Quantcast
Do you continue to support Mem-Ex or other local computer retailers? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you continue to support Mem-Ex or other local computer retailers?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

IPR is such BS.

Once upon a time it was "Instant Product Replacement"
    Now it's "In-Store Product Replacement" after two solid weeks of diagnosis and trying to point to uncovered damage

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I don't have issues with MemEx because I go in knowing what I want. The advice there can be spotty depending on the guy you get. I wish that the guy had not talked me into a cheaper mATX mobo instead of the more expensive ITX mobo last time.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s funny that memex is expensive now. Back in the day their low prices decimated the wholesale and mom and pop computer shop market. It was cheaper for me to source parts through memex than my wholesaler. So it’s ironic that they’re the expensive guys now.

Anyways I still use them regularly even if amazon is cheaper. To a degree anyways, 30 bucks or so difference, I’d rather support local. Plus an excuse to drive these days.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2020 and NCIX still being brought up lol.
    LOL whoops, meant newegg. Freudian slip. Haha
    Cos...

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

God I remember the shit show store that used to be on 32nd ave where the Adult source is now took them forever to get my video card RMA done. I was so happy when Memx opened in the NE.

I don't think I have ran into any issues with their sales staff yet, but normally I just tell them exactly what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Hard drives I'll buy at MemEx cause in my experience Amazon likes to ship them in just an anti-static bag and a bubble mailer.

Also crap, didn't see that chart a couple years ago. Didn't realize my 8TB Red was SMR. Have to get another one soon so probably will go Ironwolf.
    I get mine at Best Buy mostly, then shuck them. I've had a couple shipped as well though and did not have any issues, but I agree it makes me nervous too.

Your 8TB REDs should be PMR/CMR, only the 2-6TB Red (non-pros) are SMR so I don't think you need to feel bad about anything.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

What do you guys do with the enclosures after you shuck them? I had no idea people did that. I just always assumed external hard drives cost more!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    As for shucking the drives, I guess their figuring that out and soldering them into place now and you don't know until you crack them open. Also apparently people are assuming that since it is USB they are the platters that fail on SMART, which I've never seen; and I've scavenged 2 -3 of them by now, but I'm hesitant now.
    I haven't come across a soldered one yet but some of them are. Those 10 TB Barracuda Pros all just pop right out and aren't soldered, Seagate makes two different external enclosures with that drive in it and I've bought both types without issue. Normally what you do is find a teardown of the external drive you're considering so you don't run into those kinds of issues but I guess there's always a chance. The other thing you can do if you're not convinced a particular drive is inside is just plug it in before you shuck it and look at the model number of the internal drive to be 100% sure before breaking the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    What do you guys do with the enclosures after you shuck them? I had no idea people did that. I just always assumed external hard drives cost more!
    I just Recycle the plastic, you usually have to break the clips to get them out. The electronics still work though so if you want to keep around a test bench or whatever for future hard drives, you can keep that part.

30 seconds and a thin flathead screw driver or a credit card will get you to the drive in most enclosures.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I recently had a good first experience with MemEx. Had what I needed and price matched with Amazon. Plus the place is just cool!
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I always liked MemEx, good story too behind it and their expansion is a real positive that I appreciate from a home grown company. However, I will say that when I was doing my latest build, they were really constantly trying to upsell me even though I was very clear about my intent (office, surfing etc). Also, last time I went it was a bit close to the closing time and it was like they were trying to chase me out of the store.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

Outside of waiting for sales, I'll use PPP for seeing which retailers have the best prices for what I'm looking for....amazon too good in most cases.

My Ride
    rally pig

never had issues with Mem-Ex, bought most PC hardware from them couple of weeks ago simply because they had the parts and for peace of mind I prefer them doing the CPU + Mobo + RAM install to make sure it post and BIOS up to date (free service anyway)

hard drive, I just from the cheapest place and since my NAS is running 4x2TB I'm just buying used 2TB drives for cheap.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can anyone comment on the IPR for a complete desktop system? Either prebuilt or assembled by memex? I had thought previously that if you had the IPR on the whole thing, and one part failed, that they would get you whatever part was needed to get it back up and running, not just "some equivalently priced part" which someone above suggested. Is that still the case?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    MemEx for me is usually a “I need this today” type shop, they seem to pretty rarely be the best price on anything anymore.

They very rarely even have what I want these days.
    And hard drives. Because I don't trust random deliver dude (especially Amazon) won't play football with the boxes.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

Outside of waiting for sales, I'll use PPP for seeing which retailers have the best prices for what I'm looking for....amazon too good in most cases.
    That's a sweet site actually.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I get mine at Best Buy mostly, then shuck them. I've had a couple shipped as well though and did not have any issues, but I agree it makes me nervous too.

Your 8TB REDs should be PMR/CMR, only the 2-6TB Red (non-pros) are SMR so I don't think you need to feel bad about anything.
    Didn't they just started doing SMR the last few years? That said, I had to replace a Seagate 4TB and bought a Red recently. Never bother to check.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    And hard drives. Because I don't trust random deliver dude (especially Amazon) won't play football with the boxes.
    Didn't they just started doing SMR the last few years? That said, I had to replace a Seagate 4TB and bought a Red recently. Never bother to check.
    I never considered the fact that HDD's being jostled around in shipping would be an issue. Guess we will find out here when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

I've actually been doing lots of reading and watching youtube since you brought it up. Here is a bit better list with the actual SKU's. Seems the 2TB WD I bought isn't SMR either. Weirdly.

https://nascompares.com/2020/04/16/y...-need-to-know/
    Cos...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I figure there is plenty of jostling happening from the trip from Thailand to storage in the warehouse here.

I’m not overly concerned about the last mile of shipping tbh.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

for seagate

Name:  seagate.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  34.9 KB

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've dropped well over 120k at mem ex the last 5 years (usually the SE location) but with amazon click to door service, it means I dont have to drive there anymore and my day is more productive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast