Quantcast
AMG to use F1 turbo technology in road cars - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: AMG to use F1 turbo technology in road cars

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default AMG to use F1 turbo technology in road cars

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...etails-photos/

F1's MGU-H, which is an electric motor installed between the compressor and turbine, is coming to road cars. Instantly spin up the turbo to any speed at low RPMS and off throttle to eliminate turbo lag, and recover energy at full throttle to limit compressor speed (basically acting as an energy recovering waste gate).

MT thinks it's coming to 4 cylinders first, which on the road map looks to be the new C63 and updated versions of the 45 engine. Coupled with a hybrid drivetrain, that could mean a completely lag free 500+hp in a 2L 4 cylinder.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    V8s

Equal parts awesome and disappointing.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Equal parts awesome and disappointing.
    When you realize that you may as well just go buy a Model 3 and install these on it and it'll sound better.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Is this any different than the 48V generator they use on the AMG GLE 53 outside of using a more powerful motor? I just don't think AMG cars will be the same without the V8 as that's their bread and butter. As an enthusiast I feel engine character matters to me as it adds to the drama of driving fast. 4-cylinder engines suck and electric motors while effective have no aural appeal.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Is this any different than the 48V generator they use on the AMG GLE 53 outside of using a more powerful motor?
    Yes. The 53 has 2 systems.

1. Electric supercharger. This is completely separate from he actual turbo itself. On demand, it spins up and compresses a small amount of air. That air is directed to the intake at low rpms for power, and directed to the exhaust turbine at higher rpms to spin the turbo up faster.

2. Motor generator between engine and transmission. This charges the system when decelerating, and sends powers (up to 21hp) to torque fill even more, as well as reduce fuel consumption.

The new e-turbo is the MGU-H setup in F1. This splits the compressor and turbine, and puts a motor/generator between the shaft that connects both sides. This replaces #1 completely. At any rpm, when you go on throttle, the motor will instantaneously spin up the compressor to the needed rpm, feeding compressed air instantly on throttle tip in so there's zero turbo lag. This also replaces the function of the waste gate (although the waste gate is there as backup in case this thing fails). It mimics the function of a waste gate by controlling boost and compressor speed by slowing down/maintaining shaft speed and generating electricity with the generator in between the compressor and turbine. In F1, at full throttle, the e-turbo MGU-H generates enough electricity to add 70hp to the electric motor at max boost. Basically recovering waste exhaust energy.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yes. The 53 has 2 systems.

1. Electric supercharger. This is completely separate from he actual turbo itself. On demand, it spins up and compresses a small amount of air. That air is directed to the intake at low rpms for power, and directed to the exhaust turbine at higher rpms to spin the turbo up faster.

2. Motor generator between engine and transmission. This charges the system when decelerating, and sends powers (up to 21hp) to torque fill even more, as well as reduce fuel consumption.

The new e-turbo is the MGU-H setup in F1. This splits the compressor and turbine, and puts a motor/generator between the shaft that connects both sides. This replaces #1 completely. At any rpm, when you go on throttle, the motor will instantaneously spin up the compressor to the needed rpm, feeding compressed air instantly on throttle tip in so there's zero turbo lag. This also replaces the function of the waste gate (although the waste gate is there as backup in case this thing fails). It mimics the function of a waste gate by controlling boost and compressor speed by slowing down/maintaining shaft speed and generating electricity with the generator in between the compressor and turbine. In F1, at full throttle, the e-turbo MGU-H generates enough electricity to add 70hp to the electric motor at max boost. Basically recovering waste exhaust energy.
    This sounds completely awesome to me.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

This actually sounds like it would be a fun setup.

Mercedes knows how to build fun 4 cylinder motors too.

My Ride
    V8s

I'd love it if they'd pair it with an I6 of some type. I know that's not really MB's thing though. It's mostly just the 4cyl that's off-putting for me, especially given how awesome their V8s are (were?).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd love it if they'd pair it with an I6 of some type. I know that's not really MB's thing though. It's mostly just the 4cyl that's off-putting for me, especially given how awesome their V8s are (were?).
    You (and a lot of people) have real hang-ups about the geometry of engines. I'll bet if you locked the hood and put a V8 badge on the fender people would be creaming thier jeans like a high school confidential.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You (and a lot of people) have real hang-ups about the geometry of engines. I'll bet if you locked the hood and put a V8 badge on the fender people would be creaming thier jeans like a high school confidential.
    Honestly, it's more of a sound thing for me. V8 and I6 sound great. V6's almost never sound good. I4 only sounds good if it's in a sport bike and revs to 9 million RPM.

I could go into weight distribution, compatibility with different AWD configurations, etc., but really that'd be significantly overreaching on my part. I just like loud noises.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’m driving an AMG I6 hybrid right now. Guaranteed this will be used in this engine at some point to replace the existing electric compressor.

Mercedes is ditching their V6 for the I6 this generation. All the 450s and 53s are I6 since 2020 MY.

My Ride
    V8s

I’m driving an AMG I6 hybrid right now. Guaranteed this will be used in this engine at some point to replace the existing electric compressor.

Mercedes is ditching their V6 for the I6 this generation. All the 450s and 53s are I6 since 2020 MY.
    Oh right right right. Idk how I forgot the 53 was an I6. Will the new 63 be a hopped up version of yours, and 73 will be V8 hybrid? and 43 I4 hybrid?

Regardless, that's awesome they've got an I6 in the lineup that will probably be used for some time.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh right right right. Idk how I forgot the 53 was an I6. Will the new 63 be a hopped up version of yours, and 73 will be V8 hybrid? and 43 I4 hybrid?

Regardless, that's awesome they've got an I6 in the lineup that will probably be used for some time.
    73 is V8 PHEV for sure. New 63 is supposedly I4 Hybrid but who knows. 43 (V6) is mostly discontinued, just waiting on C and GLC next gen in MY2022 and MY2023. Not sure if the 43 name is retiring or what.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm waiting for the E93 Estate.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

Imagine if they could spin up the electric motor and somehow transfer the torque directly to the wheels. I know its crazy talk, please continue complicating reciprocating piston engines.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Not sure if the 43 name is retiring or what.
    Well, they just detuned the I6 and slap a 43 badge on the 4 door GT while 53 exist as well.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    It's no different than automatic vs DCT vs manual transmissions. They all accomplish the same task but there's differences between how they carry it out and pros and cons for each. Plenty of people have strong opinions about which one they prefer. V8+ engines sound the best and there's no replacement for displacement. Inline 6 engines have always been superior to V6 as they are simpler in design, produce less vibration, and sound much better. There's a reason the inline 6 is making a comeback. I've owned as many turbocharged 4 cylinder powered cars as anyone and while there are some good ones they are now pretty well all the same now with a bit of lag, big midrange, and power tapering off after 5k RPM and they all sound bad. If you put a V8 badge on a car with a 4 cylinder exhaust people will be making an awkward and confused face the moment you rev out the engine.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    When you realize that you may as well just go buy a Model 3 and install these on it and it'll sound better.

The hilarious part is many german cars have just as authentic of exhaust note.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    hah yep, my peasanty Golf R does. And ya know what, I like it now. lol
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Yupp, fake exhaust and/or engine sound generators have been a thing now for a while on numerous vehicles - put your hand up if you're a beyond member with a vehicle that has electronic sound generators. You know you're out there, hell, some of you may not even know you're out there.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast