Quantcast
Help me find a not shitty sit/stand desk - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me find a not shitty sit/stand desk

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Help me find a not shitty sit/stand desk

I currently have an Ikea whateveritscalled manual sit/stand desk. I actually like it given its price, but as soon as I went from a single 34" to three, it has become "wobbly". The monitors shake when I type. This is because the desk is centrally supported. I am thinking need something with posts at all four corners.

Looking around is yielding mixed results. I don't mind spending to get the right desk.

Recommendations?

My Ride
    VAG products

Another manual sit/stand.. but I ordered this and have been happy with it. My fiance ordered a fancy electric powered sit/stand from primecables and had a table top made.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...ustomerReviews

^ sorry didn't realize it is out of stock

My Ride
    Exploded.

Get this:

https://www.teknion.com/ca/products/...8-ff05004460c4

It's what I have at work. No memory function though

My Ride
    95B

I bought esi Triumph LX from Coi and I have no complaints so far.
    https://www.esiergo.com/sp/triumph-lx-2-leg/

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Do you have the desk, more or less at the same height all the time? I went with a wall mounted desk and it worked out well.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

DIY.

Manual Desk Frame
    $10 Ikea table top lol/ (Substitute for whatever work surface you like)

Ongoing thread at RFD with all the different permutations and combinations of frames/tabletops/

Personally, I got this frame along with this table top for $460. I went with the dual motor because I wanted to mount my tower under it (used this, could get cheaper ones if your case isn't as wide as mine) and had wanted the larger desktop, could get away with a single motor if you get the 40x20" desk.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

We have these, love them:

http://workriteergo.com/sit-stand-desks/
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bought esi Triumph LX from Coi and I have no complaints so far.
    https://www.esiergo.com/sp/triumph-lx-2-leg/

Interesting...did you get the two or three stage model. Their marketing info is a bit confusing because they say the height range is 26.5" x 43.5" That's not ADA or BIFMA complaint. Then go on to say they can get down to 23". (That is) With some of these manufacturers you have to make sure are actually getting what they are selling. Lot's of bait and switch with height adjustable tables. I see that happen in tender competitions all the time.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I figured I would add to this thread instead of starting my own as I have a similar question.

Unlike OP I am curious what people recommend for electric standing desks as I have no desire to run a manual one. I was going to pick up the Ikea Bekant desk but all the reviews say the motors die or malfunction within the first month. I am looking for something that goes down to about 24/25 inches low and at least 45 inches high. Memory functions would be great but not necessary. My budget is around $600 so frame/legs + Ikea table top.

Most of what I have found so far only go as low as 28" or are American companies with ridiculous shipping to Canada.
    So far this is what I am leaning towards but I've never heard of the company before so I am not sure if the reviews are real or not: https://www.primecables.ca/p-359306-...bles#sku368513
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I figured I would add to this thread instead of starting my own as I have a similar question.

Unlike OP I am curious what people recommend for electric standing desks as I have no desire to run a manual one. I was going to pick up the Ikea Bekant desk but all the reviews say the motors die or malfunction within the first month. I am looking for something that goes down to about 24/25 inches low and at least 45 inches high. Memory functions would be great but not necessary. My budget is around $600 so frame/legs + Ikea table top.

Most of what I have found so far only go as low as 28" or are American companies with ridiculous shipping to Canada.
    So far this is what I am leaning towards but I've never heard of the company before so I am not sure if the reviews are real or not: https://www.primecables.ca/p-359306-...bles#sku368513
    That's the frame I have, works great. I think I have a post further up thread that has the tabletop and tower holder that I put on it. LMK if you have questions about it.
    Primecables is legit too, they're kinda like the Canadian Monoprice.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Ikea Idasen is the only choice at $600 price point.

I researched the shit out of sitstand desks for months (it's a fucking weird community with all types of scandals, lol) and the Idasen is what I chose PRIMARILY for these reasons:

- shake/wobble resistance at max height (typing and seeing your monitor shake is awful)
    - 10yr warranty
    - price
    - 50" max height

The only con for me is load capacity @ 175lbs, but that's a non-issue since it's monitor/peripherals/tower which is about 50lbs max. 50" is just tall enough for me @ 6'7

If you're baller, get this desk:

https://ergonofis.com/products/alive-sit-stand-desk
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride

The Ikea monitor shake is why I want to turf this desk. I hates it!

I also still haven't bought a desk. I filled out a form for an appointment request with a local company but never heard back and kind of forgot about it due to some family drama. But very much still wanting a new desk. Options for under $1.5k seems very sparse - lots of selection, not a lot of quality?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

@A790 did you look at what I suggested? We're happy (but I have no idea what they cost so maybe they're not in your budget). I can make my monitors shake.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Look at Structube for more budget orientated options. A friend has VertDesk and likes it a lot.

For quality look at Steelcase. Either Migration SE or if you want rock solid, the Ology.

I recently decided to make a really tough decision. Sold my nice stereo stuff to be able to purchase top of the line Steelcase office furniture. Viewing it as an investment in quality but also ergonomically I know it just works for me and is an investment in myself. Much like a mattress, office furniture isn't sexy but it's used a lot thought the day and the cost spread over hourly usage is miniscule.
    Last edited by msommers; 08-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    The Ikea monitor shake is why I want to turf this desk. I hates it!

I also still haven't bought a desk. I filled out a form for an appointment request with a local company but never heard back and kind of forgot about it due to some family drama. But very much still wanting a new desk. Options for under $1.5k seems very sparse - lots of selection, not a lot of quality?
    Could you use two separate sit/stand frames to stabilize it?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Could you use two separate sit/stand frames to stabilize it?
    Unfortunately not. I'm reaching back out to the dude I was in touch with.

try one of these and let me know how it works out.
    https://www.primecables.ca/c-18885-s...desk-solutions

Here is the one that I've been eyeing from Knoll - https://www.knoll.com/product/hipso-...ble-desk-30x57

Knoll typically caters towards commercial spaces with their office furniture, however they recently introduced the "Hipso" line which caters more towards the work from home crowd. These desks start at $595 USD which is significantly cheaper than their commercial "Pixel" line which start at around 2.8k USD. The Hipso line has multiple sizes, different colours, load capacity of 265 LBS and seems to be a reasonable offering for home use.

Kit Interior Objects is a local shop and deals with Knoll so good chance they will probably be able to get these in for anyone that's interested. Also, knoll has sales every few months where they knock the price down by 15% so might be worthwhile to wait for that if not in a rush and Kit also matches that promo as well.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Prime Cables dual motor frame + Ikea solid wood table top. Sand, stain, seal. Assemble. Takes a bit of work depending on the finish you're going for. Took me two weeks in my spare time to get the table top done.

Solid setup, no wobble. Under $500 if you get the base on sale (they go on sale often).

If you want a bigger write off, Uplift Desks are fantastic, and you can piece together your favorite setup.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by EmJay View Post
    Here is the one that I've been eyeing from Knoll - https://www.knoll.com/product/hipso-...ble-desk-30x57

Knoll typically caters towards commercial spaces with their office furniture, however they recently introduced the "Hipso" line which caters more towards the work from home crowd. These desks start at $595 USD which is significantly cheaper than their commercial "Pixel" line which start at around 2.8k USD. The Hipso line has multiple sizes, different colours, load capacity of 265 LBS and seems to be a reasonable offering for home use.

Kit Interior Objects is a local shop and deals with Knoll so good chance they will probably be able to get these in for anyone that's interested. Also, knoll has sales every few months where they knock the price down by 15% so might be worthwhile to wait for that if not in a rush and Kit also matches that promo as well.

Its cheaper because the internals are sourced from China and are only a single stage base. Their regular commercial line is not. It should have Linak internals. You get what you pay for. As for Kit interiors, they are a retail store.You would probably get better pricing going to Element which is the preferred commercial dealer.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast