Quantcast
UCP Passes Bill 1. Thoughts? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UCP Passes Bill 1. Thoughts?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a person's reaction to this bill will be clearly decided by thier opinion of recent Canadian protests. Nobody is looking at this in an unbiased manner, because humans are not unbiased.

I'm certainly biased on the side of preventing protests from damaging existing infrastructure or blocking infrastructure construction.
    Anyone looking to damage the existing infrastructure, isn't doing it during a protest though. They're doing it Weibo style. As for blocking infrastructure construction, that's rather useless as the infrastructure we want to build crosses into other provinces that don't have this law. So they'll just block it at the border.

This is pandering to O&G with more negatives than positives

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    The legislation allows the government to arrest peaceful protestors if the government feels that they don't have a right, justification, or excuse to be there. The issue I am taking is that the government gets to now decide when and where it's okay for people to protest, even if those people are being peaceful and not disrupting infrastructure.

It's too far-reaching and ambiguous to be a good thing and the potential for its abuse is high. As the bill is currently worded, they could decide that the steps to city hall are "critical infrastructure" or that a parking lot is "critical infrastructure" and start mass-arresting people. It leaves a lot up to interpretation and feels like an overreach to me. I'm confused as to why you don't see the same issues I do in the bill.
    The ability to redefine what critical infrastructure is down the road is certainly the weakest point of the bill. So if that's your issue with it, I think that is a valid complaint. If your issue is that people should be able to disrupt critical infrastructure which is actually critical, then that's a different issue. I would say that if you are disrupting critical infrastructure then your protest is by definition not peaceful.

At any rate, in terms of egregious over-reach by our institutions, I'm not sure this even hits my radar. The Charter itself is used as a cudgel for political purposes on a regular basis. The entire legal structure behind FN privileges is nonsense. I could go on, but don't want to derail the discussion.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Because it's a UCP bill - I'm seeing the same nonchalant attitude from other UCP voters I've talked to about it.

I think "Who benefits from a system of oppression?" is a much better question to ask.
    Not all UCP supporters (which I am not) were pleased with Bill 10 - the sneaking in of power during a crisis - fuck off Kenney.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...ersial-bill-10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2