Quantcast
Best Remote Desktop Software - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Remote Desktop Software

Default Best Remote Desktop Software

Hey all,

I am a total computer related techno-peasant and I am trying to find an effective way to be able to control my shop computer system a remote laptop so I can work from home more. I don’t think it is incredibly complex but if it matters, we have a main server that ask so acts as a back office workstation and two front work stations networked with the main server. All three locations can access the POS/Accounting system as the same time so really I only need to be able to access the server I think.

Does using one of these simple Remote Desktop Software program subscriptions sound the the thing I want? If so, is it as simple as that? Does it take over the server when I am using it so nobody else in store can be using it at the same time? Is there any weirdness I need to know about? Lastly, how the hell do you pick one? Are they all the same or is one better than another?

Any guidance you can give me would be appreciated. I know a little less than nothing about this kind of shit.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I never will recommend a remote connection to a server unless you have a tunnel setup.

In fact I don't really recommend any remote software into a corporate system unless its 100% secure or you run the risk of a possible breach.

My Ride
    rally pig

There's TeamViewer and LogMeIn, we use both and found LogMeIn easier to setup but performance, I find TeamViewer to be better.

From what I recall, you can configure both so that when you are remoted in, the remote screen gets locked.

If you use Google Chrome as your browser, you can also try this - https://remotedesktop.google.com/?pli=1

Of the 3, I would recommend TeamViewer (free for personal use). I use VNC for my home but it requires more setup and knowing how to setup network ports.

My Ride
    06 S2000

It depends what you're looking for specifically. Do you want a laptop you can load the software up onto directly, or do you want to remote into a machine in your office that's already setup. If you do that, someone in the shop won't be able to use it.
    If you do option 1, you could potentially setup a VPN or tunnel, so you can only do it from that laptop, with that VPN.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have done 100% if my work from Microsoft RDP for 3 months now and it’s been flawless. Hide the connection bar and I can’t tell the difference.

Biggest recommendation is a wired low latency connection for smoothness.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I have done 100% if my work from Microsoft RDP for 3 months now and it’s been flawless. Hide the connection bar and I can’t tell the difference.

Biggest recommendation is a wired low latency connection for smoothness.
    If working through RDP, I assume you are running a VPN Tunnel as opening the RDP to the open internet is not a good idea.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    If working through RDP, I assume you are running a VPN Tunnel as opening the RDP to the open internet is not a good idea.
    Pretty much this. Microsoft RDP is great but you can't use just that. You need some sort of VPN tunnel to safely connect to your work network.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Nope, just password protection and MFA confirmation for logins.

I have a VPN setup on my surface to access things directly on the network but I’ve never used it. Need the horsepower of my workstation rather than rely on things being processed locally on my laptop.

We utilize a dedicated RDP gateway on the network if that makes you feel better?
    Last edited by killramos; 06-15-2020 at 08:44 AM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Holy fuck... I am so out of date it is ridiculous! Lol! Tunnelling? MFA?

I just want to be able to access to POS system we use so I can generate and print reports, accounting shit and maybe book some appointments and invoicing. Low level stuff I am sure. That said, we absolutely want to make sure we do not have to worry about being com promised somehow. It isn’t like we retain any sensitive data on clients or anything other than name and phone number and vehicle (no CC info etc) but still I want to be 100% responsible to them.

I wonder if it makes more sense to see about getting another of the POS system seat licenses on a home computer and just go that route?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i use Chrome remote desktop because it's a google product, i assume it's secure, uses MFA plus additional remote access passwords... and best of all it's free.. I used teamviewer until they kicked me off the free version.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Holy fuck... I am so out of date it is ridiculous! Lol! Tunnelling? MFA?

I just want to be able to access to POS system we use so I can generate and print reports, accounting shit and maybe book some appointments and invoicing. Low level stuff I am sure. That said, we absolutely want to make sure we do not have to worry about being com promised somehow. It isn’t like we retain any sensitive data on clients or anything other than name and phone number and vehicle (no CC info etc) but still I want to be 100% responsible to them.

I wonder if it makes more sense to see about getting another of the POS system seat licenses on a home computer and just go that route?
    I honestly don’t think you need to kill your self over this, I’m sure any solution will work for you.

I’m not sure Huawei or the Russians are trying to figure out your tire inventory numbers.

fact.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If you want a easy solution just download teamviewer on your work computer and then you can access it from home. Your workers would have to stay off that computer while you are on it. I think you could get away with the free for personal use license (they don't really check) but if you want you could also purchase the one user option as well.

That being said make sure to use a very secure password on your teamviewer account.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

we have a main server that ask so acts as a back office workstation
    Side note - this is a huge no no for a system that is business critical - unless you're talking about a workstation acting as a 'server' to host a Sage multi-user setup for eg.

As far as remote access, I've moved away from TW and LMI - I use connect wise control remote now exclusively.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-15-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Side note - this is a huge no no for a system that is business critical - unless you're talking about a workstation acting as a 'server' to host a Sage multi-user setup for eg.

As far as remote access, I've moved away from TW and LMI - I use connect wise control remote now exclusively.
    The server is really a workstation for the most part. It just carries the main POS system program that the other two work stations draw from, but all of us currently do that without issue so remotely access in should not be a big deal?

My Ride
    rally pig

Nope, just password protection and MFA confirmation for logins.

I have a VPN setup on my surface to access things directly on the network but I’ve never used it. Need the horsepower of my workstation rather than rely on things being processed locally on my laptop.

We utilize a dedicated RDP gateway on the network if that makes you feel better?
    RDP gateway is fine as long as your IT Team locked it down securely. I just wouldn't open a basic Windows PC RDP port to the open internet unless you know what you are doing.
    Any ports that you open to the public internet means exposure to vulnerability for you.

I honestly don’t think you need to kill your self over this, I’m sure any solution will work for you.

I’m not sure Huawei or the Russians are trying to figure out your tire inventory numbers.
    Customer data breach and ransom/cryptoware is what I would be worried about.

The server is really a workstation for the most part. It just carries the main POS system program that the other two work stations draw from, but all of us currently do that without issue so remotely access in should not be a big deal?
    yeah I wouldn't expose or install a remote tool on a server or anything that runs critical apps or sensitive data.
    use a separate machine like the laptop that you leave in your office as jumpbox, then RDP to the server from there.

going VPN route, then you can securely remote to any computer in your office without having to rely on a jumpbox.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Thats big no no.

Most POS systems need to sit in a closet on their own, completely isolated if possible with VLANs.

The system can literally be a 300$ old Windows 7 PC as it sits there and idles most of the time, but it should be alone. The more simple and decentralized the setup, the more stable and reliable your office back end will be.

I assume you also have image backups of the POS system? If a HDD craps out tomorrow on it, can you restore and be up and running in a few hours worst case?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

So many big ransomware cases I've read about came through open systems with RDP open to the Internet.
    Huge no-no!
    Any RDP in our office is over VPN, AND has MFA.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Lots of acronyms floating around, biggest one though

MFA = Multi Factor Authentication
    You can get a text message, phone call, hit a prompt on your phone or enter in a code into the system you're trying to connect to, this way if your credentials are compromised, you also need a second authentication method to proceed
    Sig nuked by mod.

Lots of good info here! In the end I decided to go with an iMac desktop at home and will just lease another seat license. Then my idea is if if I am out and about I can use my iPad Pro to Remote Desktop my home computer and not have to take over the server and lock anyone at the shop. Does that sound about right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Only comment is new iMacs are heavily rumoured ti be coming out in the next few weeks so maybe just wait a bit.

Macs don’t go on sale. So it’s pretty punitive to buy right before a refresh.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#mac

fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast