Quantcast
Furnace Fan Not Running - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Furnace Fan Not Running

Default Furnace Fan Not Running

Quick question for you guys since I don't want to bug my builder on a Sunday. Hoping it's something silly.

When I turn on my "ventilation" switch, normally the furnace fan runs and blows cool air and it's connected also to the main floor bathroom exhaust fan. That is how it has worked 100% of the time up until today. Now, when I turn on the ventilation switch, just the bathroom exhaust fan runs, and the furnace/fan does not turn on at all.

Status light on the furnace says it's operating normally. Breaker is obviously fine as I can see the status light. Anything else I can check?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Is your thermostat thingie set to fan? Mine used to do the same thing as yours, and then my circuit board croaked. Had it replaced by a forum member and the ventilation switch no longer works as well, just the bathroom exhaust fan. Never bothered looking into why
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is your thermostat thingie set to fan? Mine used to do the same thing as yours, and then my circuit board croaked. Had it replaced by a forum member and the ventilation switch no longer works as well, just the bathroom exhaust fan. Never bothered looking into why
    It's still set to "heat", I just have the thermostat set to 17C (so it doesn't try to heat), and the inside temp is 23C. It's been like this forever though and turning on the ventilation switch has always just turned on the furnace fan to blow nice cool air into the house up until this morning.

Fan is set to "auto". I also found a setting where it looks like the furnace was set to run the fan for 20 mins every hour to circulate air, which it definitely did not do. It would tun on a few times throughout the day though just to run the fan, which I assume is normal operation.

Nothing has changed in the last ~6 months, so when it didn't work today I got the feeling something was wrong/broken.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-31-2020 at 12:32 PM.

If you change the fan setting to On instead of Auto does it kick on?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Fan on auto will only run when heat is triggered. Set fan to on and it will fire right up.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    If you change the fan setting to On instead of Auto does it kick on?
    There is no way for me to change the fan setting, that I can figure out anyway. There is a fan section in the menu, however all it lets me do is select the duration it will automatically run every hour, and it doesn't seem to pick up that setting at all anyway.

It came on by itself as I am used to and I timed it this time, so it comes on periodically for exactly 3 minutes, maybe 5 times a day. So I know it works at least. I just can no longer trigger it with my "ventilation" switch (separate from the thermostat).

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Fan on auto will only run when heat is triggered. Set fan to on and it will fire right up.
    I don't appear to have that option, unless I just can't figure out how to trigger it. In my "Fan" menu, the only options I am presented with is making a schedule for the fan, which it doesn't follow.

The issue though is with my "ventilation" switch (just a standard switch that is on the wall below my thermostat). Up until today, flipping that switch turned on my bathroom exhaust fan and the furnace fan, but now I can't trigger the furnace fan manually no matter what I do. The fan on the Thermostat has always been set to "auto" when things were working properly, so I don't know what may have changed.

The Thermostat itself is a Lennox iComfort M30, and the manual doesn't even have a section on fan operation unfortunately. I'm not convinced it's a thermostat issue though, since it's behaving as if the wire that triggers my furnace fan when I flip the ventilation switch was cut.

Thanks!

Interesting you don’t have the option. If I remember correctly you have one of those newer HRV ventilation systems? Maybe fan is controlled with that instead of the thermostat? Got no experience with those systems myself but maybe someone else can chime in

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Interesting you don’t have the option. If I remember correctly you have one of those newer HRV ventilation systems? Maybe fan is controlled with that instead of the thermostat? Got no experience with those systems myself but maybe someone else can chime in
    Yeah, I have some fancy new furnace that I don't know how to use lol. It's so different than any home I have ever lived in before so I am finding I have a lot of questions. The builder is coming by today to fix it, he thinks it's just the relay in the switch that triggers the furnace fan along with the ventilation fan. We will see.

I am hoping to get an education on some stuff as well while they're here.

EDIT: Apparently, since I have an HRV, the bathroom exhaust fan should never have been hooked up to the furnace fan anyway. They're coming back next week to sort it all out I think. Probably going to get some AC installed while the're at it because my upstairs is hot af with west facing windows. Anyway, thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-01-2020 at 01:59 PM.