Quantcast
School me on being a Dad - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 535

Thread: School me on being a Dad

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,007
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    I got both my Dionos for under 275 each. One at toys r us when they had a wicked sale, and the other at kacz kids when they closed down. So I guess that’s a parenting tip - keep an eye out for sales while you’re still using the newborn seats during first 6 months or so, then buy ASAP if you see a good deal on a higher end convertible.

    Edit: well look at that, one of the models is on sale now at toys r us for $280. This is one of the better ones too with the head support
    https://www.babiesrus.ca/en/Diono-ra.../8C113808.html
    Last edited by sabad66; 02-25-2021 at 08:47 PM.

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    461
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not going to judge you if you chose to do that because it worked for you, if your kid didn't sleep comfortably on his own, or didn't settle, or whatever, but don't frame it as its detrimental to the kids who sleep trained with no issue, that's why people take it personally. I don't sit here and say your kid is going to become snowflake soft because you coddled him to sleep, so why would you say my kid is going to have trust issues? This is the problem with the non sleep training group, they claim some bizarre thing about maladjusted kids because of detachment syndromes because they sleep in their own bed? I'm sure the evidence is well supported in some helicopter parent groups, where the groupthink is the same. My kid, at 5 months, knows when its bedtime, get read a story, listens to some lullabies, get heavy eyes and blinks, gets placed in his crib BEFORE he is asleep so he doesn't wake up confused and feeling abandoned because he knows he was there before he fell asleep, and sleeps fine through the night. He's happy as shit all day long, plays, trusts, eats, learns, etc. This took no time, and virtually no effort, with no cruelty, no "letting him cry endlessly until he figures it out".

    I'd love to see these "studies" you're referencing. Allow me to do some of the work for you

    https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...37/6/e20151486

    https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...tent/130/4/643
    I didn't frame it any certain way. Someone asked(rather rudely too, insinuating you're stupid if you don't sleep train), and I responded with why someone might choose not to. I was even very clear about the fact that both ways are fine, and tried to be as straight forward as I could that it wasn't from a judgemental place. But I see you've chosen to be offended by it regardless. I'm sure whatever you do to raise your kid will be just fine, so stay focused on that and don't worry about anything else. Good luck.



    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I know is that everyone you talk to did it the right way, and "knows" that other ways will be worse in some major way. Fuck that attitude.
    Pretty much this. As witnessed above.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My parents had a '16 NX and that touch-pad infotainment alone is a complete deal breaker for me. It doe shave more room in the old GLK but less room than the new GLC. All said, it's a good car for the price. They got the F sport Series 3 with pre-paid maintenance and extended warranty for <$60K. That seems like good value.

    I didn't think Diono is consider higher end is it? or maybe it's because we got all of ours onsale for 30-50% off, including one when from katz kidz when they were closing. I originally wanted the Clek Foonf but wife doens't want to spend that much on it... then she wanted the Uppababy Knox and i definitly dont want to spend that much. So Diono at ~ $250 seemed like a great deal
    I thought those Diono's were up there price wise like the clek and uppababy? Like 600$ range. We just saw how big they are and it was no way we could go that route.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    F150, Tiguan R, Triumph Tiger XRT
    Posts
    963
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't frame it any certain way. Someone asked(rather rudely too, insinuating you're stupid if you don't sleep train), and I responded with why someone might choose not to. I was even very clear about the fact that both ways are fine, and tried to be as straight forward as I could that it wasn't from a judgemental place. But I see you've chosen to be offended by it regardless. I'm sure whatever you do to raise your kid will be just fine, so stay focused on that and don't worry about anything else. Good luck.





    Pretty much this. As witnessed above.
    Still waiting for your studies. You said you had some
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,952
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    i think there is a separate thread somewhere for arguing about whether pop ruins your kids
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,727
    Rep Power
    86

    Default

    Which sleep training camp makes you want to put your infant on the kitchen counter?
    Pro or Anti?

    Does one of those make you tell stories to First Aid classes?
    I bet it does...

    *Asking for @SKR

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,878
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    you forgot #sorrynotsorry
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,952
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Figured I’d rather not start a new thread….

    Anyone have any insights on different “standards” for car seats and how quickly we expect new designs to show up in Canada?

    Getting close to needing a couple new car seats for the baby, so I have been browsing around and got myself kind of psyched for a seat that I later realized isn’t available in Canada…

    https://nunababy.com/uk/catalog/prod...olor_ref=16366

    The ability to rotate the seat in place for strapping in and out with good secure latch anchors seemed like a huge win to me?

    Any idea on when I could expect these new systems to show up in Canuckistan or is it best not waiting around?

    I probably don’t really NEED a new seat for 2-3 months but could transition any time. My hope was to start shopping for one in a couple weeks after my new car lands.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    3,476
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    I wouldn’t hold your breath.

    The rotating thing has been around long before nuna did it, but I don’t think any of them are certified in Canada.

    Fwiw we’ve been happy with our diono seats. They weigh 7 tons, but if you aren’t switching the seat between cars, it’s irrelevant. They’re monsters when rear facing, but some of the most compact (width and depth) once you spin them forward.

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,727
    Rep Power
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldnít hold your breath.

    The rotating thing has been around long before nuna did it, but I donít think any of them are certified in Canada.

    Fwiw weíve been happy with our diono seats. They weigh 7 tons, but if you arenít switching the seat between cars, itís irrelevant. Theyíre monsters when rear facing, but some of the most compact (width and depth) once you spin them forward.
    x2 sort of. Their weight is truly ludicrous and you must never take them on a plane. The baggage throwers will break a new portion of them on every flight - without fail.

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    3,476
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    x2 sort of. Their weight is truly ludicrous and you must never take them on a plane. The baggage throwers will break a new portion of them on every flight - without fail.
    You must have bad luck haha. We’ve flown with ours a few times, no issues so far!

  11. #231
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,952
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    I’ll look into the Diono.

    As long as it is t so massive as to make the front passenger seat useless I am pretty open minded.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,878
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    My advice was buy shitty graco from Walmart. Get the shitty graco stroller and the shitty graco bases and you are set.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  13. #233
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Hybrid
    Posts
    1,124
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ll look into the Diono.

    As long as it is t so massive as to make the front passenger seat useless I am pretty open minded.
    Diono makes the front passenger seat only suitable for 5'1" wife in an X3 (that's already using the angle adjuster). Not sure how it'll fare in an X5.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

  14. #234
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    3,476
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    My wife is 5’3” and fits in the front in our rdx with the angle adjuster. Unless your wife is tall, she’ll be ok in an x5.

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,727
    Rep Power
    86

    Default

    Rear facing Diono and front facing ain't the same fuckin sport.

  16. #236
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost
    Posts
    4,573
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My advice was buy shitty graco from Walmart. Get the shitty graco stroller and the shitty graco bases and you are set.
    truth.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  17. #237
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab
    Posts
    763
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Diono makes the front passenger seat only suitable for 5'1" wife in an X3 (that's already using the angle adjuster). Not sure how it'll fare in an X5.
    We had the massive Diono 3RXT rear facing in our X5 with no issues. Didn't have to adjust the front seat at all.

  18. #238
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Beyonds Official Realtor
    My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Don't ever under any circumstances let your child (daughter) near a barn nor horse.....If you do kiss your extra money goodbye

    "BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR" Instagram @jordanlotoski
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2021)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

    Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

  19. #239
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Hybrid
    Posts
    1,124
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We had the massive Diono 3RXT rear facing in our X5 with no issues. Didn't have to adjust the front seat at all.
    Sounds like I need to switch up to an X5 winter beater.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

  20. #240
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,970
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JordanLotoski View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't ever under any circumstances let your child (daughter) near a barn nor horse.....If you do kiss your extra money goodbye
    Sounds like a great winter beater though.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The AHS system is quite good.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. One Dadís Twitter Photo Essay on His Daughterís Perilous Walk to School

    By speedog in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 32
    Latest Threads: 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM
  2. Kitchener dad arrested at school after daughter draws picture of gun

    By Tik-Tok in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 02-26-2012, 05:13 AM
  3. Rich Dad Poor Dad

    By Mys73ri0 in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 59
    Latest Threads: 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 09-23-2009, 07:41 AM
  5. Input Survey for School Naming - New West Calgary High School

    By urban.one in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 05-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •