e-Transfer (split) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: e-Transfer (split)

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default e-Transfer (split)

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ridley Fenix C40. First guy to message me bought it; flawless process, except where I had to make awkward convo with him for 40 mins while his etransfer was going through the pipes (note: if someone ever wants to etransfer and they are with CIBC, just send them to a bank to get the cash - it will be faster).
    CIBC is the worst for e-transfers I find. I waited 45 min while a buyers e-transfer came through. Miraculously came through just as we were walking up to the teller to get cash

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    CIBC is the worst for e-transfers I find. I waited 45 min while a buyers e-transfer came through. Miraculously came through just as we were walking up to the teller to get cash
    this has been experience too with 3 CIBC E-transfer I've done in the past, 20-30min.
    introvert me have to come up with topics to discuss for 20-30min while continuously checking for the deposit on my phone

My Ride
    Hybrid

I've done a couple deals where either the buyer or I transferred (password protected) half an hour early... then gave the password in person once everything checked out.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I've done a couple deals where either the buyer or I transferred (password protected) half an hour early... then gave the password in person once everything checked out.
    What if they have auto deposit?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've bought and sold trucks for cash, I I'd probably do the same for a bicycle. You can fit a lot of brown bills in your pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Some banks have the option to send it to a phone number which bypasses the auto deposit.
    I've had people EMT to my phone number.

Not sure which banks have this option. Scotia doesn't have it or I can't find it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    This and that.

Also when transferring it tells you if the person you're sending the money to has auto deposit.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Yea, auto-deposit is a fail. I bought one kids' bike where the seller had autodeposit (bank app warned me beforehand) so I didn't transfer ahead of time. Had to spend a 1/2 hour standing around making awkward conversation on his driveway as he constantly refreshed his email on his iphone.
    Last edited by Strider; 06-10-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Yea, auto-deposit is a fail. I bought one kids' bike where the seller had autodeposit (bank app warned me beforehand) so I didn't transfer ahead of time. Had to spend a 1/2 hour standing around making awkward conversation on his driveway as he constantly refreshed his email on his iphone.
    I've had the same thing happen on a couple of occasions. So now I will either transfer in advance and hold the password (as long as they don't have auto deposit) or if I am selling something, get them to do the same thing. Once the item has been checked out and all is good, take the password. Voila.

Obviously if the person has auto deposit this doesn't work.

My Ride
    rally pig

just remembered, ATB is slow too (at least with my experience last year).

RBC, BMO, Scotiabank have been pretty quick, not sure with TD.

another experience I've had is the seller got my etransfer but the password wouldn't work.
    so I had to login to the website on my phone, cancel the etransfer and send him a new one.
    glad that it was RBC to RBC so it was fairly quick

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

TD seems pretty quick from my experience

CIBC is slow for sure. I find it is slower during non-business hours (i.e. after like 6pm or something). I also bank with RBC so have had all my e-transfers come in through that, it has been immediate pretty much.

If you have autodeposit set up and you want them to send the e-transfer before hand, other than sending to phone number, another option is to get them to send it to another email (that's not linked to direct deposit) and withhold the password until the meet up.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I've bought and sold trucks for cash, I I'd probably do the same for a bicycle. You can fit a lot of brown bills in your pocket.
    +1. Bring some fucking cash.

I have a friend who likes to send EMT's on the spot for Kijiji deals but then she acts surprised when it doesn't go through right away.

After waiting for 20 minutes, the deal didn't go through and everyone went home. All that trouble over $50 worth of maternity clothes lol.

I've only had an issue with TD once a few years ago where it took a few hours to go through. Aside from that, I find it pretty quick. Uusually within a a couple minutes.

My Ride
    4x4

The real question is why can't Canadians have Venmo or what was the Google version?

Stupid banking rules.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    The real question is why can't Canadians have Venmo or what was the Google version?

Stupid banking rules.
    etransfer is way better than venmo tbh. Less fees (since some banks have free etransfers) plus who the fuck wants your friends being able to see what funds you say. Not to mention paypal/venmo basically gets to spy on all your transfers.

I think the auto-deposit is pretty stupid though. It completely skips the fact if you write down the wrong email that money will be gone. At least with the question/answer (assuming you didnt just give them the answer in the question) it makes sure you are communicating with the correct person.

My Ride
    NC1

TD and RBC - instant
    Simplii - 30-45mins delay

Everyone should register for auto deposit.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I find CIBC is instant with people you've had on your e-transfer list for awhile, but slow as fuck for anyone you've just added.

I like to think it's some kind of security thing, but likely just a fault in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Also when transferring it tells you if the person you're sending the money to has auto deposit.
    I almost got burnt with the auto deposit, wife wanted that stupid dyson hair dryer and i found a new one on kijiji for $150 less than stores so i messaged the seller. She said she was out of town for a couple days but would hold it for me if i sent her an e transfer to show i wanted it and she even told me to keep the password until we met up. I went to go do the E transer and there was no spot to enter the password which i thought was a glitch so i closed the RBC app and did it again. Same thing no spot to enter password and then i noticed it said the recipient was set up for autodeposit. Texted the seller to ask her about this and sure enough no reply back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

I recently moved to Scotia from TD and they are both really good. I have only used Scotia transfer a handful of times, but they have been pretty instantaneous for both sending and receiving.

And as mentioned above, auto-deposit is the only way to go. I have had people send and then try to back out before i'veaccepted the funds before, but with auto deposit you don't have to worry about going through any of that hassle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast