Quantcast
Video editing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video editing

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Video editing

Didn't want to go off topic in the build thread, but to you guys who do video editing, what software are you using to edit your videos?

Some friends asked me to help with some video editing on a project they're doing on this summer and I may end up helping with some video stuff where I volunteer in the near future, so I figure I might start playing around with some editing software with my free time.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I'm not a master video editor.

I use Vegas Movie Studio 16. I think I had version 10 before, it's up to 16 or 17 now. I like the interface and it does what I need it to do. I don't know if there's better ones out there.

I have Corel Video Studio sitting on my desk right now. I had it before I got this most recent version of Vegas because it was reviewed well, but I couldn't get it to actually make a video. It would always crash to the desktop, and the one time I was able to get an mp4 created there was a background squealing like a bad bearing. I don't know where it came from and I didn't know how to make it not do that. So I uninstalled it and got Vegas.

So there's an answer on editing video from a jerkoff that isn't good at editing video.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Cyberlink PowerDirector for me!

I'm a n00b, started using it redeeming some Steam bucks, then I ended up just subscribing to PowerDirector 365. Love it, easy, and use it all the time now. Tons of tutorials as well. Super easy to start with if you're learning but also has tons of advanced features.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    rally pig

I'm not a video guy at and it's not something I'm really into but I've been wanting to make some videos of our daughter, my coworkers swear for Final Cut Pro X, myself I'm just happy with iMovie.
    I see that Windows 10 also has a Video Editor software installed now as well and looks like you can do quite a bit on it like iMovie so might give that try as well.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I went from Vegas to iMovie. The simplicity of the workflow and ability to do almost everything I needed all on a phone sealed it for me.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

What is the best video editor to make dank hitler memes?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is the best video editor to make dank hitler memes?
    iMovie does it just fine haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah I've played with iMovie a few times. The UI took me a bit of getting used to. I was just wondering if there was anything else I should be trying.

DaVinci Resolve 16 is the best you will find IMO. And the best part is it's free unless you need to do certain more advanced things such as export in X265/HEVC or 8K. Just like Photoshop, it looks intimidating at first but is actually really easy to use. Color grading in particular is better than Adobe Premiere and if you do choose to buy the Studio version, it's a one time fee instead of $20 USD/mo like Premiere.

If you are just going to work on 8bit video that does not need distortion correction (it's main limitation), LumaFusion (iPad) is hard to beat for power and simplicity and it can do pretty much everything else including apply LUTs. If color accuracy is paramount then you will obviously be better off on your PC monitor, but otherwise the convenience is hard to beat.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

All I want are for my witty captions to line up with the scene with as little effort as possible. Like when benyl goes into memex to clear them out of leds.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 05-31-2020 at 12:25 PM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Guess I'm the only person that uses Premiere.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

so I tried to use Davinci, but it doesn't seem compatible with the 4K videos my iPhone records.

Luma fusion on iPad is what I ended up using. It is great except it doesn't have the ability to synchronize clips.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Guess I'm the only person that uses Premiere.
    That surprises me too. I thought Premiere would have been used by more people.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I'm sure many people use premier without a legit license. Probably don't want to admit it.

I used to use vegas, liked it alot. I've also used FCP quite a bit and like their multi-cam implementation, but my MBP is too slow / old to edit 4K. The iPad is crazy fast at editing 4K60. Renders crazy fast too.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    so I tried to use Davinci, but it doesn't seem compatible with the 4K videos my iPhone records.

Luma fusion on iPad is what I ended up using. It is great except it doesn't have the ability to synchronize clips.
    Davinci on Windows you need to buy the codec from Microsoft. It was originally free as part of Windows 10, then they removed it and charged $2 on the Windows App Store. Broke all my Dolby demos on my HTPC.

Premier fell out of popularity in the last 5 years, and FCP took over, especially for indy films.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post

You just need to grab the codec and you should be good to go. If LumaFusion is working for you though, it's the simplest option and you can work on your project anywhere which is nice.

I used LumaFusion almost exclusively until I started shooting in 10bit LOG, the two main things it cannot do are distortion correction and deal with more than 8bits of data (it will read 10bit H265 but it strips off the 2 extra bits).

$20 USD / month is a lot of money for anyone not editing videos for a living or for their YouTube channel or something. The cost is about the same as purchasing the Studio version of Davinci Resolve every single year.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Davinci on Windows you need to buy the codec from Microsoft. It was originally free as part of Windows 10, then they removed it and charged $2 on the Windows App Store. Broke all my Dolby demos on my HTPC.
    Free here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/he...ot:overviewtab

Works good.

Anyone know how to sync multiple angles?

When I multiselect and right click, I don't see the option for "Create new multicam clip using selected clips…"

Name:  2020-06-01_10-22-56.png
Views: 225
Size:  34.3 KB

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

$20 USD / month is a lot of money for anyone not editing videos for a living or for their YouTube channel or something. The cost is about the same as purchasing the Studio version of Davinci Resolve every single year.

This. Im trying to post minimum 1 video a week and its not even worth it unless I monetized my channel and got way more subscribers. If you are a making videos as a hobby (like myself) you can get away with using older software. I ended up going with vegas pro because it was on humble bundle for cheap a few months ago. Not the easiest to use but tons of tutorials when you get stumped.

Ill definitely switch to premiere though if they ever offer it again for a 1x fee.
    IG:scboss

Quote Originally Posted by scboss View Post
    This. Im trying to post minimum 1 video a week and its not even worth it unless I monetized my channel and got way more subscribers. If you are a making videos as a hobby (like myself) you can get away with using older software. I ended up going with vegas pro because it was on humble bundle for cheap a few months ago. Not the easiest to use but tons of tutorials when you get stumped.

Ill definitely switch to premiere though if they ever offer it again for a 1x fee.
    Sounds about right. Premiere seems to have slightly better audio mixing and Resolve seems to have slightly better color grading. Major difference in cost though, and both programs are so good as to be interchangeable. Adobe also has more dedicated companion programs you have to use rather than integrating it all.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I rarely edit videos, so not going to spend any money. Shotcut for Windows is pretty damned good for free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast