Quantcast
School me on being a Dad - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 226

Thread: School me on being a Dad

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    X5-35i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Nothing to add beside confirming that those rear facing seats do take up ALOT of room and our solutionwas just to get a bigger car. We have the Dionos in all our cars and it just barely fits in the X5 and Cayenne without having to adjust the front seat forward.

    In my wife's old GLK the front seat had to be pushed all the way forward to that point that I could barely sit in it my myself and I'm only 5'10. We got another one to put into my inlaw's S550 and even that barely fit without having to really put the front seat back. I can't imagine the Diono in rear-facing form fitting in any cars like A4, Mazda3, etc... without completely sacrificing the front passenger seat.

    That said, the Diono is bulky but skinny. We were able to go on long road trips with 4 adults (2 front 2 back) + the car seat in the X5. I think it's designed so that you can have 3 across if you really wanted to.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 02-24-2021 at 09:40 AM.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ]Because of the studies surrounding it. I don't judge, everyone should raise their kids how they see fit. For us personally we decided that with the overwhelming evidence on the subject, that we were not going to sleep train. "Self Soothe" is the term people always use, but they don't really soothe per se. They just learn that if they cry, nobody comes. It's a good way to break a trust bond with the child right away, which is something that can be beneficial to have later in life when they need questions answered about sex, drugs, relationships, religion, etc. But it's not like sleep trained babies are growing up to be serial killers, so I'm sure it's not the end of the world, or maybe no big deal at all.

    It's a conversation I don't like having with people, because they tend to take it personally if they sleep trained. As a sleep deprived parent, I completely understand why someone would sleep train, and certainly have no judgement or malice towards them about what they chose to do.

    And Canada is weird. They are very against co-sleeping for reasons of potentially rolling on your baby and killing it or something? Meanwhile SIDS is WAY more common in babies that crib sleep. Japan exclusively co-sleeps and has the lowest SIDS in the world last I read.
    This is pretty much my wife and mine's train of thought. My parents were FOB and poor as hell so i co-slept with my mom and brother in a big bed until probably around 3 or 4 years old while dad slept in another bed. Wife was similar growing up in Lebanon so that probably influenced us too.

    Definitely a lot of crankyness due to sleep deprivation the first 8 months or so doing it this way but it gets better. Son is now 3.5 and he mostly sleeps through the night in his own bed but if he wakes up from a nightmare and comes into our bed we just let it happen, not a big deal. Our daughter sleeps from 8-6AM and again if she happens to wake up screaming from teething or something one of us will go get her and let her finish the night in our bed between us.

    Sleep training for sure sounds like a dream and i applaud parents that can do it, but it doesn't mean you failed if you take a different approach. Just do whatever works and always keep it in the back of your mind it gets better.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,147
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    I used this guy for rear facing infant seat back in the day.

    https://ca.pegperego.com/baby/primo-viaggio-4-35

    Was the smallest one I found. Fit nicely in the back of both the C63 BS and RC-F. It removes easily to carry the baby around.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Family Hauler
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have an NX which is the usual baby hauler. I imagine similar to IS but maybe a bit bigger?

    Iím not that tall and I definitely couldnít open the glove compartment but itís ďfineĒ.
    Yea those NX's look pretty small... akin to a Q3 inside id imagine. I bet an RX350 wouldn't have the same issues. List the NX for sale with your truck, package deal. RX350 and.... new C63 incoming i imagine for you!

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Imports
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe lucky, or maybe just way overfeeding with formula before bedtime? A lot of parents do the overfeeding on purpose to make the kid sleep. But a bottle makes it very easy to overfeed accidentally since they flow so fast. Everyone does what they have to for their sanity. I've learned to live with completely broken sleep the last 8 months, if he goes a 5 hour stretch it's heaven
    Nope, he's breast and supplemented with formula for lunch usually. Basically as soon as we got his tongue tie fixed he's been a dream, with the exception of him already having 6 teeth through before he was 6 months!

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We used the angle adjuster on our Diono with rear facing and it definitely helped a bit, but even then it was still always relatively uncomfortable sitting in the front passenger seat (Q5). Ultimately we just lived with it and at about 11 months switched it to front facing. I know the recommendation is to leave it rear facing first two years and 'mandatory' for 1st year but our kids were pretty big around 11 months so we just did it.
    Our Safety1st didn't even fit in the Ecosport, which was annoying as the back seats seemed huge for such a small car when we first got it...which i'm thinking was mostly due to the roof height rather than the legroom

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can basically confirm that a Yukon XL fixes the issue haha, but seems like a ridiculous solution to the problem
    And this, Expedition Max worked for us nicely, and with 2 dogs soon to be 150lbs each, the extra trunk space will be nice

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,875
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea those NX's look pretty small... akin to a Q3 inside id imagine. I bet an RX350 wouldn't have the same issues. List the NX for sale with your truck, package deal. RX350 and.... new C63 incoming i imagine for you!
    Despite the RX350 being (appearing?) quite a bit bigger than the NX, the actual increase in interior and cargo space is marginal. NX is quite a bit bigger inside than the Q3 IIRC.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    There is now a long RX350-L.
    OmG stop getting me triggered on the Diono car seats! They are heavy enough to impact the tidal waters in the Atlantic.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 02-24-2021 at 11:59 AM. Reason: NOW rather than "not"

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,268
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea those NX's look pretty small... akin to a Q3 inside id imagine. I bet an RX350 wouldn't have the same issues. List the NX for sale with your truck, package deal. RX350 and.... new C63 incoming i imagine for you!
    We actually really like the NX for all its flaws. Might even keep it after the cheap lease is up.

    I haven’t decided if I am buying a new car yet. Need to figure out if I can sometimes fit the baby seat in the back of something I actually want
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    111R, DC2R, 957
    Posts
    2,102
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In for smaller car seat recommendations. This is one of the main reasons why we got the RDX rather then a Tacoma. Apparently these rear facing seats are just fucking massive. But we also need something that fits in the Fit.
    We used the Pipa in a rear facing configuration for my daugther and we were mainly using my wifes 2013 Fit. We managed to squeeze in everything and have enough room for my wife (5'6") be able to sit in the front passenger seat. No way I could fit however haha.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,875
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We actually really like the NX for all its flaws. Might even keep it after the cheap lease is up.

    I haven’t decided if I am buying a new car yet. Need to figure out if I can sometimes fit the baby seat in the back of something I actually want
    Buy a car2go AMG like I did. It is so much fun, and works for families/carseats.. definitely more than enough while you only have one kid. I'm sure @rage2 and @Buster would endorse as well.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CGY
    My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour
    Posts
    1,217
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used this guy for rear facing infant seat back in the day.

    https://ca.pegperego.com/baby/primo-viaggio-4-35

    Was the smallest one I found. Fit nicely in the back of both the C63 BS and RC-F. It removes easily to carry the baby around.
    Same - this worked for us in both our MINI and 3-series at the time.

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,147
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same - this worked for us in both our MINI and 3-series at the time.
    Forgot to add, get multiple bases. Worth every dollar.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,147
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Buy a car2go AMG like I did. It is so much fun, and works for families/carseats.. definitely more than enough while you only have one kid. I'm sure @rage2 and @Buster would endorse as well.
    Yup. Family of 5, camping trip, roof rack. Unbelievable how well that car works. Just wished it wasn't so damn laggy haha.

    Have to go bling and get the AMG seats or you lose 1-2 inches of rear knee room.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Imports
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I friggin love the A Class AMG, but the wife wouldn't let us buy something so "low and car like"

    I had to get a B-Class in the UK cos the ML was a pig to road tax and fuel and the C-Class was too "low and car like"

    "Happy wife, happy life, boring car"

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We actually really like the NX for all its flaws. Might even keep it after the cheap lease is up.

    I haven’t decided if I am buying a new car yet. Need to figure out if I can sometimes fit the baby seat in the back of something I actually want
    Other than horridly garbage bluetooth in the Lexus', I love the NX. Still considering getting one when we are done with the Merc. Because the NX has that adjustable bench seat in the back, I think it actually has a lot better rear leg room than say the Audi Q3/5 or GLK, etc.

    Just to stay on topic of baby stuff. I hear everyone talk about the Diono as the cadilac of car seats. But if you ever have to have multiple car seats at once, the Clek is the narrowest on the market from what I read. We went with the Clek Foonf because it provides the most room in the car. Plus it is Canadian company which is nice. Because of our kids weight currently, it is supposed to be at its greatest incline position, which still gives us more front seat room than the UppaBaby infant seat we had. But once he is a little heavier, we can lean the car seat farther forward(toward the rear since it is rear facing for now), and it will free up even more room in the front seat.

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    F150, Tiguan R, Triumph Tiger XRT
    Posts
    926
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because of the studies surrounding it. I don't judge, everyone should raise their kids how they see fit. For us personally we decided that with the overwhelming evidence on the subject, that we were not going to sleep train. "Self Soothe" is the term people always use, but they don't really soothe per se. They just learn that if they cry, nobody comes. It's a good way to break a trust bond with the child right away, which is something that can be beneficial to have later in life when they need questions answered about sex, drugs, relationships, religion, etc. But it's not like sleep trained babies are growing up to be serial killers, so I'm sure it's not the end of the world, or maybe no big deal at all.

    It's a conversation I don't like having with people, because they tend to take it personally if they sleep trained. As a sleep deprived parent, I completely understand why someone would sleep train, and certainly have no judgement or malice towards them about what they chose to do.

    And Canada is weird. They are very against co-sleeping for reasons of potentially rolling on your baby and killing it or something? Meanwhile SIDS is WAY more common in babies that crib sleep. Japan exclusively co-sleeps and has the lowest SIDS in the world last I read.
    I'm not going to judge you if you chose to do that because it worked for you, if your kid didn't sleep comfortably on his own, or didn't settle, or whatever, but don't frame it as its detrimental to the kids who sleep trained with no issue, that's why people take it personally. I don't sit here and say your kid is going to become snowflake soft because you coddled him to sleep, so why would you say my kid is going to have trust issues? This is the problem with the non sleep training group, they claim some bizarre thing about maladjusted kids because of detachment syndromes because they sleep in their own bed? I'm sure the evidence is well supported in some helicopter parent groups, where the groupthink is the same. My kid, at 5 months, knows when its bedtime, get read a story, listens to some lullabies, get heavy eyes and blinks, gets placed in his crib BEFORE he is asleep so he doesn't wake up confused and feeling abandoned because he knows he was there before he fell asleep, and sleeps fine through the night. He's happy as shit all day long, plays, trusts, eats, learns, etc. This took no time, and virtually no effort, with no cruelty, no "letting him cry endlessly until he figures it out".

    I'd love to see these "studies" you're referencing. Allow me to do some of the work for you

    https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...37/6/e20151486

    https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...tent/130/4/643
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,899
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    All I know is that everyone you talk to did it the right way, and "knows" that other ways will be worse in some major way. Fuck that attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't disagree.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    F150, Tiguan R, Triumph Tiger XRT
    Posts
    926
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I know is that everyone you talk to did it the right way, and "knows" that other ways will be worse in some major way. Fuck that attitude.
    That's all I'm saying. If my friends don't want to sleep train, great! Don't! But don't come up with a bunch of fake later in life findings to make it seem like you're doing your kid a favor, that in turn are a backhanded jab at those that sleep trained. Your teens trust in you is more a product of their experiences from parenting and guidance in their more mentally conscious years than at a few months of age laying in their crib. This works for me because I like sleep too
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    X5-35i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other than horridly garbage bluetooth in the Lexus', I love the NX. Still considering getting one when we are done with the Merc. Because the NX has that adjustable bench seat in the back, I think it actually has a lot better rear leg room than say the Audi Q3/5 or GLK, etc.

    Just to stay on topic of baby stuff. I hear everyone talk about the Diono as the cadilac of car seats. But if you ever have to have multiple car seats at once, the Clek is the narrowest on the market from what I read. We went with the Clek Foonf because it provides the most room in the car. Plus it is Canadian company which is nice. Because of our kids weight currently, it is supposed to be at its greatest incline position, which still gives us more front seat room than the UppaBaby infant seat we had. But once he is a little heavier, we can lean the car seat farther forward(toward the rear since it is rear facing for now), and it will free up even more room in the front seat.
    My parents had a '16 NX and that touch-pad infotainment alone is a complete deal breaker for me. It doe shave more room in the old GLK but less room than the new GLC. All said, it's a good car for the price. They got the F sport Series 3 with pre-paid maintenance and extended warranty for <$60K. That seems like good value.

    I didn't think Diono is consider higher end is it? or maybe it's because we got all of ours onsale for 30-50% off, including one when from katz kidz when they were closing. I originally wanted the Clek Foonf but wife doens't want to spend that much on it... then she wanted the Uppababy Knox and i definitly dont want to spend that much. So Diono at ~ $250 seemed like a great deal

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Diono is considered "higher end" and I do believe they are also a Canadian company.
    I hated mine but was pleased to get a great price for it when I sold it.

    *In before some Aspen shit-dick rattles off 5 car seats that cost more. I didn't say it was a custom Rolls Royce.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. One Dadís Twitter Photo Essay on His Daughterís Perilous Walk to School

    By speedog in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 32
    Latest Threads: 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM
  2. Kitchener dad arrested at school after daughter draws picture of gun

    By Tik-Tok in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 02-26-2012, 05:13 AM
  3. Rich Dad Poor Dad

    By Mys73ri0 in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 59
    Latest Threads: 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 09-23-2009, 07:41 AM
  5. Input Survey for School Naming - New West Calgary High School

    By urban.one in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 05-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •