Quantcast
e-Transfer (split) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: e-Transfer (split)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Blue boy
    Posts
    4,828
    Rep Power
    11

    Default e-Transfer (split)

    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ridley Fenix C40. First guy to message me bought it; flawless process, except where I had to make awkward convo with him for 40 mins while his etransfer was going through the pipes (note: if someone ever wants to etransfer and they are with CIBC, just send them to a bank to get the cash - it will be faster).
    CIBC is the worst for e-transfers I find. I waited 45 min while a buyers e-transfer came through. Miraculously came through just as we were walking up to the teller to get cash

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    rally pig
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CIBC is the worst for e-transfers I find. I waited 45 min while a buyers e-transfer came through. Miraculously came through just as we were walking up to the teller to get cash
    this has been experience too with 3 CIBC E-transfer I've done in the past, 20-30min.
    introvert me have to come up with topics to discuss for 20-30min while continuously checking for the deposit on my phone

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I've done a couple deals where either the buyer or I transferred (password protected) half an hour early... then gave the password in person once everything checked out.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Blue boy
    Posts
    4,828
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've done a couple deals where either the buyer or I transferred (password protected) half an hour early... then gave the password in person once everything checked out.
    What if they have auto deposit?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,389
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    I've bought and sold trucks for cash, I I'd probably do the same for a bicycle. You can fit a lot of brown bills in your pocket.
    Make the world a radder place, grow a mullet.
    Public Mobile is the best, just like Phil Collins' mullet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Mazda 3
    Posts
    792
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What if they have auto deposit?
    Some banks have the option to send it to a phone number which bypasses the auto deposit.
    I've had people EMT to my phone number.

    Not sure which banks have this option. Scotia doesn't have it or I can't find it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    Benzo
    Posts
    4,357
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Also when transferring it tells you if the person you're sending the money to has auto deposit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What if they have auto deposit?
    Yea, auto-deposit is a fail. I bought one kids' bike where the seller had autodeposit (bank app warned me beforehand) so I didn't transfer ahead of time. Had to spend a 1/2 hour standing around making awkward conversation on his driveway as he constantly refreshed his email on his iphone.
    Last edited by Strider; 06-10-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    Benzo
    Posts
    4,357
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea, auto-deposit is a fail. I bought one kids' bike where the seller had autodeposit (bank app warned me beforehand) so I didn't transfer ahead of time. Had to spend a 1/2 hour standing around making awkward conversation on his driveway as he constantly refreshed his email on his iphone.
    I've had the same thing happen on a couple of occasions. So now I will either transfer in advance and hold the password (as long as they don't have auto deposit) or if I am selling something, get them to do the same thing. Once the item has been checked out and all is good, take the password. Voila.

    Obviously if the person has auto deposit this doesn't work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    rally pig
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    just remembered, ATB is slow too (at least with my experience last year).

    RBC, BMO, Scotiabank have been pretty quick, not sure with TD.

    another experience I've had is the seller got my etransfer but the password wouldn't work.
    so I had to login to the website on my phone, cancel the etransfer and send him a new one.
    glad that it was RBC to RBC so it was fairly quick

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    TD seems pretty quick from my experience
    Nolan

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    677
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    CIBC is slow for sure. I find it is slower during non-business hours (i.e. after like 6pm or something). I also bank with RBC so have had all my e-transfers come in through that, it has been immediate pretty much.

    If you have autodeposit set up and you want them to send the e-transfer before hand, other than sending to phone number, another option is to get them to send it to another email (that's not linked to direct deposit) and withhold the password until the meet up.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Moo Town
    My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've bought and sold trucks for cash, I I'd probably do the same for a bicycle. You can fit a lot of brown bills in your pocket.
    +1. Bring some fucking cash.

    I have a friend who likes to send EMT's on the spot for Kijiji deals but then she acts surprised when it doesn't go through right away.

    After waiting for 20 minutes, the deal didn't go through and everyone went home. All that trouble over $50 worth of maternity clothes lol.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2016 Golf
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I've only had an issue with TD once a few years ago where it took a few hours to go through. Aside from that, I find it pretty quick. Uusually within a a couple minutes.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,195
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    The real question is why can't Canadians have Venmo or what was the Google version?

    Stupid banking rules.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The real question is why can't Canadians have Venmo or what was the Google version?

    Stupid banking rules.
    etransfer is way better than venmo tbh. Less fees (since some banks have free etransfers) plus who the fuck wants your friends being able to see what funds you say. Not to mention paypal/venmo basically gets to spy on all your transfers.

    I think the auto-deposit is pretty stupid though. It completely skips the fact if you write down the wrong email that money will be gone. At least with the question/answer (assuming you didnt just give them the answer in the question) it makes sure you are communicating with the correct person.
    Nolan

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,266
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    TD and RBC - instant
    Simplii - 30-45mins delay

    Everyone should register for auto deposit.
    max_boost is a name known to all

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,290
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    I find CIBC is instant with people you've had on your e-transfer list for awhile, but slow as fuck for anyone you've just added.

    I like to think it's some kind of security thing, but likely just a fault in their system.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    697
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also when transferring it tells you if the person you're sending the money to has auto deposit.
    I almost got burnt with the auto deposit, wife wanted that stupid dyson hair dryer and i found a new one on kijiji for $150 less than stores so i messaged the seller. She said she was out of town for a couple days but would hold it for me if i sent her an e transfer to show i wanted it and she even told me to keep the password until we met up. I went to go do the E transer and there was no spot to enter the password which i thought was a glitch so i closed the RBC app and did it again. Same thing no spot to enter password and then i noticed it said the recipient was set up for autodeposit. Texted the seller to ask her about this and sure enough no reply back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,210
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I recently moved to Scotia from TD and they are both really good. I have only used Scotia transfer a handful of times, but they have been pretty instantaneous for both sending and receiving.

    And as mentioned above, auto-deposit is the only way to go. I have had people send and then try to back out before i'veaccepted the funds before, but with auto deposit you don't have to worry about going through any of that hassle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Split threads (split)

    By tirebob in forum Suggestion/Comment Box/Forum Related Stuff
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM
  2. Maximum amount to transfer via e-transfer?

    By nzwasp in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 27
    Latest Threads: 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
  3. To Transfer or Not To Transfer?

    By dj_patm in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 12-22-2011, 02:34 PM
  4. transfer credit part of program transfer GPA

    By boostless in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 04-07-2007, 05:36 PM
  5. help! how to transfer md to cd???

    By choweyt3t4 in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 03-11-2003, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •