Quantcast
Maintenance and oil change schedule for new GLC 300 - wait 20K for first oil change? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance and oil change schedule for new GLC 300 - wait 20K for first oil change?

My Ride
    Silverado

Ya a mine site probably has specific challenges for fluids. Cold starts, idling, dust, i did an internship at a mine and the trucks were replaced at 50,000km. Lots had frame cracking.

The manufacturers design parts to last and provide maintenance recommendations. My 5.3 gm came from the factory with a 160,0000km powertrain warranty

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . My 5.3 gm came from the factory with a 160,0000km powertrain warranty
    Does it? I wonder if they stopped doing that, 160k warranty is only offered on the 3.0L duramax now according to their website.

Considering the issues modern vehicles seem to have, manufacturers do not design parts to last. But that's why we are having a discussion about it, right? I would also point out that a cracked frame has nothing to do with fluid changes, I think we can both agree that is irrelevant to the discussion. But yes, cold starts (like in the city), start stop (like in the city), low speeds (like in the city), and short trips (like in the city) seems to mimic city driving pretty well.

For some, manufacturer recommendations will be the way to go. Most who buy new vehicles also don't keep them past 150k kms, so it will really be a non-issue regardless.
    Last edited by zechs; 07-08-2020 at 01:08 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Does it? I wonder if they stopped doing that, 160k warranty is only offered on the 3.0L duramax now according to their website.

Considering the issues modern vehicles seem to have, manufacturers do not design parts to last. But that's why we are having a discussion about it, right?

For some, manufacturer recommendations will be the way to go. Most who buy new vehicles also don't keep them past 150k kms, so it will really be a non-issue regardless.
    That’s the standard warranty on the 2018 and old GM’s yea.

https://www.gmccanada.ca/content/dam...17jul27-en.pdf

2019 and later its 5yrs/100
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    That’s the standard warranty on the 2018 and old GM’s yea.

2019 and later its 5yrs/100
    Guess they don't design parts to last anymore. Or they lost their shirts on offering warranty that long.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Guess they don't design parts to last anymore. Or they lost their shirts on offering warranty that long.
    Warranty’s are all about marketing.

They probably realized they didn’t gain many customers with the extra 60k km over 5 years, that or they make more money selling extreme km warranties than they sold more vehicles with the extra 60k power train.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

On a similar topic, how often do you guys do the other maintenance stuff like brake fluid, air filter, etc.

The computer in our X5 gives service reminder every XXXkm OR 1 year, whichever comes first and we only drive it <10K/year. Since it's off warranty now, can I tell my mechanic to just do oil change and ignore the rest?

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    On a similar topic, how often do you guys do the other maintenance stuff like brake fluid, air filter, etc.

The computer in our X5 gives service reminder every XXXkm OR 1 year, whichever comes first and we only drive it <10K/year. Since it's off warranty now, can I tell my mechanic to just do oil change and ignore the rest?
    That's all listed in the owners manual under the maintenance schedule.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

GMs Diesel engines still have a 160k warranty. 2019 onwards 160k powertrain warranty was dropped. It definitely was a negative for me when I was considering a new truck.

I do brake fluid every 1-2 years or sooner depending on my vehicle and it’s use. As short as every track day on my track car. All depends on the usage.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

The Bobistheoilguy forums are great for data.

I've taken a keen interest in this having just bought a new Ford. The timing chains/guides wearing have been linked to improper oil change intervals, so yes, there is some data to back it up.
    I wouldn't put any faith in an internet forum telling me what I should do with my vehicle.

I disagree. My 13 Ecoboost had timing chain failure at 76k and my oil was changed every 7500km. I now stretch my oilchanges on my 16 F150 5.0 to every 10k or so, and haven't had an issue. the timing chain failures on ecoboosts seem to be a complete crapshoot and maintenance schedule seems to have very little to do with it.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    I wouldn't put any faith in an internet forum telling me what I should do with my vehicle.

I disagree. My 13 Ecoboost had timing chain failure at 76k and my oil was changed every 7500km. I now stretch my oilchanges on my 16 F150 5.0 to every 10k or so, and haven't had an issue. the timing chain failures on ecoboosts seem to be a complete crapshoot and maintenance schedule seems to have very little to do with it.
    Yep. A forum full of people sharing oil analysis is nice and all but the reality is that the engineers that designed these engine actually know far, far more than anonymous internet posters. Like I said in my first post the best thing about EV's is that these circular engine oil discussions will be put to bed for good.

My Ride
    Silverado

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and its boiling point will lower over time. Depending on your use case, towing or tracking, are good examples of when you should shorten your or at least follow the manfuacturers recommended service interval.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think we should all admit that engineers don't write the warranty period or the maintenance schedule based on some mathematical formula. They are a BOTH a marketing and accounting decision made with some engineering input. Fleets look at TCO and less frequent maintenance factors heavily into that.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think we should all admit that engineers don't write the warranty period or the maintenance schedule based on some mathematical formula. They are a BOTH a marketing and accounting decision made with some engineering input. Fleets look at TCO and less frequent maintenance factors heavily into that.
    You know this as fact from experience working for an automaker? I don't work in the automotive industry but I do work in manufacturing and the engineers 100% decide on required 1-2 year spare parts list requirements. Sales and management take it from there and decide pricing inventory of such parts. I'm not willing to admit anything that I can't say is 100% true but I have a hard time believing that any marketing or accounting department is stretching the recommendations made by engineers as there's just too much money riding on potential warranty disasters and lawsuits. We really do need to give more credit to automakers for knowing what they are doing. Engines these days are remarkably reliable compared to when I started driving in the late 80's.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I do not work at an automaker, and I guess I should clarify. I'm not trying to suggest marketing is straight up making things up, but more that there's a curve of failures vs time/mileage for a certain oil change interval (for instance) and where the company chooses to make it's recommendation based on those curves is a business and not an engineering choice.
    I don't think that's particularly controversial, is it?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

It seems backwards to me that marketing and accounting would want to stretch service intervals, when that is a primary funding source of any dealership? I understand wanting to make it a positive for the consumer, but at the risk of addressing unnecessary warranty concerns?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Dealerships are not the manufacturer.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

How does this oil longevity talk translate to motorcycles? I've always thought the recommended intervals on my Vstar 1100 were quite tight but I also don't know shit about shatner really when it comes to motorcycle engines.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You'll crash your motocycle more frequently than you'll change it's oil. Fact. (Or maybe I don't know anything about motorcycles because I've literally never even ridden one, that's possible too.)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I do not work at an automaker, and I guess I should clarify. I'm not trying to suggest marketing is straight up making things up, but more that there's a curve of failures vs time/mileage for a certain oil change interval (for instance) and where the company chooses to make it's recommendation based on those curves is a business and not an engineering choice.
    I don't think that's particularly controversial, is it?
    It’s really not a complicated concept. Engineering/Expert provide their input, the business makes decisions based on their own analysis.

Business 101

fact.

My Ride
    V8s

It’s really not a complicated concept. Engineering/Expert provide their input, the business then finds a way to cut as many corners as possible without it absolutely cratering, and that's what gets sold/recommended.

Business 101
    ftfy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast