Quantcast
Finally time for the solar panel? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Finally time for the solar panel?

Default Finally time for the solar panel?

Basing this on the idea that pretty much all of the glass manufacturers in China will be moving to Fab 10.5 this year (which also means ultracheap 65 and 75 inch HDTVs) and assuming that the USA cannot place a tariff on Canadian purchases from China.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Still rare and not sure why it would be used for solar as smaller removable panels probably more suitable for solar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._manufacturers

But what this tells me is that as Korean has muscled out Japanese in display business, China seems to do the same to Koreans soon.

LG won't have a gen10.5 fab until 2023 and given their display unit is losing money fast, I really doubt they can continue for long being 4 years behind the Chinese.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-22-2020 at 08:45 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm not following what ZenOps is talking about, as usual, but I am pretty excited for the continued increases in efficiency from Solar PV and the simultaneous decrease in price. There's about 1000w/m2 energy in sunlight, if we could approach 50% overall efficiency at our latitude, that would be nice. We have some ways to go for that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm not following what ZenOps is talking about, as usual, but I am pretty excited for the continued increases in efficiency from Solar PV and the simultaneous decrease in price. There's about 1000w/m2 energy in sunlight, if we could approach 50% overall efficiency at our latitude, that would be nice. We have some ways to go for that though.
    I think he either correctly or incorrectly tying display glass fab vs solar panel glass fabs. I can't really verify if they are related in any way.

47% efficiency PV is already possible in lab. It doubles the current deployment of 21-23% cells. If it ever leaves the lab and priced the same as current panels, it would be even cost effective to have them up in Calgary.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...20illumination.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, 47% "cell" efficiency in a lab is a long way from 50% panel efficiency in the field.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well, 47% "cell" efficiency in a lab is a long way from 50% panel efficiency in the field.
    True, there is ~10% penalty in the field. So it'll be more like 35% vs today's 23%. Still either 50% less panel or 50% more power depends how you want to deploy it. And that's enough to drop ROI for typical 20 years without subsidization to 10 years.

But leaving the lab and getting price down could still be a long way to go.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm a big fan of energy technologies. Exciting stuff, hope the commercialization comes soon.

I think reject glass is used for solar panels. It can literally be a "D" grade glass, and as long as it doesn't have a major defect it will almost have zero impact on efficiency. They tend to dope the solar panel glass with materials that allow people to stand on top of it.

The tiniest imperfection on a HDTV glass panel is immediately noticeable.

Oddly enough, we are at the point now where a 100 watt panel of equivalent size can basically power a LED HDTV of equivalent size. HDTV with a power cord? Might not be necessary in the next decade, as long as you always face it northwards and downwards looking up. Still wondering when they are going to put a 10 watt panel on the back of an ipad. Take away the power cord and AC converter put it towards half a pound of lithium battery and aluminum heatsink around the edges, seal the entire thing up to make it weatherproof - and every solar HDTV will be an outdoor rated model.

BTW: If they ever get around to the solar panel Ipad: I can imagine in a couple months someone will make a bar fridge/cooling charging table that shines a light through the top (just like the sun, but at the one square foot dimensions of an Ipad) and also kicks in a fridge system that keeps it at a cool 15 Celsius for maximal charging longevity and efficiency. Big problem with todays wireless chargers is that it warms up the device too much. Might as well make an entire table with fridge system.

Last edited by ZenOps; 06-23-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I'm a big fan of energy technologies. Exciting stuff, hope the commercialization comes soon.
    I've been waiting for years
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.