Quantcast
SpaceX Starlink Internet beta test - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: SpaceX Starlink Internet beta test

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I've read they're looking to implement a plan for cottage users, be able to shut service off for however many months ave be able to reactivate with no potential wait.

There was no wait list for the area I moved to, ordered the dish and had it a week later

There is an obvious solution to server latency issues.

Launch NAS devices into orbit at the same altitude as Starlink. I can imagine that as few as a hundred satellite NAS devices could be used for Netflix persay. General purpose NAS for others.

When you play Genshin, it won't ask what continent you are playing on, it will ask what satellites you are playing on.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-31-2022 at 04:38 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Has anyone used starlink across the border?

I'm seeing claims your unit can be temporarily moved anywhere on the continent. The folks have a property down in Florida, and their ISP in central Alberta has gotten shitty (as they all do). They'd like to bite the bullet on Starlink. Now that I've gotten them watching most stuff on Amazon/netflix, they are pretty close to getting rid of their satellite tv so the cost would work out well for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride

I have not but the roaming feature is an extra $30/month, ~$180/month CAD, should work as stated anywhere Starlink has service - https://www.starlink.com/map?source=rv

A buddy/old co-worker of mine who is based in the US has been driving/camping around America for the past 4-5 months with his trailer and uses Starlink, he says it has been rock solid as long as you have the necessary clear line of sight for the dish.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Has anyone used starlink across the border?

I'm seeing claims your unit can be temporarily moved anywhere on the continent. The folks have a property down in Florida, and their ISP in central Alberta has gotten shitty (as they all do). They'd like to bite the bullet on Starlink. Now that I've gotten them watching most stuff on Amazon/netflix, they are pretty close to getting rid of their satellite tv so the cost would work out well for them.
    Running mine on roaming plan, drove from Calgary to LA using Starlink in the car the entire way. Worked flawlessly, speeds vary depending on cell load.

Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    is broken

LOL why? Your just going to break the motors in the modem doing that.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    LOL why?
    Unlimited data, 150MBPS+, connectivity where cell signal does not exist, test run.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Your just going to break the motors in the modem doing that.
    Negative. Dishy is designed to withstand extreme weather events. 130km/h on the highway and 3000KM+, no issues.

Everyone's doing it, man:

tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This is a really cool use-case for that technology, and I am fascinated to see how much people love it, and how widespread the adoption becomes. There is a pretty significant number of people living from RV's across north america.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well may not impact us but seems like Russia is frustrated enough to ponder shooting Starlink sats down.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...ink-satellites

There are over 2,000 of them in orbit, and every Falcon 9 launch can add up to 60 more. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has noted that it can launch new satellites faster than Russia (or anyone else) can shoot them down. And SpaceX is just the first to reach this point.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My Ride

Honestly means nothing to most Starlink users and I think it's a fair policy.

Want to torrent and download shit like crazy? Do it while everyone is sleeping.

I don't think I even hit a TB a month when I lived in Calgary on Shaw. During the evenings speed tests come back with 30-40 Mbps and during the day it 120-150 Mbps, heavy strain when everyone is home watching 4K Netflix.

When my alternative is cellular internet or shit xplornet satellite internet, 1 TB a month is completely irrelevant for being a remote user.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I feel like I use a lot because we don’t pirate lol.

Name:  9CDF90A0-0D8B-409F-A095-F663BF0B7642.jpeg
Views: 291
Size:  235.0 KB

Wfh, 4k tv and movies streaming, Xbox, and nest cameras Are the biggest hogs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I got 3 different emails from star link. One saying we went over 1tb at least once in 6 months. The next saying we didn't go over once followed by another that said I may have.

My current months usage is 750mb. I'd be over 1 tb if my older kid was home much. Curious to see my exact usage over the last 6 months once it's available.

It doesn't take much to go over 1 TB. IMO it's a shit policy. Guess I'm going back to the stone ages and downloading games at night?? You'll also have to manually remove your data caps if you happen to go over.

Brutal.

My Ride

I'm at 152GB usage after 7 days into my billing cycle, that's 2 people working from home full time, netflix/twitch/iptv streaming, gaming and regular use.

If I set my pirate ship to sail between 11pm-7am then my usage falls off even more.

Dunno what to say for users who do stream 4k nest cameras, it's a shitty move overall but for my alternative choices for home internet this is still best option by leaps and bounds.

maybe time to charge back the equipment purchase.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I'm at 152GB usage after 7 days into my billing cycle, that's 2 people working from home full time, netflix/twitch/iptv streaming, gaming and regular use.

If I set my pirate ship to sail between 11pm-7am then my usage falls off even more.

Dunno what to say for users who do stream 4k nest cameras, it's a shitty move overall but for my alternative choices for home internet this is still best option by leaps and bounds.
    Nobody’s debating it’s a poor choice, it literally is the only rural choice today. Just saying 1tb caps suck for a lot of people when the service was promised otherwise.

Looking through by network monitors, majority of our use is our Xbox’s through the house. I mean just yesterday it burnt through 400gb combined in downloading updates, probably call of duty tbh haha. Our 2nd is streaming tv, since we don’t pirate, everything we watch and rewatch uses a ton of data. Nest cameras is next, way less than the above 2, then finally wfh meetings.

I dunno, I feel like we’re not that abnormal in usage in our first 2 uses cases, with kids in the house.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Telus will provide you with 1TB cellular.

Actually… it looks like you can get unlimited with them now too
    Last edited by killramos; 11-06-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Nobody’s debating it’s a poor choice, it literally is the only rural choice today. Just saying 1tb caps suck for a lot of people when the service was promised otherwise.

Looking through by network monitors, majority of our use is our Xbox’s through the house. I mean just yesterday it burnt through 400gb combined in downloading updates, probably call of duty tbh haha. Our 2nd is streaming tv, since we don’t pirate, everything we watch and rewatch uses a ton of data. Nest cameras is next, way less than the above 2, then finally wfh meetings.

I dunno, I feel like we’re not that abnormal in usage in our first 2 uses cases, with kids in the house.
    my 750 MB for my billing cycle is strictly streaming and a little bit of gaming... going to assume some updates done on the ps5 and probably next to no downloading at the moment. It's extremely easy to eat up 1 tb.

Imagine not being able to download anything because it eats up most of your cap?

Rumored price changes based on physical location may be incoming on March 24.

Also: As more satellites go up, the need for motorization of the dish will be lessened.

Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    is broken

Unpopular opinion but they should just charge a flat $/GB. No caps or speed limits.
    Use more data, pay more, seems fair to me.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast