Quantcast
Do People Actually Believe The World No Longer Needs Oil? - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Do People Actually Believe The World No Longer Needs Oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The OP asked "do people actually believe the world no longer NEEDS oil?". Humans can still survive with basic human NEEDS. Obviously impacted and obviously for a long time. Severity is again subjective and we cannot quite quantify the true figure. Majority (96%+) of people will still be alive with a shittier lifestyle. This number should be higher if Covid19 was not around. Natural illnesses and diseases will still be the main cause of death. Without oil we may have less travels, work less or do manual labor, change of diet/food (less junk food), etc. Which all in turn leads to healthier lives. Some people will be forced to do more manual labor (exercise?). Maybe there is a silver lining to this hypothetical scenario......

As for money, if 80% unemployment and locally grown food would not equate to inflation. If anything, this may stop inflation. Inflation is a whole other topic I do not want to get into right now lol.
    Majority of people would die as they do not have the skills to survive without going to a grocery store.
    So yes, no oil and gas would have a massive, massive impact.

As far as I'm concerned its just a matter of how they wish to transition (other than when)

Should oil be rolled back slowly and carefully, or more abrupt? Rip the bandaid off before the wound festers? Covid does present an opportunity to be abrupt, on assumption 5% of the USA (10+ million people) might be abnormally passing in the next two years or so.

Depends on so many factors, not the least of which is presidential leadership.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 07-03-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Silverado

If by abnormally dying, you mean killed by a virus created because China is a disgusting cesspool of disease and corruption then ya you got it.

Regardless of how it came to being: There is no doubt consumption will be slowed just for the fewer people to consume it. Will it also hurt productivity as there are fewer people to produce? I don't think it will outweigh.

I can imagine there will be a significant push to Universal Basic Income in many places other than the USA (because of current administration) How will it affect oil? No idea. But in general, China hates having to pay for intellectual property, and if they stop using oil entirely - they can stop paying the west for millions of patents that run off of it. USA always accuses China of stealing - so the obvious solution is to stop using USA technology, especially as it becomes obsolete and eventually inferior.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...0ME06A20150318

Microsoft Windows is legally free in China. It is not seen as "superior" in any sense of the word.

What the USA had going for it, was an incredible brainwashing media system (including Hollywood) and the Superbowl, that would tell you every year that USA beer was the best, and that the USA was #1 for everything (my entire childhood that all you would hear). And it worked for quite a while, but I think its pretty much over now.

USA has a shit ton of revenue from autos and oil machinery in general. Its about to end, which is a good thing - we need to progress, not regress.

PS: I'm pretty sure Chinese kids in China grow up hearing they are #1, but its no doubt a vastly inferior media brainwashing system - so its not *as* strong as US nationalism. As to who is actually better? I always say that the nation that has to impose a tariff to compete or stay alive is the inferior nation.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 07-03-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    ^ It's going to be a long time and trillions of dollars in spending until mining, smelting, shipping/freight, farming, and other energy-intensive activities are feasible through solar/wind - not to mention the land-use to provide adequate levels of electricity to support such industries/practices.
    Wrong. I trust the authorities in these matters and that's Swedish teenage girls.
    Flip a switch and done.
    #StolenFuture #TheHouseIsOnFire
    #SelectiveMutismMyAss

I dunno… Shipping will probably still be oil. But you do have to give credit to anything that can heat up half the globe from freezing to 20 Celsius in twelve hours. To do the equivalent that the sun does every day in raw BTU, would probably deplete the entire world remaining oil in a week (maybe month, depending on whos numbers you use)

Arguably, Calgary would not even be habitable at any level of oil consumption if the earth were 10% further away from the sun.

I mean, its fine if the USA wants to continue using oil. But to say that there are no alternatives is just plain Hollywood brainwashing.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 07-03-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The world burns roughly 100 million barrels of oil per day. Let's say 20% of that is irreplaceable plastic demand.

You dudes tell me what other energy source can supply the equivalent kilowatt-hours of 80 million barrels of oil per day. That's roughly 136 BILLION kilowatt hours every day.

Feel free to calculate how many solar panels that is. I can say it's too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

People tend to conveniently forget how much plastic is involved in their daily lives but what of our roads - here and in many parts of the world, all weather hard surface roads require products made from crude oil. Now I don't mind driving on gravel roads but realistically, asphalt is king and will be for a long time time in the future.

Plastic, I'm wearing it, I'm watching a TV made from it, I drive a vehicle with hundreds of pounds of plastic in it, my tools have a lot of plastic in them. Plastic is just a part of our world now and I don't see that changing any time soon.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The world burns roughly 100 million barrels of oil per day. Let's say 20% of that is irreplaceable plastic demand.

You dudes tell me what other energy source can supply the equivalent kilowatt-hours of 80 million barrels of oil per day. That's roughly 136 BILLION kilowatt hours every day.

Feel free to calculate how many solar panels that is. I can say it's too many.
    Hence my roid monkey bike riding video that OldYellerSpeedDog shit all over! Toast don't grow on trees.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Hence my roid monkey bike riding video that OldYellerSpeedDog shit all over! Toast don't grow on trees.
    You're still butt hurt about that?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    You're still butt hurt about that?
    Indeed. Cuts like a knife when an OG like yourself throws shade (such a dumb term).

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Indeed. Cuts like a knife when an OG like yourself throws shade (such a dumb term).
    I am by no means an OG here and would never consider myself such either.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post

I mean, its fine if the USA wants to continue using oil. But to say that there are no alternatives is just plain Hollywood brainwashing.

So what are these alternatives then? So far anything solar and wind is nothing more than a shift of where the carbon footprint lies in the cycle of the energy production. By all means if we could get battery tech to a point that it doesn't require oil to produce them any longer, and they can hold about a million times the energy they currently store, then sure we can start talking about solar as an alternative.................assuming of course we can figure out how make solar panels a million times more efficient as well. In the meantime I really don't understand why we aren't embracing nuclear tech? That is massive amount of foreseeable clean energy production, and it works based on current existing technology.

This stop drilling period will eventually back fire on the world and oil could spike to an insane $/bbl as it will an over demand and low supply for a period of time.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This stop drilling period will eventually back fire on the world and oil could spike to an insane $/bbl as it will an over demand and low supply for a period of time.
    That would inevitably push us to renewables even quicker. So it’s double edged.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    People tend to conveniently forget how much plastic is involved in their daily lives but what of our roads - here and in many parts of the world, all weather hard surface roads require products made from crude oil. Now I don't mind driving on gravel roads but realistically, asphalt is king and will be for a long time time in the future.
    Just use good ol' environmentally friendly concrete......wait

My Ride
    4x4

You guys are forgetting the hemp can make everything, diesel, plastic, yadda yadda yadda argument

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    You guys are forgetting the hemp can make everything, diesel, plastic, yadda yadda yadda argument
    Fuck, that's a good point. I forgot about that.
    I probably forgot because I'm just so amazed at how much infinitely better our lives have been each and every single day since it was legalized. It's just been so exactly as advertised.
    Do you remember when organized crime was a thing? It was waaay back before October, 2018. Me neither.
    Oh, and all these tax dollars that we are swimming in... Just amazing to think we used to live so poorly.

My Ride
    4x4

Sorry I get it every day on my Facebook.

Yes we have a massive surplus of agricultural land growing food, so let's convert most of that to hemp that'll work out.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post

Sorry I get it every day on my Facebook.

Yes we have a massive surplus of agricultural land growing food, so let's convert most of that to hemp that'll work out.
    We're already doing that with inedible corn though. You know, that totally environmentally friendly ethanol.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast