Quantcast
Enviro Fee on Changing Tires ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Enviro Fee on Changing Tires ?

Default Enviro Fee on Changing Tires ?

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but I had my winter tires swapped out with my summer tires the other day at the dealership. $200 Labour plus $20 envrio fee. Is that a normal charge on a tire swap ? It's not a huge deal, just wondering what switching a set of tires has to do with the environment

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by cgyITguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but I had my winter tires swapped out with my summer tires the other day at the dealership. $200 Labour plus $20 envrio fee. Is that a normal charge on a tire swap ? It's not a huge deal, just wondering what switching a set of tires has to do with the environment
    Edit: tire fee is 4$ per tire and only on new tires

Also for future reference don't get your tires changed at a dealership. 200$ is a fucking rip off.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 06-05-2020 at 12:25 PM.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

The norm is $4.00/tire. They may build shop supplies in the cost as well to bump it to $20.00.

And yes, $200.00 is STEEP for M+B. Theres several sponsors on here that do a top notch job for significantly less.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

The $4.00 is only when you buy new tires. Not when you do a change over. Was there a shop charge as well or just the "enviro" fee? If not that is what they are calling their shop fees.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Should be $4/tire for recycling fee so total should be $16 IF you buy new tires.

You were doing a tire swap, there is no recycling as you've already paid for it. I bet you anything the dealership you went to had their mount/balance/install coded the same way when they sell tire packages, and they are mount/balanced are coded, thats why it auto charged you the recycling fee.

Go back and get that refunded dude.

If they charged you "Shop Supplies", that's different. Hard to get that refunded as they will say its for rags, brake cleaner, to keep the lights on, to pay for the coffee you drank in the show room (lies, as all employees have $10-20 taken off every cheque for this) but in reality the shop supplies is all profit for the owner of dealership.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 06-05-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Yep, CT in Marlborough tried to once charge me 'tire disposal', 'enviro fee' and also for unrequested Nitrogen in my tires - all for dismounting some tires and installing loose tires which I provided - and then putting the old (good) rubber in the back of my car (which I then later sold on Kijiji).

They did reverse it but they sure tried hard to argue it.

Never CT again for anything mechanical (other debacles too).

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Dealerships are doing it for less than that. I had them take off the old summer tires, put on new tires, and swap out the winters for less than that. After tax, it was under $180 at Glenmore Audi, which is still high, but not $220. But if I wasn't going there for my annual pre-paid service, I would just use Urban-X. Awesome service and pricing from all 3 locations (used them all at some point).

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by cgyITguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not a dumb question.
    To give a comparison, my mechanic charges $80 if the tires are not on rims. Or $40 if its just a straight swap (my summer winters/have their own rims)
    $200 is eye watering high.
    Find a different place or try Urban X.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Yeah, even for low-pro tires, most places will charge 30-35 bucks for mount and install.

You only pay an environmental levy on new tires and for car/suv tires etc it is $4.00 per tire. That is to cover the cost of disposal when the tire is worn out. You should never have to pay a fee for disposing a tire because it was prepaid at time of purchase, even if buying a new car it is there. It may have been a shop supply charge but it should not be an enviro fee. That would be a blatant rip off.