Quantcast
Your good deed for the day - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Your good deed for the day

Default Your good deed for the day

I am always amazed at how most people will not get involved in situations that do not directly affect them. Yesterday while enroute to a new job site in Bowness, I was driving SB on 14th a Street NW and happened to notice a person who appeared to be passed out on a transit bench just a block south of 20th Avenue. As I drive by I realized that if this person were to were roll/fall off of the bench then there was the very real possibility that they would end up getting run over by a vehicle. I worked my way back to a safe location off of 14th Street on 19th Avenue and called CPS to get some officers out to attend to this person. After a short time, two separate CPS officers showed up and indeed it turned out to be a very under the influence person who just happens to pick that bunch to pass out - one of the CPS officers thanked me as they said the 20-30's something lad was not capable of standing up and walking away safely on their own.

Some guess I would call that my good deed of the day for that particular day. What amazed me was easily 100+ vehicles that passed by while I as there and not a one stopped to check on the man nor did any of them call the situation into CPS per the CPS officers. No one in the directly adjacent office building called CPS as did none of the pedestrians who walked by. Myself, I would've felt like the ultimate schmuck if I had heard on the news of a man getting run over and hurt or killed whereas I passed by that person and I did nothing about it.

Yah, it took probably 30-45 minutes out of my day but the young man was now safe and now at least not a possible statistic because of what could've possibly occurred.

So what was your good deed for the day - I'd like to hear of deeds whereas you've stepped out of your personal family-based bubble and have aided someone/something that you could've just as easily passed by and ignored.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yah, it took probably 30-45 minutes out of my day but the young man was now safe and now at least not a possible statistic because of what could've possibly occurred.
    I have worked for some employers that would not be OK with me taking 45 minute at the side of the road to be a good Samaritan. Sad but that used to be a reality.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yup, it is a shame. Companies always talking about when you're working, we want to be safe and accountable. They tell you to speak up when you see something wrong and don't feel afraid to do the right thing because of judgement or repercussions from management.

Well, they should also put an emphasis on doing the right thing outside of work too. You're more likely to practice something when it is part of your culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    I have worked for some employers that would not be OK with me taking 45 minute at the side of the road to be a good Samaritan. Sad but that used to be a reality.
    I work for myself but I did apprise the company I'm currently subbing to of the situation. There was not an issue with what I did, an adverse response by that company could've very well meant me looking to sub for a more morally responsible company.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Good on you sir. I grant you many reps and karmas.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I am always amazed at how most people will not get involved in situations that do not directly affect them.
    Pyschological theory of The Bystander Effect.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    changes every year

Good on ya @speedog

My Ride
    NC1

You're a great dude.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I am always amazed at how most people will not get involved in situations that do not directly affect them. Yesterday while enroute to a new job site in Bowness, I was driving SB on 14th a Street NW and happened to notice a person who appeared to be passed out on a transit bench just a block south of 20th Avenue. As I drive by I realized that if this person were to were roll/fall off of the bench then there was the very real possibility that they would end up getting run over by a vehicle. I worked my way back to a safe location off of 14th Street on 19th Avenue and called CPS to get some officers out to attend to this person. After a short time, two separate CPS officers showed up and indeed it turned out to be a very under the influence person who just happens to pick that bunch to pass out - one of the CPS officers thanked me as they said the 20-30's something lad was not capable of standing up and walking away safely on their own.

Some guess I would call that my good deed of the day for that particular day. What amazed me was easily 100+ vehicles that passed by while I as there and not a one stopped to check on the man nor did any of them call the situation into CPS per the CPS officers. No one in the directly adjacent office building called CPS as did none of the pedestrians who walked by. Myself, I would've felt like the ultimate schmuck if I had heard on the news of a man getting run over and hurt or killed whereas I passed by that person and I did nothing about it.

So what was your good deed for the day - I'd like to hear of deeds whereas you've stepped out of your personal family-based bubble and have aided someone/something that you could've just as easily passed by and ignored.
    Not the most recent example, but this happened 5 ish years ago now.

I was at BP's chinook with family as my sister was working.
    I noticed a man sitting at the bar just crushing beer but was doing okay and not bothering anyone.
    He left at ~ 23:00 and stumbled out of the building.
    At approximately 00:30 my cousin and I left and noticed him passed out on a bench right outside the doors.
    Now it was -25c, and he was in a jean jacket... I approached him to see if he needed help and was visibly shivering and unable to walk.
    We asked if we can call a cab or an ambulance to get him somewhere safe and he said he lived across the street (confirmed with his ID) so my cousin and I loaded him up into my SUV and drove him to his apartment building.
    We helped him get inside the building when he said he is good now and can make it to his apartment... He was at least in a warm building so if he passed out inside, well.. he's warm lol.

So we waited outside while he climbed the stairs and was out of sight.

I went back to the BP's and had a conversation with the manager as he was HEAVILY over served, and for all you ex servers/bartenders out there you know the business is liable for their safety once they leave the premises.

What made me sad about this situation was this man was outside for nearly 1.5 hours, in -25c, no gloves and in a jean jacket, AND NO ONE HELPED HIM!!! He was literally 10' from the entrance to BP's.
    He was extremely grateful we helped him, and quite honestly he probably would have died had we not.

Well during the lockdown I was still taking the train to work some days, twice there were guys that were either high or drunk in my morning commute. The first guy, I saw right before my stop, so I went and knocked on the drivers door told him there was a guy passed out and unresponsive but the driver shrugged it off, I got off my stop and the train kept going. The second was a guy in a similar state but this time he kept hitting his head on the seats, so I sent a text to the transit emergency number. Transit cops came in at the city hall station and checked on him. More often than not everyone ignores it when they see people high or passed out, but I normally say something or get someone to do a welfare check.

This guy though I left alone, if anything I was jealous he got to sleep during the commute:
    Name:  241C6D23-B344-49C6-AA25-D4C6C66A6263.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  43.4 KB
    Last edited by Clever; 06-19-2020 at 01:20 PM.

A second good deed within a week, found a lost drone on the 25th, did some sleuthing and had it back in the owner's hands less than 24 hours later. The unexpected $40 cash thank you was just icing on the top.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

A second good deed within a week, found a lost drone on the 25th, did some sleuthing and had it back in the owner's hands less than 24 hours later. The unexpected $40 cash thank you was just icing on the top.
    That's hush money so you don't snitch on him for flying a drone near the Seton hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    That's hush money so you don't snitch on him for flying a drone near the Seton hospital.
    Could very well be but it'll buy a bit of good beer or a whole bunch of cheap beer and I do like good beer.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to speedog again.
    Apparently I've liked something you posted recently

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

Not sure if anyone saw the guy on the news who scooped the baby eagle out of lake Windermere and brought it to shore, but it turned out it was injured and still too young to fly. I came across it at the marina and called around and got in contact with the OWLS rescue center. I sent photos and helped them find him so they could come pick him up and take the eagle to their center.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by civicrider View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw the guy on the news who scooped the baby eagle out of lake Windermere and brought it to shore, but it turned out it was injured and still too young to fly. I came across it at the marina and called around and got in contact with the OWLS rescue center. I sent photos and helped them find him so they could come pick him up and take the eagle to their center.
    That was a friend of mine that pulled it out.. crazy story. Id be a little more scared about a frightened bird attacking with its beak or talons.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    That was a friend of mine that pulled it out.. crazy story. Id be a little more scared about a frightened bird attacking with its beak or talons.
    Yeah, ballsy grabbing that thing with your bare hands. It was almost 2 feet tall!