diesel F350 where the extended warranty paid out about 25,000$ in engine repairs over 2 years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Extended warranty is generally useless. Factory warranty is only occasionally useless.
    Its why I dont usually buy them, but I did this time and I'm glad I did, because my last bill before this was 8k and it cost me nothing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    582
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its why I dont usually buy them, but I did this time and I'm glad I did, because my last bill before this was 8k and it cost me nothing.
    Fuck a duck, that's a lot of money for a new car service.
    I'd push harder based on your argument that it's the failure of a critical safety component.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fuck a duck, that's a lot of money for a new car service.
    I'd push harder based on your argument that it's the failure of a critical safety component.
    It wasn't a service, it had a bunch of issues, some I didn't even know about, but they found, like the OFHG for example.

    I brought it in this time before warranty expires and I had to pay out of pocket for everything because they couldn't replicate my issues and then the seat issue.

    Maybe on Monday ill put a call into BMW Canada.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,248
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Insane. BMW scares me. Had the transfer case go on my 328 thank god for warranty or else $6k bill

    Basically the only coverage I want is EVERYTHING lol ain't nobody got time to comb tHRough that fine fine print or maybe just have @shakalaka to send them a letter lol
    max_boost is a name known to all

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,252
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Having no warranty is better. dealers are shit.
    Make the world a radder place, grow a mullet.
    Public Mobile is powered by Phil Collins' mullet.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    not calgary
    My Ride
    changes every year
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Insane. BMW scares me. Had the transfer case go on my 328 thank god for warranty or else $6k bill

    Basically the only coverage I want is EVERYTHING lol ain't nobody got time to comb tHRough that fine fine print or maybe just have @shakalaka to send them a letter lol
    Thats the thing. Even the everything (which was a step above the one I have) didn't cover air bags

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    302
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Other thing you could potentially do to save some bucks, is find a seat from a wrecker. Pretty easy to clear the airbag codes with ISTA.

Similar Threads

  1. Peake FCX-II BMW fault code tool

    By Kaos in forum Alberta BMW Owners Club
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 09-02-2008, 09:13 PM
  2. Child Restraint Crash Test

    By trev0006 in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
  3. accident, whose fault?

    By variable_x in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 23
    Latest Threads: 01-30-2003, 06:26 PM
  4. whos fault is it?

    By Stratus_Power in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 09-18-2002, 03:38 PM
  5. No-fault accident, insurance?

    By szw in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 08-12-2002, 01:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •