Quantcast
Job Market: BC or Ontario - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Job Market: BC or Ontario

Default Job Market: BC or Ontario

Currently employed in O&G with accounting and scheduling experience (10 plus years). Starting to think Alberta might not be the best place for employment and i'm thinking of a change of scenery Does anyone know what province would have more employment opportunities with my experience?

My Ride
    Harley Nightster

Was in the exact same scenario as you 3 years ago... flew to Toronto for 10 days, wasn't the biggest fan of it, then to Vancouver and ended up moving here.

Quite a bit of jobs in accounting and scheduling here. Mining sector for scheduling is a good spot to be in, accounting works with any industry here essentially. Just put a Vancouver address on your resume before applying.
    Last edited by KO22; 06-26-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Toronto did seem like a dirtier Calgary, would actually prefer BC for sure. What sites did you use to look for jobs?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by KO22 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just put a Vancouver address on your resume before applying.
    100% this. The anti-alberta bias is very real. You want to make it seem like you've left and wouldn't go back for a million dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Harley Nightster

Only one's I used were Indeed.ca and LinkedIn.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by KO22 View Post
    Was in the exact same scenario as you 3 years ago... flew to Toronto for 10 days, wasn't the biggest fan of it, then to Vancouver and ended up moving here.

Quite a bit of jobs in accounting and scheduling here. Mining sector for scheduling is a good spot to be in, accounting works with any industry here essentially. Just put a Vancouver address on your resume before applying.
    Try a 604 or 250 area code forwarding service (to your AB phone) as well. No point having a GVRD address when your phone is still 403.

Gotta like where you live and the 6 months of grey skies, high taxes, insane traffic (way worse than here, something like 5 calf robe bridge equivalents in GVRD) + cost of living, turned me off GVRD for good - however some people love that.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-26-2020 at 10:47 AM.

My Ride
    Audi

There is a fair amount of opportunity out here in Victoria, BC and I'm seeing a lot of Calgarians apply for jobs out here in Victoria. However having talked to a few of my friends in Calgary thinking about moving out here, I've had to tell a lot of people to calibrate expectations of of salary, and lifestyle. Err i mean wait, we're full. Don't come to the island.

There is a decent number of jobs in Toronto for experienced hires. But it does come down to industry and more specifically what you're looking for. Probably not a huge issue on the phone number for Ontario.

Looked into Vancouver a few years back and after getting a few offers, decided to stay in Calgary. There's always big demand for experienced hires in my field, but be ready to drop anywhere from 10-25% from your salary. Best I could do was 8% lower which I've been told is quite good??? Also budget to increase your housing expenses substantially. Renting a condo downtown Vancouver was double my mortgage in Calgary. Grass is always greener...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    Looked into Vancouver a few years back and after getting a few offers, decided to stay in Calgary. There's always big demand for experienced hires in my field, but be ready to drop anywhere from 10-25% from your salary. Best I could do was 8% lower which I've been told is quite good??? Also budget to increase your housing expenses substantially. Renting a condo downtown Vancouver was double my mortgage in Calgary. Grass is always greener...
    Both GVA and GTA cost more and makes less. Friend move to ON for as electrical engineer, makes 10% less and cost of living is $1000 more per month. So effectively, $35K less take home.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Slurp up the HST as well

My Ride

Between ICBC, price of gas, HST, renting/owing .... I have friends who make a lot more money (gross) than I do and live in the GVRD, renting a basement suite or an older, 1bdrm apt.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Why not just... not quit? I see wfh being a pretty easy thing to pull off moving forward after this year

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Interior of BC has a fair amount of jobs as well. Kelowna and Cranbrook / Castlegar area seems to have a fair number of job postings still. Additionally the Crowsnest Pass is starting to pick up with the new coal mines.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    Interior of BC has a fair amount of jobs as well. Kelowna and Cranbrook / Castlegar area seems to have a fair number of job postings still. Additionally the Crowsnest Pass is starting to pick up with the new coal mines.
    New coal mine in BC? Couldn't be....don't they know how horrible that is for CO2 emissions. Someone would tell Horgan.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Emissions only matter in Alberta.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

BC has a social license now to get away with expansion of coal operations? the fuck

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I thought Crowsnest coal was because Kenney removed a bunch of restrictions on the AB side, nothing to do with BC.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

One of the mines:http://www.rivresources.com/site/content/

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    New coal mine in BC? Couldn't be....don't they know how horrible that is for CO2 emissions. Someone would tell Horgan.
    I've only worked on the 2 in the CNP. Although I have heard there is a 3rd just over the border. The reason I know about that one is they tried to deal with us (although legally we couldn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I thought Crowsnest coal was because Kenney removed a bunch of restrictions on the AB side, nothing to do with BC.
    The mines were already started before the UCP were in, I've been on the project for a couple years and they already had a lot of money and time in. Yes it is in the crownest though.
    Cos...