Rock Auto - defective water pump - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rock Auto - defective water pump

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So again, why is their policy crap?

They sold you a kit and the expectation would be that the kit is returned if there's a problem with the kit. Any local mechanic shop where you've supplied the parts won't give you any break on labour if your supplied parts proved to be defective, if that local mechanic was using parts that they supplied than it would be a different situation. Expecting a parts supplier to reimburse you labour for defective parts is laughable, they have absolutely no proof that you or the mechanic shop you used damaged the parts and you expect them to now reimburse you for part of a kit? Wtf?
    agreed, OP shouldn't even be asking for the labor back. That's rediculous.

However, this is the first time I have heard them (or anyone) asking for the whole kit back when asking for a replacement of a defective part. Usually what has happened in my experience, is they would crack open a new kit, and upon getting the defective part back, give me the replacement and then ship that kit back to the manufacturer. I guess YMMV...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

So again, why is their policy crap?

They sold you a kit and the expectation would be that the kit is returned if there's a problem with the kit. Any local mechanic shop where you've supplied the parts won't give you any break on labour if your supplied parts proved to be defective, if that local mechanic was using parts that they supplied than it would be a different situation. Expecting a parts supplier to reimburse you labour for defective parts is laughable, they have absolutely no proof that you or the mechanic shop you used damaged the parts and you expect them to now reimburse you for part of a kit? Wtf?
    i'm expecting them to credit the cost of the water pump if sold separately, i realize that any labor would be a pipe dream. I was perplexed for them to ask to take the rest of the timing belt kit off to get a refund and the cost of labor to do that just doesn't make sense.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'm not surprised. Gates is a shit brand. I got a full timing belt/pump kit (uninstalled) included when I bought my 4runner, and it's still sitting in my garage because I installed OEM instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I'm not surprised. Gates is a shit brand. I got a full timing belt/pump kit (uninstalled) included when I bought my 4runner, and it's still sitting in my garage because I installed OEM instead.
    yea, the shop ended up using the belt itself and ordered a oem water pump as from what i'm reading, gates is shit particularly in the water pump department.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    And I thank you for that.

My Ride
    bus

I purchased a gates kit for my Subaru a few years ago. The price was good but when the kit came only some of the parts were decent enough to use. The worse was the crappy Chinese made water pump. Rockauto was good enough to take the kit back and covered the shipping cost. I ended up buying an Asin kit which was much better and only $20 or so bucks more than the gates kit.

I’ll never buy gates branded stuff again.

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    I purchased a gates kit for my Subaru a few years ago. The price was good but when the kit came only some of the parts were decent enough to use. The worse was the crappy Chinese made water pump. Rockauto was good enough to take the kit back and covered the shipping cost. I ended up buying an Asin kit which was much better and only $20 or so bucks more than the gates kit.

I’ll never buy gates branded stuff again.
    i'll never buy gates either, all the other kits were out of stock at the time of purchase. Should have been more patient.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

This thread sure delivers...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This thread sure delivers...
    Any jabjab thread usually does.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

But it was sold as a kit... How often can you take parts from anything and return what you didn't/can't use?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Any jabjab thread usually does.
    Pretty much the scat of 2020
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

If it is warped and they won't take it back I can probably machine the mounting surface and or fix any issues with the new pump
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

OP

Later last year in a moment of weakness I bought a BMW X3 with a Six speed, when I bought it it had a slight clunk in the drivetrain, I has my mechanic look at it and we determined it was a centre carrier bearings. I made the deal and dropped it off at his shop. after he tore into it we found out it was the entire rear driveshaft. we looked at local stock and trying to get it rebuilt those costs ended up being 1200ish. I bought a full replacement through Rock auto ($475) and after doing the replacement which was a pain In the ass due to removing all the heat shields and exhaust. The new shaft's carrier bearing was defective. we bought a local replacement ($30) and swapped it in. we submitted a claim and after a few conversations and info Rock auto actually credited up back a few hundred dollars.
    Note: my mechanic had to send documentation of his time and cost of the new parts.

I did have to call a few times but they did follow through and send me a refund.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2