Quantcast
Rock Auto - defective water pump - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rock Auto - defective water pump

Default Rock Auto - defective water pump

I ordered a Gates timing belt kit from Rock Auto and the shop just called me and said the water pump is warped or something cause it started to leak right away.

I put in a return label but now i'm left with purchasing a local water pump at a much higher cost and the labor to take out the defective one. Anyone ever run across this situation? Are they good with returns? will the compensate for the wasted labor? (highly doubt it)

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I have found their return window is a bit tight but overall i have returned multiple items. Some defective, some just ordered wrong by me. No issues as long as it falls in their return period.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have found their return window is a bit tight but overall i have returned multiple items. Some defective, some just ordered wrong by me. No issues as long as it falls in their return period.
    do you have to pay return shipping on defective returns?

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    do you have to pay return shipping on defective returns?
    i had two options, one free return label with fedex and one paid one for 18 bucks with Canada post. I picked the free one...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I ordered a Gates timing belt kit from Rock Auto and the shop just called me and said the water pump is warped or something cause it started to leak right away.

I put in a return label but now i'm left with purchasing a local water pump at a much higher cost and the labor to take out the defective one. Anyone ever run across this situation? Are they good with returns? will the compensate for the wasted labor? (highly doubt it)
    Labor not a chance.

Replacement sure.

This is sort of why when it comes to items like this I sometimes prefer to buy local in case some effs up. Might cost more but less downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Labor not a chance.

Replacement sure.

This is sort of why when it comes to items like this I sometimes prefer to buy local in case some effs up. Might cost more but less downtime.
    Yea, i didn't think that they would, hopefully they return me the money what it would cost for that water pump on its own

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You will never get labour back - thats why I always visually inspect the parts for obvious things, and I have returned things back immediately this way before (eg. P/N or wrong part that clearly was not going fit).

My Ride
    changes every year

Ya their return and customer service sucks. The one part(i still have) was ordered wrong by me and it was going to cost more for the return, than the price of the item...wtf.

I kept it. If anyone needs a heater core for a 2004 and up ford f150, I have a brand new one lol

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Ya their return and customer service sucks. The one part(i still have) was ordered wrong by me and it was going to cost more for the return, than the price of the item...wtf.

I kept it. If anyone needs a heater core for a 2004 and up ford f150, I have a brand new one lol
    I've kept parts before like this and sold locally on Kijiji. Just make sure you post the interchange p/n and the vehicles it can go on as well.

So customer service emailed me back saying thatI will only refund me if I return the entire kit but the belts already on and I had get a water pump local to get the car on the road.

Their policy is crap

My Ride

Thats the trade off for cheap prices online - you will get burned on occasion.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Thats the trade off for cheap prices online - you will get burned on occasion.
    And it's a very fair trade. You could have this issue 1/10th of the time and come out way ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

So customer service emailed me back saying thatI will only refund me if I return the entire kit but the belts already on and I had get a water pump local to get the car on the road.

Their policy is crap

So let me get this straight - you bought a water pump replacement kit which sounds like it included more than just the water pump and now you want to return just one portion of the kit?

Any local shop would most likely tell you to pound sand as well, you buy a kit and if there's a problem then you need to return the whole kit. The shop sells it to you as a kit and most likely the shop buys it as a kit - why would you expect any shop, online or local, to be willing to take back just parts of a kit.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    So let me get this straight - you bought a water pump replacement kit which sounds like it included more than just the water pump and now you want to return just one portion of the kit?

Any local shop would most likely tell you to pound sand as well, you buy a kit and if there's a problem then you need to return the whole kit. The shop sells it to you as a kit and most likely the shop buys it as a kit - why would you expect any shop, online or local, to be willing to take back just parts of a kit.
    Yes, I understand that part of returning the whole kit. What happened is that everything was installed from the kit already(timing belt) and when tested we found out the water pump was a shit. Ripping everything else apart to return the pump isn't worth it from a labor standpoint. IF i was my own mechanic doing the work, sure i i would take that route.
    Last edited by jabjab; 06-12-2020 at 07:59 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Thats the risk you take with ordering online. They have been reasonable, not sure what you expected otherwise. My car was down for a week last month because 1/4 brake lines I ordered from them had bad threads, and damaged the flare nut too. Had to replace the flare nut, cut the line and reflare it etc and wait for replacement lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Thats the risk you take with ordering online. They have been reasonable, not sure what you expected otherwise. My car was down for a week last month because 1/4 brake lines I ordered from them had bad threads, and damaged the flare nut too. Had to replace the flare nut, cut the line and reflare it etc and wait for replacement lines.
    I have dealt with FCP euro usually for my other import and they are great, expedited parts that were broken or missing etc. I've usually had positive experience with online vendors like them, this is only the 2nd time dealing with Rock Auto.

My Ride
    *The First*

Never heard of a belt coming with the pump. Makes sense, but also dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Never heard of a belt coming with the pump. Makes sense, but also dumb.
    It was a timing belt kit, included the water pump.

My Ride
    Goes Vrr and PShh.

I've had multiple times off RockAuto where a listing for the part was completely wrong. Ordered engine mounts don't fit. Ordered power steering pressure line; wrong fittings on the end of the line. I'm sure for simple parts like water pumps and brakes they work good.

Yes, I understand that part of returning the whole kit. What happened is that everything was installed from the kit already(timing belt) and when tested we found out the water pump was a shit. Ripping everything else apart to return the pump isn't worth it from a labor standpoint. IF i was my own mechanic doing the work, sure i i would take that route.
    So again, why is their policy crap?

They sold you a kit and the expectation would be that the kit is returned if there's a problem with the kit. Any local mechanic shop where you've supplied the parts won't give you any break on labour if your supplied parts proved to be defective, if that local mechanic was using parts that they supplied than it would be a different situation. Expecting a parts supplier to reimburse you labour for defective parts is laughable, they have absolutely no proof that you or the mechanic shop you used damaged the parts and you expect them to now reimburse you for part of a kit? Wtf?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast