Quantcast
Maintenance and oil change schedule for new GLC 300 - wait 20K for first oil change? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Maintenance and oil change schedule for new GLC 300 - wait 20K for first oil change?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for that perspective; we are not leasing and intend to keep the vehicle; I would rather spend time and money on preventative maintenance up front...
    I'm planning to keep my GLE400 as well. I change my own oil at 10,000km between the 20,000km service interval. The only thing I have ever seen come of these extended service intervals, is oil slugding and decreased reliability outside of warranty period. Anybody who ever made a vehicle last a million miles, will never tell you they scrimped on oil changes as part of their maintenance routine. So to me it is cheap insurance to just change it frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    They sure do. Lol. If you look carefully at the 6 month service it’s just a check. If you want an oil change you would have to ask for it and pay.
    That must be an insane profit margin for dealerships. They only have to "inspect" a new car every other time. No parts or other services required....insane!

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Local shop recommended twice a year, or 8,000 km which seems about right/average usable lifespan of a good synthetic oil.

Recommended by BMW 12-15,000 km or annually, whichever comes first during your 4 year factory warranty.

My Ride
    This and that.

What's so bad about following whatever the timing/mileage pattern the car computer is designed to prompt?

Is it the belief that car manufacturers want their cars to die faster due to lack of proper maintenance schedule so people buy more cars? Like a conspiracy?

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    What's so bad about following whatever the timing/mileage pattern the car computer is designed to prompt?

Is it the belief that car manufacturers want their cars to die faster due to lack of proper maintenance schedule so people buy more cars? Like a conspiracy?
    What's so bad? That extended oil service of 20,000km like Mercedes recommends nowadays, is linked to oil sludging, which wreaks havoc inside your engine. If you want to keep the car long term frequent oil changes are just cheap insurance. If you're not keeping it past 100,000km, then fuck it, let it be some poor suckers problem that buys it used down the road.

My Ride
    *The First*

It's been known for about 25 years that synthetic lubricants last radically longer than conventional. They were literally marketed that way in the early 90's to justify their exorbitant cost.
    Then they stopped that marketing because the concept of frequent oil changes are so engrained in human males that they found they could still sell oil for 6x the price and Johnny KnuckleDragger would still dump that shit out after 5k "because I'd feel better if".

"Change oil every 5k" is one of the most classic examples of "because we've always done it that way" bullshit in society.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have an older relative who got so used to oil changes every 3000 miles that when Canada switched to kilometers, he stuck to 3000, so for decades, he's been using 3000 km as his interval. This is on regular domestic shit doing regular family duty too. It's incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    It's been known for about 25 years that synthetic lubricants last radically longer than conventional. They were literally marketed that way in the early 90's to justify their exorbitant cost.
    Then they stopped that marketing because the concept of frequent oil changes are so engrained in human males that they found they could still sell oil for 6x the price and Johnny KnuckleDragger would still dump that shit out after 5k "because I'd feel better if".

"Change oil every 5k" is one of the most classic examples of "because we've always done it that way" bullshit in society.
    Oil lasts longer, filters don't. Nothing wrong with running oil for 100,000km if you really want to, it's just imperative to be testing the oil at regular intervals to see it's quality and change when it needs it. Very few people want to deal with this, so just stick to known safe intervals instead.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Oil lasts longer, filters don't. Nothing wrong with running oil for 100,000km if you really want to, it's just imperative to be testing the oil at regular intervals to see it's quality and change when it needs it. Very few people want to deal with this, so just stick to known safe intervals instead.
    "Known safe intervals".
    No. They just stick with what their granpappie's granpappy always told them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4