Quantcast
Canvas paintings/ Local artists - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Canvas paintings/ Local artists

My Ride
    03' B6

Default Canvas paintings/ Local artists

Hey,

Can anybody recommend any great local canvas/abstract style artists? I'm looking to get an ~ 4ft x 4ft canvas painted on.

I've searched through a lot of websites online, but really haven't found something that has caught my eye and I would like to be able to see something in person.

I also haven't been to many art galleries in the city just because I don't have that much time, I don't know where to really look and I figured the paintings would be overpriced, but I could be wrong.

If anybody has any information on local artists or art galleries that arent' charging $3000+ for a painting that'll be great.

Thanks

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Ironic... I just finished an abstract last night!

My Ride
    03' B6

Do you have pictures of your work?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I don't try to sell a lot of it, and my latest stuff has been off and on in terms of frequency and style. But here's a few pics of previous works, just for the hell of it. I don't really have anything from the last 3-4 years on file...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

cool paintings breh

My Ride
    03' B6

Paintings look great man.

My Ride
    MB C63

My sister-in-law is an abstract painter. She isn't local but you can see her work at http://shwetart.wordpress.com/category/paintings/
    I can put you in touch with her if you find something you like.

There is a fairly new store on 14 ST and around 15 Ave SW called Planet Art that has big canvas paintings for $350. They were closed when I walked by but I peaked through the window and it looked like they had decent stuff. Definitely worth a look...

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Thanks for the reception guys. I've had a lot of people say I should sell my stuff, but a) I'm really critical of it and rarely feel it is good enough by my own standards to sell, and b) Prefer to ensure the walls of my house is filled with only my own stuff - so most of it sticks around. The only painting I actually tried really selling is the one of the naked chick. (It was huge; about 6ft long) That was my ex, and my gf at the time was none too keen about having her hanging above my bed. Wonder why? I only got $375 for it (from a Beyond member); it cost half that just in materials alone...

Here's pictures of the one I just finished. I needed a green theme for the accents in our bonus room. It looks small, but is at least 3 1/2 feet wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dude, those are awesome. I love the chick and memorial flyover ones.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Thanks bro! I loved that chick a long time too.

Anyway OP: I'm not truly trying to hijack your thread. If you like what you see, I'd be willing to discuss with you.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The middle of the 3 posted before the now this green one look great. I like that kind of abstract stuff...when I find some wall space I may have to check you out or that shop RY213 mentioned.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    03' B6

Hey Kloubek.. no problems at all.. it's good to see someone willing to share their artwork to the community.

What are the dimensions of your pieces (w/l/d)?

I would've thought there would be a lot more inputs on this topic, but I guess not..

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I've never really measured them before.

I'd say the latest green one, the multicolour spiral one, and the Calgary flyover one are all about 3.5X3 feet. Depth is kinda hard to say, and somewhat irrelevant, but the Calgary one, including frame, is about 3-4 inches deep. The other two are about an inch.

That chick one was awesome, since I used an old single bed frame as the canvas frame. It was somewhere around 3.5X5.75 ft, and some 5 inches deep. I almost wish I didn't sell it. And it paid hommage to the days I could attract models.

Anyway, if you want me to custom make something, it doesn't cost any extra.... then you get the size, colours, and style that work best for your application.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-18-2010 at 02:45 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I'm looking for someone to make me a showcase piece, about 3ft by 8ft (can be on separate canvass'). Looking to spend around $600. Can that be done?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

What do you mean by "showcase piece"?

That's a large piece for $600. The paint and canvases alone would cost upwards of $200. So really, you're looking for someone to make a huge painting for $400. It can be done, but will generally only be taken on by a starving artist....

Also interested in a custom piece - about 6ft by 3ft.

What would the costs be like for something like this?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by liquid1010
    Also interested in a custom piece - about 6ft by 3ft.

What would the costs be like for something like this?
    It's really hard to say. A lot of it depends on the kind of paints one wants the artist to use (metallics = more expensive, etc), what kind of canvas/substrate is used, and what kind of texture and details are desired.

You guys should go into Michaels and check out how much pre-stretched canvases and paints cost. For a big painting, it is for sure in the hundreds in total. That kinda helps some people appreciate the costs that go into making something on a larger scale. In particular, if someone wants a custom size (you generally can't find a pre-stretched canvas sized 6X3) either the artist needs to build and stretch their own frame, or get one custom made. The latter would cost hundreds by itself. The former brings up potential build quality control issues, unless the artist really knows what they are doing with building frames. You'd be surprised how much pressure a drying canvas will put on the mid-point of a frame!

Generally speaking, I probably wouldn't accept a larger comissioned work unless I'm paid in upwards of $800 or more. But then, I make ok money at my regular job. Get a starving student to do it, and you're going to find better deals. Places like art festivals in the park, etc are a good place to seek inexpensive work like that. Otherwise, you're looking to pay someone such as myself, or worse yet, pay gallery prices. Needless to say, that can get really steep; especially since some galleries only display the work of better-known artists and quickly get up to multiple thousands of dollars.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

I do custom artwork as well if you're interested. I've done small and large pieces. Have sold quite a few to fellow beyond members.

Most of my work can be seen here: http://extremesi.deviantart.com/gallery/

What Kloubek says is on the ball too. Big pieces cost a lot in materials alone. If you can find a prestretched canvas at an art store or Micheals you can see how much big canvas sizes cost and what the commonly found sizes are.

PM or email me: [email protected] if anyone wants to inquire further about getting artwork done.

Nice work Kloubek

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Just spent 20 minutes in your portfolio ExtremeSi. You have some stuff in there I like very much (in particular the ones where you clearly spent the time to make everything detailed and perfect). If it wasn't for a couple of shots with your bike and some self-portrait, I would have sworn you were asian!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast