Quantcast
Vivint or Telus smart home security? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Vivint or Telus smart home security?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default Vivint or Telus smart home security?

We have an air bnb cottage, we are looking at smart thermostat, smart front door lock, motion sensor and doorbell cam to help us manage the security. Most important feature is the front door lock so each guest gets a unique passcode. Next important is the thermostat so we know the guests haven't changed setpoints to something ridiculous that racks up the energy bill. What do you guys recommend for service. I'm not interested in a diy system.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

If you are interested, I can hook you up with a TELUS referral, gets you a bill credit i believe.

Full disclosure, I work for TELUS. Having said that, I have the TELUS home alarm system, and it has been really good overall. Everything integrates pretty great, the only issue I have had is the video doorbell has been pretty sketchy and will disconnect on it's own, and if I don't notice, it will stay that way for days. I probably have a bum unit, but, it hasn't been enough of an inconvenience to me to make me bitch about it yet.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    *The First*

Never Vivint ever, under any circumstances.
    And this is coming from someone with nothing but bad experiences with Telus.
    ABV - Anything But Vivint.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

What sort of experiences did you have with vivint?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are interested, I can hook you up with a TELUS referral, gets you a bill credit i believe.

Full disclosure, I work for TELUS. Having said that, I have the TELUS home alarm system, and it has been really good overall. Everything integrates pretty great, the only issue I have had is the video doorbell has been pretty sketchy and will disconnect on it's own, and if I don't notice, it will stay that way for days. I probably have a bum unit, but, it hasn't been enough of an inconvenience to me to make me bitch about it yet.
    A referral would be great, thanks Spikers.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    What sort of experiences did you have with vivint?

- - - Updated - - -

A referral would be great, thanks Spikers.
    Everyone I know who has Vivint severely regrets it. Very high prices and insane contractual terms & lengths. Their door locks are junk and go through batteries like crazy.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Everyone I know who has Vivint severely regrets it.
    +1, everyone that I've known to have Vivint has dumped them after the first year.
    Ironically, they sent a door knocker for their MLM division(ACN) around my neighbourhood yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Everyone I know who has Vivint severely regrets it. Very high prices and insane contractual terms & lengths. Their door locks are junk and go through batteries like crazy.
    I have had vivint, ADT and now currently Telus.

Vivint is fine. Their equipment is essentially the same save for the control panel which recently was updated anyways. The problem i have with vivint is the long term lengths. You can finagle them down to 3 years but thats still a long time.

ADT and Telus are the same thing now.

Telus has been good so far. The best part about telus is no contract unless you want to subsidize the equipment and the self monitoring cheaper option. Gets you the Home Automation thought the internet and all the alerts you need but without having to have it monitored. I haven't been a fan of monitored solutions since vivint. Its a pain in the ass when it comes to false alarms and the one time they should have dispatched someone, they didn't even call. Now i get alerts to my phone with pictures and i can call the cops myself if need be.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm pretty sure my ADT contract was two years, but maybe now that they are Telus, it's longer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I keep my united security lawn sign just to help get rid of door-to-door alarm salesbros. Although last telus dude got door slammed in his face when he just would not shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TDi

I went from ADT (lot's of fun false alarms w/ a dog isn't nice) to Liberty ($55 for basic)

My contract finished with Liberty so I decided to shop around. Almost went with Telus, but Liberty beat their pricing and more for the same tech.

I'm paying $35 for:
    - all windows and doors monitored
    - motion sensor on basement and main floor
    - door bell alarm + video
    - 2 exterior video cameras
    - 24/7 video recording on the SVR

I could have added the 2 thermostats and door locks for extra, but wife didn't want them. I think he quoted around $47.99 +-$2
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I've had Vivint now for about 6 years
    Customer service has been great and the app work fairly well
    I echo the long term contracts as its min 3 years but I'm on their highest tier plan and I'm paying $40 a month. They've been really good with replacing end of life hardware like my Smoke/CO detectors. Had a electronic deadbolt that shit the bed after 5 years and that was swapped hassle free

I've had vivint for like 8 years now, no issues whatsoever. Customer service and support is extremely professional, friendly, and knowledgeable, my overall experience has been great. Like Asian Defender says, replacing defective devices have been no issue for me either. Only item I've ever replaced was their door lock, other than that, everything has been working well for quite some time now.

The contract terms are long but you can also negotiate upgrades etc., with them. I'm currently paying $29.99 per month plus GST.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    changes every year

I've had vivint for a while. Same complaints, long terms and the door lock battery life is shit. Otherwise im paying 40 a month for everything you can get.

However I gotta figure that out since I have lkke 4 years left and I'm moving in a month lol

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I've had vivint for a while. Same complaints, long terms and the door lock battery life is shit. Otherwise im paying 40 a month for everything you can get.

However I gotta figure that out since I have lkke 4 years left and I'm moving in a month lol
    What they'll do is, they'll leave all your current hardware and try to get the new home owner a contract, and they'll install all your current equipment at your new place.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I am getting Telus instead of Vivint because I can lump it all into a multi service deal. Ends up being cheaper too.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    What they'll do is, they'll leave all your current hardware and try to get the new home owner a contract, and they'll install all your current equipment at your new place.
    That reminds me part of why I hate them. I moved into a house with a full suite of equipment, all fully paid for that the previous owners left. Vivint wouldn't give me the shit out of their ass for less than $73/month!!
    FfffUuuuuuuu!!!!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.