Quantcast
School me on being a Dad - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on being a Dad

Definitely buy the Britax seats. They weren't in Canada when our kids were born, got them a couple of years later and they were way better to use than what we had before.

We went full hippie with the second child for sleep. Laid down with her in her room until she fell asleep and then left.

Then one day when she was about two, she said "I don't need you anymore. Good night".

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I could write an essay on this subject but I am not going to. I have 2 daughters, 11 and 14. I am 42 and my wife just turned 40. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I can't add to all the advice given in this thread, it is top notch. Take lots of pictures and videos so you can go back and re live the awesomeness of them as babies, toddlers and growing up. Frig I am almost in tears posting this, thinking about all of my experiences over the years. Time flies my friend. Lots of hard times the first year for you but mostly for your wife. Amazingness awaits!
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    Car

Like everyone else said time flys by. Enjoy it. Routines helped our kids, but the third kid we handled things a lot different. 1st kid is like disinfect everything, 3rd kid you don’t worry as much on this. (Besides COVID obviously taking a new swing on this). Don’t get to hung up on trying to to do everything by the book, find what works for you and your family. We have two older boys and decided 5 years later to have a baby. She’s just about 2 now but I will tell you we did spend a little extra on thing like stroller and others after using cheap stufff for first two. There is a difference but as mentioned in here look for used. If you need anything specifically and are ok with 2nd hand I’m willing to pass some stuff along. We have one of those uppababy strollers and bassinet combo but not sure if i would be able to pry from wife’s hands before you want. Everyone else advice so far totally agree with. Embrace the stages and enjoy the sleep while you can haha
    Last edited by cars5431; 02-15-2021 at 08:56 PM.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Britax convertible car seat has been great for us.

Birth and babies was really good too, but they have changed how it works due to covid is what I have heard. But still a great support group for your wife if you guys get along with the other couples, we had an amazing group.

babybrezza Steam Sterilizer, if you can find a used one in good condition is worth it. Makes life so easy for cleaning and drying the bottles. A bottle warmer is good too, especially when its some time in the middle of the night and the newborn is screaming their face off for food. My wife pumped so it made it easy for me to feed the monster in the middle of the night, the easier it is to feed them at night, the better for your sanity.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they suck their thumb, try and nip that in the bud early as it's a hard habit to break.
    This was an $8500 miss for me. Paying for the braces now.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    I thought that was an old wives tale, and that thumb sucking doesn't actually fuck up kids' teeth?

On a somewhat related note for new dads, take away the soother early. We took it away around 4 months IIRC (whenever they start rolling over and sleep with arms outside the swaddle). They complain a bit, but get over it within a couple days. I see people on my social media that have to take the soother away when the kid is 1-2yo, and it's a battle.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I thought that was an old wives tale, and that thumb sucking doesn't actually fuck up kids' teeth?

On a somewhat related note for new dads, take away the soother early. We took it away around 4 months IIRC (whenever they start rolling over and sleep with arms outside the swaddle). They complain a bit, but get over it within a couple days. I see people on my social media that have to take the soother away when the kid is 1-2yo, and it's a battle.
    Nope - front teeth were significantly pushed outwards from it. She first had to have a 'habit breaker' which is a metal bridge between the teeth to stop thumb sucking and then braces later on.

My Ride
    *The First*

Do not set your kid on a counter in a Bumbo seat.

Birth and Babies courses are all virtual right now so I'm not sure how beneficial they would be, not being able to really interact with other couples.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I’m sure it’s been said, but postpartum depression.

Covid amplifies it, Keep an eye out for signs and changes in behaviour.

A lot of women change for life after children. The woman you married and dated might not be the same. Not trying to scare you, just stating.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We took a birth and babies from AHS virtually and it was really really terrible.

I guess it depends on how interested you are in paying money to listen to a group of extremely pregnant ladies and new moms complain about how rough their week has been for 50-75% of the class time (0 exaggeration btw, we started every class with how has your week been) to watch a 90’s PowerPoint delivered by someone who’s qualifications can be summarized by “I’ve had 5 kids” rather than any actual medical credentials for a couple hours a week for a couple months.

IMHO you would be far better off cracking a beer and watching a few YouTube videos instead.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-16-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post

A lot of women change for life after children. The woman you married and dated might not be the same. Not trying to scare you, just stating.
    Yeah keep and eye out for this. Minor for most people, but can be incredibly serious and life threatening. There's amazing resources for this, and if you need help, get it asap. "families matter Calgary" is who I'd call first.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post

Nope - front teeth were significantly pushed outwards from it. She first had to have a 'habit breaker' which is a metal bridge between the teeth to stop thumb sucking and then braces later on.
    Yup, first hand experience...luckily dental work for under-18s in the UK is provided by the NHS so my parents weren't out thousands for the extensive orthodontic work I had to have. I also apparently have a pretty severe tongue-tie which can contribute to it aswell. They diagnosed my son with it at the first visit to the Lactation consultant and it was fixed when he was like a week old.

My friends just had a daughter they diagnosed with a lip and cheek tie, she had it all lasered at 3 weeks old, but the bone of her top gum hadn't fully grown so she could have a slight cleft pallet - again, easy to reverse when they're newborns and will save extensive/expensive dental work later on.

The lactation consultant and baby chiropractor have been two invaluable resources for us. I'm not a believer in chiros, but I'd say she's more of a baby masseuse than a chiropractor in the adult sense, she doesn't crack baby at all, just massages and shows you different holds to stretch them for various scenarios

Also, the Once Upon A Child "thrift" stores....wife gets everything from there. They only take very good quality and clean stuff and have great sales on it too, we got the Basinest thing mentioned above and it was amazing!

Ugh, i haven't even considered that angle. Really need to get my 3 yr old son off it to avoid expensive braces in the future.

With my 1 yr old girl, we stopped her before it became a habit which was harder than people might think considering she watches her older brother do it all the time. We didn't let her get hooked to a soother either (she stopped taking it after 6 months) so definitely learned and applied the lesson from the first kiddo.

It's our own fault for taking advice from random internet parent forums when we googled about children sucking thumbs...the overwhelming consensus seemed to be to let them do it and they would grow out of it but it's much easier for everyone to just stop it early.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I am going to disagree with most beyonders here on the baby monitor suggestion. We tried a few of the expensive ones (on loan from friends in between kids) but always came back to the $40 wyze cams. Wyze cams were better video quality than 90% of what we tried and what other friends in my wife's birthing class use and you can access them from anywhere. If I am working on the road I am able to check in on them from my cell phone or if we are in the basement watching a movie we have an old cell phone we use as a monitor. We can talk back through it (to scare the shit out of my toddler so he naps) and the audio is great. We've had 1 crater in the 3 years its been set up so we replaced it for another $40. I believe @rage2 had a suggestion a few years ago about using an app with an old cellphone which is basically how we came across the wyze cams and we've never regretted it since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post

This is an excellent comment. Make a point of discussing PPD and PPA early in the pregnancy so it doesn't become a taboo subject. If you're with a midwife or even a doctor ask them about resources should momma go through that after baby is here. It all helps break down the stigma about recognizing there might be an issue and asking for help if she needs it. For our first we went as far as having a phone call with a therapist as a pseudo introduction should my wife need to talk to someone after. I don't think you necessarily need to go that far but talking about it before is key, then watch your wife closely after just to be sure she's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post

The lactation consultant and baby chiropractor have been two invaluable resources for us. I'm not a believer in chiros, but I'd say she's more of a baby masseuse than a chiropractor in the adult sense, she doesn't crack baby at all, just massages and shows you different holds to stretch them for various scenarios
    We have taken both kids to chiro with Dr. Lindsay Nealon since they were about a month old and I 100% agree with you that they are a valuable resource. Like you said they don't crack or do weird manipulations like they do for adults and its more of a massage/information session. She helped identify different developmental milestones and when our kids might not be grasping a certain skill quite yet she gave us stretches or activities to do that definitely helped. Plus when they get mobile and fall on their asses she helps make sure nothing gets jammed up. My wife also saw her throughout her second pregnancy which helped a lot with her hip/back pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I splurged on a Nanit camera. Maybe a bit overkill but the quality is great, we make use of the white noise machine built in every night, the night light is also nice built in all in a solid app with great background audio support.

We use the “breathing monitor” features built in which helps my wife sleep at night.

No ragrets.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

There is one piece of advise that i think is universal when looking at buying stuff. That is, to understand that this stuff is going to be almost worthless or sell for penny's on the dollar when the child grows out of them. Some stuff will hold a bit better value but for the most part, you lose BIG TIME.

Get hand me downs on clothes where you can. That's the biggest waste IMO as the kid grows SO FAST you are just buying and buying then you have to sell a giant garbage back of it for $20 just to not have to throw it out. Second hand equipment where you would also save big. The only thing i wouldn't buy used would be the car seat(s).

As for my recommendation, the number one piece of equipment we couldn't live without would have been the Baby Brezza. Think keurig for milk. We put it in the baby's room and make late night feedings super easy and quick.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    As for my recommendation, the number one piece of equipment we couldn't live without would have been the Baby Brezza. Think keurig for milk. We put it in the baby's room and make late night feedings super easy and quick.
    Same here. The few things we have no regret splurging on and would recommend (if you need it).

1) Baby Brezza Formula Pro - Keurig for formula. life changing
    2) Baby Brezza one step sterilizer
    3) Arlo Baby monitor - all the convenience of a webcam (cast to any TV and phone around the house) + built in night light and sound machine. It also works on internal battery for a few hours so we can move it around the house the odd times the baby fell asleep somewhere else.
    4) Snuggle Me - at first I thought my wife was crazy spending almost $200 on a pillow, but so worth it.
    5) Chicco keyfit 30 - it's so worth it to spend the money on an as light weight of an infant seat as possible. We didn't go with the Pipe lite because it can't stay flat on the ground by itself.
    6) Pack and Play for the living room - we ended up changing 90% of the diapers (when she was an infant) in the living room pack and play changing pad rather than in her room.
    7) Diaper pail - I don't know why anyone would decide not to get a proper diaper pail but it's such a no brainer purchase. We use the Ubbi and then get Glad odorshield trash bag for it.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 02-16-2021 at 06:15 PM.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Do not set your kid on a counter in a Bumbo seat.
    I'm sure this is an experience thing, and it always goes without saying that my suggestion was on the assumption they would not be left unattended and placement is key. I fail to see how its any different than a lobster chair. Keep stuff far enough away to not grab, and don't put them near an edge. I place mine on a big island. A little common sense is reasonable, no reason to bubble wrap
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

6 months in, so far so good.

only advice i can give is limit how much pop they get, we set that at 1 a day(usually diet too). and keep an eye on ipad usage, we avg about 4 hours per day (this doesn't include tv time).

Other wise have fun! take it all in, they grow up so fast.

Page 8 of 92 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast