Quantcast
Recommend me a graphics card!? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Recommend me a graphics card!?

Default Recommend me a graphics card!?

So my old rig was dusted off this past week, got a clean OS install and Id like to update the graphics card. I mostly use my laptop as my main rig now but I’d like to update this old girl so we can have two decent machines. Below is what it is, I’ve been leaning towards a 6gb 1060 or maybe a 8gb Radeon card. I think the rest of it should be fine for what we will use it for.

ASUS CG8480 ROG Tytan
    ASUS Desktop PC CG8480-CA003S Intel Core i7 3770k (3.50 GHz) 16 GB DDR3 3TB HDD + 128GB SSD HDD NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670 2GB GDDR5 Windows 8

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Wait until the fall. New shit from Nvidia will be a big deal.

If you can make it a few months, do it.

My Ride
    Eclipse

I was planning on buying one on amazon prime days, when should they be on sale than?

Dunno if it will be a better deal than prime days
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Just did this for a client, the GTX 1660 SUPER (or Ti) was the best price/performance point (as of last month).

My Ride
    TypeR

If your going used try to get a 1070 or 1080 to future proof yourself a bit if your goal is 1080p. Even though no rtx it will handle settings at max for the most part and they are relatively cheap. If going new wait for 3 series.
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

1080ti is best bang for the buck by far. 2080super performance for $600. I've been running live deepfakes off mine and it's incredible.

30xx cards should be impressive, but they're likely gonna be $2k+ for the top tier stuff.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Nobody can recommend you a card without knowing your desired resolution, frame rate, power supply wattage, and the games/apps you use. We need that info first for a worthwhile suggestion.

The short answer is wait though (if you can), there will be a generational price/performance leap with Nvidia's 3XXX series with the drop to 7nm so you will be able to take your pick between a much improved new card or a heavily discounted previous gen card.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody can recommend you a card without knowing your desired resolution, frame rate, power supply wattage, and the games/apps you use. We need that info first for a worthwhile suggestion.

The short answer is wait though (if you can), there will be a generational price/performance leap with Nvidia's 3XXX series with the drop to 7nm so you will be able to take your pick between a much improved new card or a heavily discounted previous gen card.
    Sorry I don't have much more for specs other than what I listed. its just for my wife to try out a couple games with me, mainly New World (when released) and FF14. Nothing fancy, monitor is just a 1080 32". Id like to get something sooner than later, not after the latest and greatest for this unit, mostly use my laptop for higher demanding games. I'm just concerned about the power supply, would it need to be changed if I went 1660ti 6gb? Honestly not sure what the stock PSU is, I believe its the OEM Asus unit so probably cheap.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    Sorry I don't have much more for specs other than what I listed. its just for my wife to try out a couple games with me, mainly New World (when released) and FF14. Nothing fancy, monitor is just a 1080 32". Id like to get something sooner than later, not after the latest and greatest for this unit, mostly use my laptop for higher demanding games. I'm just concerned about the power supply, would it need to be changed if I went 1660ti 6gb? Honestly not sure what the stock PSU is, I believe its the OEM Asus unit so probably cheap.
    The reason I am strongly recommending that you wait is because your buying power is going to increase significantly in about 3-4 months when these new cards are released.

You'll probably want a beefier PSU for sure. I'm running an 850W on an i7/6700k, GTX 1080, SSD, etc.

My Ride
    Ford F150

make a new build on https://pcpartpicker.com/ with all your current parts. It will tell you the power consumption vs your supply. Swap out the GPU with the 1660ti and see if it's still in safe tolerance.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride

That rig came with a- Power Supply 500W (googled your PC model from the first post).

Definitely spend 150$ or so on a decent, Gold series or higher PSU.

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-CP-9020131-NA-TX750M-Modular-Supply/dp/B00FZLD2O0/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=platinum&qid=1593204640&s=pc&sr=1-17

No need to apologize. OK well if it's just completely generic, there are some go-to GPUs for 1080p.

PSU shouldn't be a huge deal if you already have an existing GPU (presumably it was OK for that) and are buying something newer. I'd try to get some confirmation there if you can though, you don't want to be stressing it. Worst case scenario, the very best PSUs are around $100-150 depending on wattage until you get into ridiculous territory. You will probably want a 550W at bare minimum but ideally 650-750W. The gold/platinum/bronze ratings don't mean much as virtually all worthwhile PSUs perform better than their ratings from an efficiency standpoint throughout a normal load range.

The usual suspects for 1080P gaming GPUs are going to be a Radeon 5600XT (ideally the 14Gbps VRAM variant), RTX 2060 and GTX 1660 Super. The RTX 2060 is the most power hungry at 175W, next the 5600XT at 150W and finally at 1660 Super at 125W. Keep in mind that is at full utilization, so it will be lower unless you're gaming maxed out. None of those are very power hungry.

My Ride

Geeking out on PSUs here for a second - what is your experience with PSUs?

Here are my subjective observations:

- bronze/silver/gold, is just a power efficiency rating - however there is some correlation to build quality as well
    - I tend to buy PSUs by WEIGHT and WARRANTY. So if a 600W psu weighed 6lbs and came with a 10 year warranty, I would get that over a 4lb 750W unit with a 5 year warranty.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Looks like GTX 670 pulls around 150W so a 1660 Super should be just fine without a new PSU. +1 to Mitsu, 1660 Super or 5600XT should be just fine for your case.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I wasn't thinking about the old cards coming down in cost. I think the game releases in August so I will hold tight a bit and watch for a deal. Sounds like updating the PSU is in the works as well. I thought about getting a newer build machine but I think the 3770k is still quite a capable processor and spending $500-$600 on a PSU/Card should be sufficient.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I wasn't thinking about the old cards coming down in cost. I think the game releases in August so I will hold tight a bit and watch for a deal. Sounds like updating the PSU is in the works as well. I thought about getting a newer build machine but I think the 3770k is still quite a capable processor and spending $500-$600 on a PSU/Card should be sufficient.
    1080P gaming is typically more CPU bottlenecked than GPU bottnenecked, so make sure you check specific benchmarks so you don't end up buying something you cant even take full advantage of. That being said, Intel has made extremely little headway in the last ~6 years in that department so unless you are playing a game that can take advantage of more than 4c/8t, you can probably save your money for now. You should be pretty safe with those cards, but if you buy anything much better it may be hard to see the value depending on the title if you stick to 1080P.