School me on being a Dad - Page 69 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 69 of 92 FirstFirst ... 59 68 69 70 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1831

Thread: School me on being a Dad

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea we too initially thought maybe he isn't getting enough food, but that's clearly not the case cause when we do give him more, he is obviously gassy and in noticeable discomfort because of being over fed. Paediatrician told us we were overfeeding him when we moved up to 5 oz per sitting so we went back to 4 oz.

We definitely think that resulted in him getting colicky and acid reflux. We tried Enfamil Premium A+ ready to feed initially and when issues were persisting, shifted to hypoallergenic formula for a week and some (it smelt gross and didn't seem to make a difference so didn't continue). And then now he's been on Enfamil lactose free one for about a month and initially we thought it was a bit better, but not so much. This week he will probably finish all of that, so starting next we want to go back 'regular' formula and none of this lactose free/hypoallergenic shit cause it doesn't seem to be making a massive difference and we don't want him to never have the ability to have regular shit so I bought a bunch of Similac ready to feed but regular kind to start him on. Hopefully at 3 months plus now his digestive system is a bit better developed and can start digesting the enzymes and what not of regular formula.
    did you try the gentlease enfamil? (purple container) only thing that worked for baby 2 for us. My wife wasn't a huge mil producer so instead of stressing and pumping and taking milk pills she said fuck it and went to formula pretty quick both kids. It was harder kid 1 for her, she felt bad, but who gives a fuck they're both monsters now and seem pretty smart(no idea where that is from lol) so it didn't stunt anything.

My Ride
    This and that.

Yes tried gentlease as well. Same thing. Farts, gassiness, uncomfortable, bloated stomach etc.

Honestly, I don't give 2 shits about breast milk vs formula milk. You gotta do whatever works for you. I wasn't breast fed myself since my mom had complications and was in a hospital for an extended period after my birth and I am just fine (I think). So I am not worried about it even though my wife felt mom guilt big time. She still did it for a month and that's good enough and at the end of the day you gotta do what works best for you.

We were always on the fence about only having one kid and the way this guy has been, I think he has sealed the deal in that department. I was open to the possibility of the second one but don't think my wife is ever going to change her mind after this experience. Haha.

I'll double down.

Have you taken baby to a chiropractor?

My Ride
    This and that.

So we made an appointment twice, until I spoke to a family friend who's a family dr. and he said he had never heard of Chiro's for baby's and he freaked us out. So now we have a call in at the paediatrician's office to ask them if it would be okay and then we will re-book.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

8 weeks 2 days pregnant, babys heart beat is 158bpm i guess healthy is between 140-170. Our first one i remember the ultrasound tech telling us it was 122bpm which i thought was high then. Fingers crossed all keeps going well. End of May beginning of June expecting.

So we made an appointment twice, until I spoke to a family friend who's a family dr. and he said he had never heard of Chiro's for baby's and he freaked us out. So now we have a call in at the paediatrician's office to ask them if it would be okay and then we will re-book.
    Understandable.
    Small rant, The lack of awareness of total body systems that North American MDs have is crazy.
    Pills pills pills!
    I love North American medicine, but the resistance for people to seek alternative advice is also astounding. Chiro's, naturopath's and chinese medicine all have their place.

Anyway, our 3.5 year old has been having terrible sleep for WEEKS and complaining about a sore leg.
    We took him to a chiro, and his hip was out of alignment. Long story short, he's been sleeping very well for 2 weeks and no leg pain.

Go see Dr. Melanie Beingessner at Blessingways in Airdire.
    https://www.blessingways.ca/dr-melanie-beingessner-bio

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    First ultrasound this AM. Feeling nervous as hell. Were both excited but scared given prior misscarriage. Just praying things go well past the first trimester this time and going forward.
    Good luck! We had terrible PTSD at every ultrasound because of a prior miscarriage. Every single one, all the way up to 38 weeks, we were mentally expecting the worst. We also had additional issues, so we did ultrasounds literally every 2 weeks until the kid was born.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Have you tried swaddling? We had great success with that.
    I maintain ours has a love/hate relationship with swaddling, she sleeps longer, but she sits there and fights it for 30 mins. You literally hear her grunt trying to get out of it until she settles down.

Yea we too initially thought maybe he isn't getting enough food, but that's clearly not the case cause when we do give him more, he is obviously gassy and in noticeable discomfort because of being over fed. Paediatrician told us we were overfeeding him when we moved up to 5 oz per sitting so we went back to 4 oz.

We definitely think that resulted in him getting colicky and acid reflux. We tried Enfamil Premium A+ ready to feed initially and when issues were persisting, shifted to hypoallergenic formula for a week and some (it smelt gross and didn't seem to make a difference so didn't continue). And then now he's been on Enfamil lactose free one for about a month and initially we thought it was a bit better, but not so much. This week he will probably finish all of that, so starting next we want to go back 'regular' formula and none of this lactose free/hypoallergenic shit cause it doesn't seem to be making a massive difference and we don't want him to never have the ability to have regular shit so I bought a bunch of Similac ready to feed but regular kind to start him on. Hopefully at 3 months plus now his digestive system is a bit better developed and can start digesting the enzymes and what not of regular formula.
    Babies are all over the map in terms of feedings. It's not a hard fast rule. Ours will scream sometimes until she gets an extra 10ml of formula to top her off, and other times, she'll down 2oz like it's nothing and not even be fussy. For bloating/gassiness, I've been rubbing her tummy in circular motions, and it really helps. She lets it all out (screams while doing it), then completely chills the fuck out.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I'll double down.

Have you taken baby to a chiropractor?
    Good suggestion here, we took our baby to chiro and physio because her neck was ultra tight (torticullus) from delivery

- - - Updated - - -

The baby Chiro's don't rip on babies like they do on adults. It's 100x a more gentle 'manipulation' if you can even call it that. We are super glad we saw one
    Last edited by riander5; 10-19-2023 at 01:08 PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    .... Chiro's, naturopath's and chinese medicine all have their place...
    Chiro's certainly have their place. Just 3-4 times per week until the end of time.

*Unless you go broke, or die or get fed up and quit after only 6 months of treatment without improvement...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I know Chiros have a bad rep, but there are good ones out there, who don't put you on a permanent cycle of repeat visits for life. At the very least, chiros in Canada have some reasonable level of training, unlike the USA, where it's pretty much the wild west.
    I have no input on chiro for babies, or any other care for babies. Babies are gross, I need to get out of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    VAG products

We go here for physio now:
    https://peakhealthcalgary.com/peak-kids/

And went here really early on:
    https://ellipsetherapy.com/about/

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Chiro's certainly have their place. Just 3-4 times per week until the end of time.

*Unless you go broke, or die or get fed up and quit after only 6 months of treatment without improvement...
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, you guys need to find better Chiro's and let go of the dogma around them. If you are feeling like shit and go to them every week and never feel better, you're both to blame.

My Chiro is awesome, if I'm hurt, I go, she dry needles the shit out of my muscles, does some active release, maybe an adjustment or two, and I feel better.

The Chiro our kid saw did gentle stretching of her next and back muscles that were torqued up from a less than ideal delivery. Not once did she ever suggest we see her until the end of time. We used her in conjunction with baby physio and our little gal is right as rain.

Look up torticullus and sternocleidomastoid tumor of infancy. Ours had both and im thankful every day the pro's helped us with it.

In fairness, depending on your issue and how long its been affecting you, your muscles have adapted to the misalignment and will take some time to adjust.
    IF you're not actively stretching, being active etc, then yes you will need to see a chiro in perpetuity.

I usually see mine for 4-5 sessions, call it good and see her next time an issue pops up.

My Ride
    This and that.

We are in Edmonton and have researched a Chiro that seems good and seems to have experience with baby's. I just thought I'd wait for the dr. to give us a clear before we actually go and was quite surprised to hear from the friend dr. that he had never even heard of Chiro's for baby's. lol. We are willing to try anything and everything at this point regardless of the cost, but certainly don't want to do something that could be more harmful than good for the baby (not saying Chiro will be). So yea chiro is definitely on the list, just hoping for some sort of a 'go ahead' or 'it's okay' from a medical professional.

I hear what you are saying, but Chiro's are deemed medical professionals in North America...

If what you're saying is you are waiting for your "Doctor friend" to give the go ahead then have at er.

My Ride
    This and that.

I know what you mean. I have family friends that are chiro as well and they call themselves 'dr.' Haha. I meant more so our baby's paediatrician saying it's okay to go ahead and try.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V167

I'll save you the time of waiting for pediatrician.

Evidence supporting use of chiropractic manipulation as a treatment modality for any condition in infants (and adults for that matter) is poor and limited.

My Ride
    This and that.

^See that's the issue. You got actual dr.'s saying this shit, and then anecdotal evidence/reports say the opposite so which one you go with. It doesn't help that all my immediate family are dr.'s (actual ones) and I am inclined to follow their advice, but at the same time hard to ignore what a lot of other people say how chiros were such a big help with their fussy babies/infants.

I know they don't do any adjustments or manipulations on babies (it's what this Chiro's site says) and it's mostly just massages and shit, but it is scary the damage it can cause if it's not done right on a such a small baby. That's my only fear otherwise I am totally willing to give anyting including a chiro a go at this point to see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    I'll save you the time of waiting for pediatrician.

Evidence supporting use of chiropractic manipulation as a treatment modality for any condition in infants (and adults for that matter) is poor and limited.
    I'll never challenge someone much more educated than myself, but there is an entire section of google with peer reviewed studies.

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl...q=Infant+chiro

Do it, don't do it, your choice.

Page 69 of 92 FirstFirst ... 59 68 69 70 79 ... LastLast