Quantcast
Tattoo parlour tipping etiquette - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tattoo parlour tipping etiquette

Default Tattoo parlour tipping etiquette

Haven't gotten a tattoo in 20 years...what is the tipping etiquette in Calgary?

It's gonna be about $700 for 4 hours...and if it's good I definitely plan to go back to expand on it.

So what should I leave? Is the % range the same as in restaurants?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Of all the things she said this one has been running through my head, running through my head, running through my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Of all the things she said this one has been running through my head, running through my head, running through my head.
    Why did you post this?

My Ride
    This and that.

I've personally not really gone by percentage at Tattoo places. I feel that would be way too much - especially if you generally leave 20% at restaurants and you're getting a big piece. I've left anywhere from $20 - $70 depending on how much the overall cost was. $20 was on a very small and quick under $200 tattoo and $70 was on a larger outer half sleeve which was around $600'ish. Both artists were different and both were very appreciative of the extra moola from what I could tell.

Thanks....ya for a $700 bill for both me and my wife, and considering they've been closed for months, I'm fine with 20%, maybe I'll even leave a bit more if he does it faster.

My Ride
    dad van

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Why did you post this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mGBaXPlri8

It really isn't a percentage thing or a mandatory thing. If you are happy, toss the guy or girl $100... They will be stoked!

I've never had a tattoo before. Out of curiosity, what do the artists do beyond the normal scope of their job/work to earn tips? Seems odd that it would be mandatory for a tattoo when the bare minimum expected would be to get a quality tattoo of your choice safely and in the agreed upon time frame. Maybe if they helped you design it without charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I've never had a tattoo before. Out of curiosity, what do the artists do beyond the normal scope of their job/work to earn tips? Seems odd that it would be mandatory for a tattoo when the bare minimum expected would be to get a quality tattoo of your choice safely and in the agreed upon time frame. Maybe if they helped you design it without charge?
    Do you tip your barber? My barber has been cutting my hair for the last 10 years, I tip him every time. Does he do anything beyond the normal scope of his job, for me no, he knows what I want and does his job and does it well. No different than the tattoo artist that I go to for my ink, I go to them because they are IMO some of the best in the industry for the style I like and they do their jobs and do it well.

2 reasons:

-COVID had them out of business for months, I want to help
    -both the guy and shop were helpful and nice to us
    -I want to go back there for additional tattoos and need their help and most likely will have them draw up designs
    -I think a tip is deserved if they do it well and in a timely fashion...tattoos can come out shitty and take way more time than estimated

Tattoo artists are way more worthy of tips than someone who just brings me what I order off a menu from the kitchen with a smile. Hope I don't offend any servers here lol I did it for years myself...

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Us humans sometimes have traditions that aren’t 100% logical. You wouldn’t understand.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

do you tip your mechanic,plumber, Lawyer..it's a trade. Pay the bill. If xtra is done at no charge tip.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mechanics should get tips. But don't? Also, cancerman, I owe you a case of beer or two
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

Well I can tell you guys that lawyers don't get tips either. At least I haven't once in 7 years. Perhaps I am just not a good lawyer.

I try and tip anyone who is providing my a service and works under some form of strenuous conditions. It isn’t a rule of cost or anything, but in general I feel if the made excellent effort, I want to do a little extra for them. It isn’t because it is necessary, but more to make them feel like they are doing a good job and I appreciate the level of commitment. It help the next time because they remember and always want to show you they are worth it then.

And yes @Mitsu3000gt ... Tattooing is a hella stressful job. Even if I could do it, I wouldn’t. It is an incredibly intimate position to be in for hours on end with people whom you probably find irritating as fuck more often than not, on top trying to do you best, clean work possible knowing you are essentially marking someone for life, on top of the many hours you often put into their work in the planning, drawing and redrawing stages. That is why their fees are as high as they are because the actual time tattooing is often a lot less than what went into it in the first place, and then the shops often take 1/3rd to 1/2 of what you charge to let you work there to cover there costs of business. The artist really does not make gobs of money, especially earlier in their careers, so I do feel if you are stoked, letting them know financially is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Clever View Post
    Do you tip your barber? My barber has been cutting my hair for the last 10 years, I tip him every time. Does he do anything beyond the normal scope of his job, for me no, he knows what I want and does his job and does it well. No different than the tattoo artist that I go to for my ink, I go to them because they are IMO some of the best in the industry for the style I like and they do their jobs and do it well.
    I do yes. The place I go to uses cream and a straight razor on the neckline and a few other things out of the ordinary which is definitely beyond the normal scope of a typical inexpensive haircut, in my experience anyhow. It's pretty easy to tell when someone is trying to cut your hair in 5 mins and get you out ASAP or if they actually care about their work. The latter gets a generous tip every time. As I said, I have never had a tattoo so I was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Mechanics should get tips. But don't? Also, cancerman, I owe you a case of beer or two
    The jobs most deserving of tips are typically in areas of work that tipping is either not allowed, or is not customary. I find it interesting how backwards that is but it's the way it is haha.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I try and tip anyone who is providing my a service and works under some form of strenuous conditions. It isn’t a rule of cost or anything, but in general I feel if the made excellent effort, I want to do a little extra for them. It isn’t because it is necessary, but more to make them feel like they are doing a good job and I appreciate the level of commitment. It help the next time because they remember and always want to show you they are worth it then.

And yes @Mitsu3000gt ... Tattooing is a hella stressful job. Even if I could do it, I wouldn’t. It is an incredibly intimate position to be in for hours on end with people whom you probably find irritating as fuck more often than not, on top trying to do you best, clean work possible knowing you are essentially marking someone for life, on top of the many hours you often put into their work in the planning, drawing and redrawing stages. That is why their fees are as high as they are because the actual time tattooing is often a lot less than what went into it in the first place, and then the shops often take 1/3rd to 1/2 of what you charge to let you work there to cover there costs of business. The artist really does not make gobs of money, especially earlier in their careers, so I do feel if you are stoked, letting them know financially is a good thing!
    It was genuine question, so thanks for giving me an actual answer rather than a useless, smart-ass remark like the one above. That makes sense and I had no idea it was such a process or that the artist received a big haircut to the fee.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-30-2020 at 09:48 PM.

It was genuine question, so thanks for giving me an actual answer rather than a useless, smart-ass remark like the one above. That makes sense and I had no idea it was such a process or that the artist received a big haircut to the fee.
    I guess I could’ve articulated my reply better, I wrote that late at night so my bad, I was not trying to be a smart ass. Just like your barber, mine goes above and beyond for me and all of his other clients, and it feels like the norm now after 10 plus years. I feel taken care of and I appreciate the quality of service and work he does that’s why I don’t go any where else. Same with the artists that I get tattooed by, I appreciate that they care about their work and they make sure that we are both happy with the end result. Tirebob said it best, it’s not an easy job, they might make it look easy but it truly isn’t. So I go to the same tattoo artist because they go above and beyond to make sure that I am happy and that warrants a tip. As an aside, I believe @tirebob and I have been tattooed by the same guy, so if you want to get a traditional style tattoo, we know a guy.
    Last edited by Clever; 06-30-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Tipping with Tattoos is a weird one. All I can give is my own personal account. For a sleeve that was 38 hours, and a total of 6400$, I just gave him 500$ at the end. I figured 10% just seemed like too much. The guy is already taking home half of his 170$/hr rate, which was more money than I make. So I didn't feel too bad about what I left him. Although granted he rarely works an 8 hour day I imagine.

No sweat man! I figured it was a genuine request for info. Like anything, when you are not involved with something, how can one know the ins and outs of it?

I guess I could’ve articulated my reply better, I wrote that late at night so my bad, I was not trying to be a smart ass. Just like your barber, mine goes above and beyond for me and all of his other clients, and it feels like the norm now after 10 plus years. I feel taken care of and I appreciate the quality of service and work he does that’s why I don’t go any where else. Same with the artists that I get tattooed by, I appreciate that they care about their work and they make sure that we are both happy with the end result. Tirebob said it best, it’s not an easy job, they might make it look easy but it truly isn’t. So I go to the same tattoo artist because they go above and beyond to make sure that I am happy and that warrants a tip. As an aside, I believe @tirebob and I have been tattooed by the same guy, so if you want to get a traditional style tattoo, we know a guy.
    I am fortunate to have many good friends in the tattoo business so I probably have been tattooed by some of the same people! I am more a collector or artists these days rather than sticking to one specific artist. It is another hazard of being friends with everyone. You need work by them all! lol! Lately I have been fixated on getting traditional tebori tattooed by Doug Fink who owns Bushido. It is such an awesome tattoo experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Tipping with Tattoos is a weird one. All I can give is my own personal account. For a sleeve that was 38 hours, and a total of 6400$, I just gave him 500$ at the end. I figured 10% just seemed like too much. The guy is already taking home half of his 170$/hr rate, which was more money than I make. So I didn't feel too bad about what I left him. Although granted he rarely works an 8 hour day I imagine.
    That was a healthy tip! Nothing wrong with that. Like I said though, your artist isn't making half of $170/hr that you paid for tattoo time. His half (at $85 and hour of tattoo time) was broken down in further by probably double or even triple those hours with his design time, draw time, re-draw time, prep time, clean up time etc etc long before and even after your tattoo. That person was probably lucky to have made $25/$35 an hour once all that was factored in. Not minimum wage no doubt, but definitely not Beyond Baller living! Again though, if they are a highly respected and established artist, they may be getting a much bigger cut than 50% as like any industry, proven quality and maximum customer draw are worth more dollars.
    Last edited by tirebob; 07-01-2020 at 07:40 AM.

I was referring to blitz, not you All good. He reads very selectively to pick out whatever info fits his agenda.

I tip generously and often when it's warranted. I would rather give people who actually deserve it 20-25%+ than everyone 10-15% just for showing up to work. Same amount of money at the end of the day, just distributed much more fairly and to those who earn it rather than expect it.