Sports cars under $50K? - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Sports cars under $50K?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now ya speaking my language
    I dunno. The dash looks a lot like a car2go.

Name:  2019_kia_stinger_dashboard.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  driver-dash-and-infotainment-system-of-a-2018-Mercedes-Benz-CLA-Coupe_o.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  91.3 KB

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Now ya speaking my language
    Oh I've absolutely liked the Stinger GT since it first came out and I drove my BIL's in California.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Oh I've absolutely liked the Stinger GT since it first came out and I drove my BIL's in California.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    Yeah, but your XFR is older than the 3 year max
    Oops. Reading fail.

Though I did say my car would not be what he was looking for. I just used it as an example of how cars depreciate quickly and how high performance is attainable for pretty cheap. His budget is over double what my car is worth anyway so I imagine that opens up some options. Like I said, there are many german models that fit the bill and with a tune would be real rockets.

As for the Stinger - I love Doug and know I will be in the minority here, but I am just not as thrilled with how the Stinger looks. Overall I feel it is a decent looking car but all the sporty bits look tacked on to me. And I just can't get over that strip off the rear lights which looks totally out of place imo.

Still, it is a real performance bargain. Especially if one was inclined to throw a JB4 or something on it, which claims a pretty nice 100/100 increase.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 06-21-2020 at 12:56 AM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I don't consider this a sports car. I would rather get into an ATS-V bad gauges and all over this or the Stinger. The interiors of the Genesis and Stinger aren't really much better than Cadillac and the Alpha chassis is special.
    Last edited by heavyD; 06-21-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    I don't consider this a sports car. I would rather get into an ATS-V bad gauges and all over this or the Stinger. The interiors of the Genesis and Stinger aren't really much better than Cadillac and the Alpha chassis is special.
    And therein lies the problem, what exactly is a sports car? Is it a 2 door 2 seater, a 2 door 4-5 seater coupe, a 4 door 4-6 seater sedan, a 4 door 4-6 seater coupe?

To me, a Lotus Evora GT is a very good definition of a sports car - 2 doors, 2 seats, lightweight. So are 4 door sedans sports cars or are they just sporty luxury sedans. Is a 4 door Porsche sedan a sports car?

My Ride
    NC1

A vehicle that is sleek looking, good power and can handle those corners.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think any car that is expressly designed for performance fits the bill

Start trying to draw lines and you end up deciding nothing is a sports car other than a dedicated 2 seater track toy.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

The term is different for everyone - but manufacturers have really blurred the lines with these luxury sedans and coupes that nearly rival supercars with their ridiculous powerplants and forced induction engines. Now electric is coming on the scene? Please. Pickup trucks are poised to offer similar performance shortly. That's nuts.

So then if power is no longer part of the equation, it will have to come down to handling superiority - where heavy vehicles have more difficulty. But even there - magnetic and adaptive suspension tech is allowing vehicles to almost defy physics it seems. I imagine that superiority will also fade to some degree.

Shit. Are we leaving the era of the "sports car"? That'd be a shame. What the hell are our boys gonna grow up dreaming for? A multipurpose jellybean of a vehicle that can just so happen to do a 12 second quarter?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    And therein lies the problem, what exactly is a sports car? Is it a 2 door 2 seater, a 2 door 4-5 seater coupe, a 4 door 4-6 seater sedan, a 4 door 4-6 seater coupe?

To me, a Lotus Evora GT is a very good definition of a sports car - 2 doors, 2 seats, lightweight. So are 4 door sedans sports cars or are they just sporty luxury sedans. Is a 4 door Porsche sedan a sports car?
    Sure the Lotus Evora is a sports car in the traditional sense but if you limit your criteria to 2 doors, 2 seats, lightweight you have such a shallow pool to choose from that the OP would be receiving answers to his question of vehicles that are either unattainable or very hard to find. To me a sports car today would be a vehicle that's intended purpose first and foremost is performance with luxury and utility taking a back seat. I would consider a Civic Type R more of a sports car than the Genesis which is a luxury car with sporting pretenses. Porsche cars, Supra, Corvette, Mustangs (in certain trims), Camaros (ditto), some M and AMG cars, even an STI is what I consider today's broad definition of mostly attainable sports cars.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    Shit. Are we leaving the era of the "sports car"? That'd be a shame. What the hell are our boys gonna grow up dreaming for?
    Rare skins on Fortnite.

Since the 90s, all cars are slowly becoming less unique as they are built from commodity parts. They looks different and has different UI but that's about it. Electrification will continue that trend. Chassis and suspension design will the only thing will set cars apart. How many ways can you spool a bunch of wires inside a electric motor when a simple set up already gives you close to 2-3s to 60?

Any EV maker that doesn't do 3s-ish to 60 are just holding back.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

The term is different for everyone - but manufacturers have really blurred the lines with these luxury sedans and coupes that nearly rival supercars with their ridiculous powerplants and forced induction engines. Now electric is coming on the scene? Please. Pickup trucks are poised to offer similar performance shortly. That's nuts.

So then if power is no longer part of the equation, it will have to come down to handling superiority - where heavy vehicles have more difficulty. But even there - magnetic and adaptive suspension tech is allowing vehicles to almost defy physics it seems. I imagine that superiority will also fade to some degree.

Shit. Are we leaving the era of the "sports car"? That'd be a shame. What the hell are our boys gonna grow up dreaming for? A multipurpose jellybean of a vehicle that can just so happen to do a 12 second quarter?
    This is probably one of the reasons for the huge value increase in 80's and 90's cars that seem to be selling for silly amounts of money on Bringatrailer.

My Ride
    *The First*

I love the Evora-S!!

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    This is probably one of the reasons for the huge value increase in 80's and 90's cars that seem to be selling for silly amounts of money on Bringatrailer.
    I get it now. It literally just hit me. 10 years ago I cared for brand and power. Today the nostalgia is kicking in and prefer the simplicity of yesteryear vs current day tech stuff which I don't really understand. Getting/feeling old now.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Z

I used to be a proponent of auto transmissions because they were faster. Now I have 2 MT cars and would never change to auto because they're way more fun but slower
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    I used to be a proponent of auto transmissions because they were faster. Now I have 2 MT cars and would never change to auto because they're way more fun but slower
    I'm the other way. I had a manual, and I was bored shitless with it. 1st, 2nd, red light. Green light, 1st, 2nd, red light. Medicine Hat doesn't really have any streets that make a manual fun though.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

For me, DCT w/ rev matched downshifts that actually shifts instantly when you pull the paddle is better than anything else. After that I would take a MT, and then a traditional automatic last.

Driving something like a CTR though with it's 6MT (and rev-matched downshifts) is so much fun that it doesn't have me wishing for a DCT, even though it's probably one of the few things that could technically improve that car even more.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    I'm the other way. I had a manual, and I was bored shitless with it. 1st, 2nd, red light. Green light, 1st, 2nd, red light. Medicine Hat doesn't really have any streets that make a manual fun though.
    Did the car you're referring to have a proper exhaust that brought joy to your heart with every rev-match/heel-toe? If not that might have been your problem.. i'm getting older but that sound still brings great joy to me. If I went from VQ37 to LSx as i'm currently contemplating I can only imagine it increasing

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
    Did the car you're referring to have a proper exhaust that brought joy to your heart with every rev-match/heel-toe? If not that might have been your problem.. i'm getting older but that sound still brings great joy to me. If I went from VQ37 to LSx as i'm currently contemplating I can only imagine it increasing
    It was a 2014 Camaro ZL1, so sound wasn't the issue.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    It was a 2014 Camaro ZL1, so sound wasn't the issue.
    So lack of heel toe skills then?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast