Quantcast
School me on dirtbikes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: School me on dirtbikes

My Ride
    06 S2000

Default School me on dirtbikes

I've gotten wife approval to replace a project I wasn't touching with a dirtbike. I have no idea where to start. What do I need to know? I've been street riding for 8 years, I have no dirt gear, and I'm lost looking at a sea of used bikes.

My gut says something Honda/Yamaha/KTM, in the 250-450 range. Likely 4 stroke, but I mean....? My budget for the bike itself is $3000, and if that can't get me a decent starter, then I might be screwed.

Edit: for example, is this (terrible descripted ad) a good deal?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-m...008/1509820451
    Last edited by LilDrunkenSmurf; 07-03-2020 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Power wise, a 4 stroke 250cc is roughly equivalent to a 125cc 2 stroke and a 450cc 4 stroke is roughly equivalent to a 250cc 2 stroke. I used to race an RM125 around when the 4 stroke bikes were becoming very popular.

I'd get something Japanese, can't really go wrong with the relevant offerings from Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki. Easy to get parts, super reliable, etc. As for which is better, you can read reviews on the specific years you're considering but for the most part they are all fantastic and if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers as to which is the best. I always owned Suzuki's but I'm sure I would have been equally happy with the other 3-4 big brands.

For riding, you basically have Blackfoot Motosports park or you're driving out to McLean Creek, Waiparous, someone's ranch, etc. If you are riding on trails you will need lights and I think a licence plate. For what it's worth, I started out trail riding but found that all I ever wanted to do was find jumps and go over them repeatedly, so that is how I got into MX haha.

Obviously you need a truck or trailer, but they are so light you can pull the necessary trailer with basically any vehicle.

Personally I would never buy a heavily modded or bike that has been raced as it's probably had the shit beat out of it, but some guys like those because they are typically maintained well despite being rough and probably through many crashes.

If you've never ridden (this type of bike) before or have little experience, I'd suggest starting out with a 250cc 4 stroke. They still have plenty of power, they're easier to ride, you don't have to mix oil with gas every time, and you're less likely to get yourself into trouble. The 450's are quite a bit heavier (+~50lb) and have significantly more power. The 2 strokes are very "peaky" so you have to ride in a more narrow power band and they don't make much power in lower RPM ranges, but when the power hits it's kind of like a turbo haha. The 4 stroke bikes are typically a lot more forgiving with a much wider power band (probably what you're used to with your street bike), and they don't stink like burnt oil.

Routine maintenance is super easy if you're even slightly mechanically inclined, and for any major work there are plenty of shops in town willing to take your money. Any maintenance you can do with your street bike you can do with your dirt bike probably.

For gear, assuming you are buying this for Motorcross tracks (if you want to look the part), you need a helmet, goggles, gloves, pants, jersey, knee/shin guards, chest protector, and a nice set of boots. Some guys like to ride with a back support (kidney belt).

As for what is a good deal, I'll let someone else answer that because I've been out of the market for too long. The nice thing about dirt bikes is there are lots of good used samples out there and not a ton changes year-to-year so you can still get a very decent bike that is 5+ years old.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-03-2020 at 11:21 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I’ve been riding my whole life, so I’ll chime in.

What type of riding will you be doing? If it’s mostly trails like Waiparous and McLean creek, a motocross bike like the YZ is not what you really want. Look for a 250 4 stroke purpose built for off road, like a WR250F, CRF250X, etc.

If it’s track riding you’re after, that’s a different story.

My Ride
    *The First*

My friend will be selling his Kawasaki KDX 220-R before the end of summer because he's never using it.
    Maybe that's up your alley.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post

What type of riding will you be doing? If it’s mostly trails like Waiparous and McLean creek, a motocross bike like the YZ is not what you really want. Look for a 250 4 stroke purpose built for off road, like a WR250F, CRF250X, etc.

Definitely woods riding over MX.

Sounds like I want something closer to a WR/DRZ/TTR, something with inverted forks as well. 4-stroke, 250/450.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    My friend will be selling his Kawasaki KDX 220-R before the end of summer because he's never using it.
    Maybe that's up your alley.
    Great trail bike and great beginner 2 stroke bike
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post

X2. The CRFX is a great bike. Have a 450X and its been nothing short of bullet proof.

also, I ride near Moyie mostly and one of the guys we ride with has a RMZ450 and its a handful in the tight stuff. Best to get a woods/X bike if you plan to stay off the tracks.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

Agree with many people on here. Stay away from an MX bike, they are a handful in the bush. I still ride a KTM 144SX in the bush, and the amount of clutching and revving to the moon makes it much more difficult.

The more "bush friendly" XC, X etc bikes typically have a much heavier flywheel, and less aggressive tuning which really helps beginners. Often even less experienced riders will be faster on a track with a "Bush" Bike vs a full blown MX bike. Softer suspension is great and is setup for the masses (MX bikes are really tuned for large jumps etc).

In the what engine size, my vote is for a 250F. There is nothing that you will encounter that you will need more power than this. I dont care who is riding it, these new EFI 250s run so good, and rev so hard the amount of power they are making is insane.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    Agreed. I’ll never sell my 220 especially now that it’s got modern suspension. Bulletproof, and torquey like a 4 stroke.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Wanted to update, and ask a question. I picked up a cheap CRF-450R off Kijiji early this year. It's a handful, as you all warned me, but it was a cheap way to get into it. I've taken it to Wildrose, Waiporous, and Mclean (with Mclean being the most fun).
    I want to sell it, and get something with an electric start (aka, an actual trail bike). I can keep an eye on Kijiji, but a 2022 CRF-250F is only $5700 MSRP, which isn't bad, considering what I paid for the 450R. The 450 has a ton of grunt, and zero issues getting my fat ass anywhere, but I'm (only mildly) concerned a 250 w/ 26hp might struggle with my 240lb frame (plus gear).
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Wanted to update, and ask a question. I picked up a cheap CRF-450R off Kijiji early this year. It's a handful, as you all warned me, but it was a cheap way to get into it. I've taken it to Wildrose, Waiporous, and Mclean (with Mclean being the most fun).
    I want to sell it, and get something with an electric start (aka, an actual trail bike). I can keep an eye on Kijiji, but a 2022 CRF-250F is only $5700 MSRP, which isn't bad, considering what I paid for the 450R. The 450 has a ton of grunt, and zero issues getting my fat ass anywhere, but I'm (only mildly) concerned a 250 w/ 26hp might struggle with my 240lb frame (plus gear).
    Out of curiosity, what constitutes "cheap" for a bike like that?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Out of curiosity, what constitutes "cheap" for a bike like that?
    It was $2700 off Kijiji.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    It was $2700 off Kijiji.
    What year is it? I am completely uninformed on bikes but my son wants to ride, I bought him a little trailbike to learn on and he loves it and wants me to get one next year so I need to start understanding costs/issues to look for in used market, etc. I'm definitely a 4 stroke guy. Bike that size sounds fun to me (yes I ride motorcycles just not dirt-bikes). Thanks for the info.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Just wondering what you don't like about the CRF450R? I have both a 450R and a 450X each with heavy modifications and they are excellent trail weapons. If starting is poor, and your bikes valves/decomp are out of spec, an e-start is not going to help much.

Small things like a new rear tire can feel like riding a completely different bike.
    Last edited by e31; 08-30-2021 at 12:01 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    What year is it? I am completely uninformed on bikes but my son wants to ride, I bought him a little trailbike to learn on and he loves it and wants me to get one next year so I need to start understanding costs/issues to look for in used market, etc. I'm definitely a 4 stroke guy. Bike that size sounds fun to me (yes I ride motorcycles just not dirt-bikes). Thanks for the info.
    2005. It's honestly a great bike, someone invested a decent amount of money into modding it at some point, I just want some creature comforts, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post
    Just wondering what you don't like about the CRF450R? I have both a 450R and a 450X each with heavy modifications and they are excellent trail weapons. If starting is poor, and your bikes valves/decomp are out of spec, an e-start is not going to help much.

Small things like a new rear tire can feel like riding a completely different bike.
    Performance wise, there's nothing I really dislike about the 450R. It feels great, I'm comfortable on it. I'm just tired of stalling it, while already fatigued, and then trying to get my fatass into a position to get some good kickstarts. I seem to have around 2/3 the height on my kickstarts, that my buddy I ride with does, I just can't get my leg up high enough. Having e-start, integrated headlight/taillight, and maybe a kickstand, is really all I want. And I'm not going to retrofit any of that onto a 16 year old bike. Even if it's also heavily modified.

It feels a bit ghetto having a bicycle headlamp strapped to the front, and bicycle taillight drilled into the rear fender, just so it's legal on the trails.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    Interrupting to update on that KDX 220R which sold for a colossal $3,000+ a few months ago. Bike prices like CoVid. I don't think that bike would've been $1,800 in 2019.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

It would probably fetch that in a normal market, depending on the year. They really are great in the mountains. I put a KDX motor in a CR125 roller, was an awesome bike
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

It sounds like you came to the same conclusion I did. Riding double-digit hours makes those little things add up. I'd be worried a smaller bike would get tired out before you do.

Kickstand=Convenience, Rekluse clutch/E-start=Endurance, Power for aftermarket headlight=Safety.

Also, the X footpeg/kickstand will fit the R.
    Last edited by e31; 08-30-2021 at 11:10 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I can handle no kickstand, that's just a nice to have. There's usually lots of convenient tree's around. I heard about he rekluse clutch, but I'm so used to streetbikes, we'll see if I end up really going for it. But I feel like the e-start and the headlights/taillights are the small conveniences that I'd consider upgrading for. A buddy found a yzf450wr that looks great, but my wife would kill me if I bought a second dirtbike before selling the first.
    My car sounds like shit.