Quantcast
Maintenance and oil change schedule for new GLC 300 - wait 20K for first oil change? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Maintenance and oil change schedule for new GLC 300 - wait 20K for first oil change?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Audi is 1 year as well. Mine counts down both though. I'll def reach 1 year before I reach the km limit.
    All Germans are the same.

Toyota also switched to synthetic and yearly oil changes. But they still want you back every 6 months for inspections.

EDIT: Mazda used to be the worst offender also switched to yearly/16k oil changes.

So are synthetic standard now and 6k oil changes is finally a thing of the past? Does auto start/stop have a play into this?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-07-2020 at 04:32 PM.

My Ride
    ute

I ended up chatting with a relatively senior engineer at one of the large global oil companies that produces this stuff at an xmas party about this.

His comment was that modern lubricants are so advanced that the 1 yr/ 20,000km interval is even conservative nowadays for synthetics. You definitely don't need to do it more often than the spec.

(Similar conversations also convinced me that worrying about which gas station you go to is largely irrelevant as well.)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My Sierra is also a year. I think my wife’s Lexus NX is 6mo?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    EDIT: Mazda used to be the worst offender also switched to yearly/16k oil changes.
    Most of the mazdas are still 8,000 km or 6 months.
    https://www.mazda.ca/en/parts-servic...d-maintenance/

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Most of the mazdas are still 8,000 km or 6 months.
    https://www.mazda.ca/en/parts-servic...d-maintenance/
    ah, 2019/20 Mazda 3 is the only one switched to the new schedule.

My Ride
    SH-AWD

Thanks for the thoughts and information; all very much appreciated!
    " There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” BL

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Toyota also switched to synthetic and yearly oil changes. But they still want you back every 6 months for inspections.
    My friend recently bought a Toyota and a maintenance service package. I sure hope those 'inspection' don't count as one service package haha
    Last edited by HiSpec; 07-07-2020 at 11:11 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Every 6 months alongside with the tires. 16k intervals I think and I change it around 12k
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    G05

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    My recently bought a Toyota and a maintenance service package. I sure hope those 'inspection' don't count as one service package haha
    They sure do. Lol. If you look carefully at the 6 month service it’s just a check. If you want an oil change you would have to ask for it and pay.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    My friend recently bought a Toyota and a maintenance service package. I sure hope those 'inspection' don't count as one service package haha
    Is that 3 year 6 services for like $1K? Yes, that one includes the inspection only service.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    (Similar conversations also convinced me that worrying about which gas station you go to is largely irrelevant as well.)
    Costco and Superstore FTW! haha

My E63 was always filled at Costco.

Back on topic: You can take it to Mercedes for an early oil change, they won't reset the interval though, so you still have to come back 1 year after delivery.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Oil changes are cheap, if it makes you feel better feel free to do them more often.

However I wouldn’t lose sleep over not changing your oil more than once a year or 10/15/20k km whatever the manufacturer is recommending. I would definitely change annually personally, that’s my standard frequency.

Again, oil changes are cheap.
    So is water but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to flush the toilet twice after every urination. The used oil still has to be disposed of and go through the recycling process.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    So is water but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to flush the toilet twice after every urination. The used oil still has to be disposed of and go through the recycling process.
    Yea I’ll still flush twice if the bowl still stinks. Let’s try a better analogy for you; If you pinch off a piss halfway through will you still not flush?

You will burn more litres of petroleum driving one way to Canmore than you are “wasting” on an early oil change. This is not a significant problem.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

why would you only change half your oil? analogies suck

I do find the comments that place trust in the engineers at various auto companies interesting.

While the maintenance schedules are certainly designed to minimize warranty claims, there is a difference between catastrophic failure and wear. Why would you place faith in said engineers that brought you disasters like GM dexcool, Ford triton spark plugs, Ford cam phasers, Ford stretched timing chains, Chrysler anything.

Not trying to be rude, just the faith that these manufacturers haven't penny pinched the maintenance as far as possible is misplaced. Not changing your oil doesn't affect your car immediately. If you did all highway miles, I'd go so far as to wager you could get away with never doing an oil change for over 150,000kms.

In fact, Bobistheoilguy I believe originally started when they took a brand new 2002 Camaro SS for 100,000kms with zero oil changes. Changed filters, topped up oil lost from samples and oil filter changes, kept on running it until they got bored.

My Ride
    Silverado

So who should you trust on maintenance intervals if not the manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    So who should you trust on maintenance intervals if not the manufacturer?
    Fleet managers, private shops who have high volumes of a specific vehicle, and doing some basic rational thinking.

We have to make the assumption that automotive manufacturers are in the business of making money. Just like Apple and planned obsolesence.

So carrying forward with these assumptions, they will try and keep typical failures to ~1% for warranty ,(I seem to remember that being a number).

Therefore, the intervals will certainly work for a period of time, especially in light duty scenarios (no start/stop traffic, longer drives where things get up.to temp and moisture/contaminents burn off).

Vehicles are also using a lot of new technologies, ones that are difficult to account for properly long term over local conditions and driving habits.

I think Killramos said it best, fluid changes in general are cheap. Relative to other costs, why take the risk? Its a service interval that they do not recommend going over; ie it is the maximum interval.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Is that 3 year 6 services for like $1K? Yes, that one includes the inspection only service.
    Yup. This is the one.
    A bit of a money grabber considering I don't believe there are any other manufacturers that require the owner to bring the vehicle back for a 6-months check before the annual oil change.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Fleet managers, private shops who have high volumes of a specific vehicle, and doing some basic rational thinking.

We have to make the assumption that automotive manufacturers are in the business of making money. Just like Apple and planned obsolesence.

So carrying forward with these assumptions, they will try and keep typical failures to ~1% for warranty ,(I seem to remember that being a number).

Therefore, the intervals will certainly work for a period of time, especially in light duty scenarios (no start/stop traffic, longer drives where things get up.to temp and moisture/contaminents burn off).

Vehicles are also using a lot of new technologies, ones that are difficult to account for properly long term over local conditions and driving habits.

I think Killramos said it best, fluid changes in general are cheap. Relative to other costs, why take the risk? Its a service interval that they do not recommend going over; ie it is the maximum interval.

Do you have data to support your theory that increased fluid changes beyond the manufacturers recommendations has resulted in less maintenance long term or reduced part failures? If you have that data, I could be convinced.
    I like neat cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Do you have data to support your theory that increased fluid changes beyond the manufacturers recommendations has resulted in less maintenance long term or reduced part failures? If you have that data, I could be convinced.
    The Bobistheoilguy forums are great for data.

Certain oils do clearly sheer down (thin) well before interval suggestions, as well as lose their additive packages.

As with anything, each vehicle and case use are specific to an individual.

I've taken a keen interest in this having just bought a new Ford. The timing chains/guides wearing have been linked to improper oil change intervals, so yes, there is some data to back it up. Do I have an excel spreadsheet of thousands of vehicles? No.

But I also talked to a friend who is a fleet manager for an oilsands site, and he said they changed their intervals lower than Ford recommended. No.problems now. Again, is that specific to.my usecase? No. But rarely is any data perfect.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast