Quantcast
Exporting luxury goods from Canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Exporting luxury goods from Canada

Default Exporting luxury goods from Canada

I was recently asked to help find a Rolex for a friend in Hong Kong. It turned out to be much harder to find here than a well functioning kidney transplant. Not to mention the price hike/gouge.

So, I am looking into buying overseas and shipping it over. Which leads to many questions:

1) Are there any export taxes on already taxed (GST) fashion items?
    2) Do shipping companies insure these types of items? Valued between 10 to 20k USD
    3) Which authorized dealer should I use?

Any other concerns or issues I should be aware of?
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Man, that's an expensive piece of hardware to ship overseas.

You down for a 11 hour flight to courier it to him for a fee? Haha.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Mail the box and certificate via certified mail

Wear the watch on the plane Like @rx7boi suggests haha

Grab some dimsum and egg waffles

???

Profit

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

If you want the package properly insured, you will need to tell them the exact contents of it. Which means you will be paying duty/taxes on the HK side. It might be easier for him to come here and buy it to wear it back (ship the empty box and papers), than for you to buy it.

I'd only trust DHL or FedEX with it, based on my experience sending/receiving expensive items.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I get what @npham is saying but I've seen enough Border Security to know that CBSA is pretty watchful about that kinda stuff. I think border security in HK are no different and have seen it all.

Always a risk and if you're spending that kind of money for a luxury watch, just pay the extra money and declare it either way.

The asians always act confused and play dumb when their bags of LV and Gucci get confiscated.

"This is my uncle's bag. He packed it for me."

I think @flipstah is willing to make that trip on your friend's behalf haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man, that's an expensive piece of hardware to ship overseas.

You down for a 11 hour flight to courier it to him for a fee? Haha.
    Unfortunately, Calgary to HK is more like 18 hours. And keep in mind you have a return trip lol. Flights today is not possible with quarantine and such. It is probably still cheaper to pay the taxes and insured shipping than to buy at market rate in Hong Kong. Just for kicks, how much would your delivery fee be? lol

Going through the "legal" way, I am still not sure what to expect or what to do. Is exporting a already locally taxed (gst/pst) item taxable again? I only see import regulations and import regulations into the USA via Canada. Again, it is IMPORT taxes. Also, who would be collecting the taxes? DHL?
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    Unfortunately, Calgary to HK is more like 18 hours. And keep in mind you have a return trip lol. Flights today is not possible with quarantine and such. It is probably still cheaper to pay the taxes and insured shipping than to buy at market rate in Hong Kong. Just for kicks, how much would your delivery fee be? lol

Going through the "legal" way, I am still not sure what to expect or what to do. Is exporting a already locally taxed (gst/pst) item taxable again? I only see import regulations and import regulations into the USA via Canada. Again, it is IMPORT taxes. Also, who would be collecting the taxes? DHL?
    IIRC HK doesn't have duties or taxes on general imports and a watch would fall under that. I believe you can declare it at full value and they shouldn't get hit with duties (unless its over some kind of exemption? I'm not baller enough to know that high of amount).

GST/PST has absolutely nothing to do with sending something to HK. Only the country its importing into will assess fees depending on their policies.

However if you purchase a watch outside Canada and import it to Canada first ... you'll get bent over for you to receive it here.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    IIRC HK doesn't have duties or taxes on general imports and a watch would fall under that. I believe you can declare it at full value and they shouldn't get hit with duties (unless its over some kind of exemption? I'm not baller enough to know that high of amount).

GST/PST has absolutely nothing to do with sending something to HK. Only the country its importing into will assess fees depending on their policies.

However if you purchase a watch outside Canada and import it to Canada first ... you'll get bent over for you to receive it here.
    Thanks. I know bringing goods into Canada is a bitch. But exporting out of Canada should have on issues. This is what I want to double check, given the price tag on these babies. As far as I know, HK has no import rules on luxury goods.

I have heard Authorized Dealers in Canada are refusing services to legit buyers. Is it true they are only selling in bulk to flippers?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I definitely underestimated the hours despite having just made the trip couple years back haha.

I guess when you factor in that most flights go to YVR first and then it's another 14 hours to HKG, I'm way off.

I don't have a delivery fee but I wouldn't do it for less than $2000 in the pocket, and that's if he also paid for the round trip ticket.

Hopefully you find the answers to your questions!

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Might be worthwhile to give FedEx/DHL a call to see if they can provide some insights. Going to HK I would recommend DHL.

I don't have any experience with shipping personal goods of that value internationally, but we ship commercial goods in that $ range via Air (UPS Express) to outside of North America all the time. Not sure if this would be applicable for non-commercial shipments but:

1) We have to complete a B13A export declaration form for any export shipments (excluding to US) that is >$2K in value, and it has to be reviewed and stamped physically at the Customs office by the airport before you include it in the shipping documents. I think the are switching this to be fully electronic soon though

2) When you declare a value for anything >$100 while you are setting up the shipment, UPS will charge $1.05 per additional $100 as insurance charge. so a $20K declaration value = ~$200 in additional fees. Up to $50K in declared value. Anything over you will need to find your own insurance I think.

3) Even if there are no Duties associated with Goods being imported, UPS might still charge a Customs processing/clearance fee.

I think shipping is not too big of a concern. But damn.. I did not realize how fucking impossible it is to buy a Rolex. It turns out theres a "global" shortage of the fancy rolexes (daytona/Submariner). So its virtually impossible to buy from retailers and can only be found through flippers.

Anyone know how to get my hands on a submariner without paying a super premium over retail price tag?

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

So, you want to buy a Rolex here (Calgary), and ship to Hong Kong?? (Which somewhat makes sense with weak Cad$ now)

Or you want to buy a Rolex in US/UK etc and ship to HK?

Couple month ago, buying in Aust was a great idea, low Aus $, and soft pricing, but not anymore.

Not the other way around? There are tons of Rolexs in Hong Kong ... Sadly, average price been up ~10%+ in June alone. (but dropped like 15% in April)

If you want "normal" Sub, due to Covid 19, factory was closed for few month, but it has been gradually re-open, demanding is still very high now, if you are not in rush, probably wait till next year, and it should only take few month to get a 16660 or 114060. (I somehow prefer 114060, it looks cleaner, and the date function is not that useful nowadays)

Meanwhile, the street price of Sub is only ~20% more than MSRP in HK, which is somewhat acceptable, unlike Steel Daytona ... near double! (unless you go Yellow Gold or Two Tone)

Or just buy a GS! Nicer movement, nicer finish, nicer size, nicer fit, and lower street price! (other than some limited edition)
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Is it really that hard to buy retail even in Calgary? thats a joke....

My Ride
    Eclipse

They will need to pay duty/tax/excise tax etc so the price comes out to be around the same their as it is here (After currency exchange rates)

This is the same if you buy tobacco products online from say the EU to Canada (or USA) -

If you want to get away with it, you will need to travel to hong kong with it in your hand without the pricetag so it's "used" not new.

Even with gifts when you travel AFAIK can be taxed over a certain amount.

It usually makes it not worth it it's always their plan.

Now if you had other things such as a cell phone (I think u can bring 2 cell phones) you could sell that as well when you travel.'

I might be wrong here but when I wanted to bring a cell phone into Poland travelling I knew i could only bring 1 new one, if I wanted to bring clothes I had to remove all the tags.

There is spots to arbitrage here but it isn't that simple, usually you need to travel there, the other problem is when you get paid and exchange the money, if you travel with over 10k you need to declare it (or it can get confiscated)

Edit: This is why jaymez had a big thread on importing cars from the US, it was still cheaper with the fees, now its americans coming to canada to buy cars.

Unless of course HK has different rules for importing items but I find it very hard to believe that they do.
    Last edited by Kobe; 07-03-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Not how sure how relevant this video is to this thread, but I can across this couple nights ago

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Not how sure how relevant this video is to this thread, but I can across this couple nights ago

This is exactly the damn problem. These damn resellers are working with ADs. They jack up the price and create a stock "shortage". Realistic these fucking shit luxury things are mass produced and are not worth even the retail price. Fuck I hate the invisible "social status" for luxury brand watches. It isnt to show off how rich you are, but instead how gullible someone is to marketing.

This is exactly the damn problem. These damn resellers are working with ADs. They jack up the price and create a stock "shortage". Realistic these fucking shit luxury things are mass produced and are not worth even the retail price. Fuck I hate the invisible "social status" for luxury brand watches. It isnt to show off how rich you are, but instead how gullible someone is to marketing.
    And how is that different from what you are trying to do other than being on a different scale? Buying a watch in Canada to export it to Hong Kong due to price delta... It seems that you contribute to the problem?

Rolex produces >1 million steel watches / year. Their supply chain difficulties could cause potential long-term reputational damage...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakadah View Post
    And how is that different from what you are trying to do other than being on a different scale? Buying a watch in Canada to export it to Hong Kong due to price delta... It seems that you contribute to the problem?

Rolex produces >1 million steel watches / year. Their supply chain difficulties could cause potential long-term reputational damage...
    Im not the one buying it lmao. I am merely trying to help my girlfriends' dad buy one. If it werent for him asking, I wouldnt waste any fucking time (pun) on finding a rolex. Absolutely disgusted by this fake prestige marketing by Rolex.