Quantcast
SpaceX Starlink Internet beta test - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: SpaceX Starlink Internet beta test

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yep i got 2 emails as well, but it's not worth $130 (plus $700 hardware) for 50-150m.. can get better than that for cheaper with other means
    They are targetting 300mbps and ~20ms ping by end of year.

Having said that, the Telus hub is more than adequate... If you get good signal. If I got 50mbps like I did when I first got it, I'd stick with it. Telus has also started substantially throttling/managing traffic if you stream a lot of videos or torrent. Chrome browser downloading files can hit 1MBps easy, torrent something with a lot of seeda that should support 500KBps or higher, will get throttled to 100 very quickly.

My Ride
    lester van

I've definitely noticed smart hub has been a lot less reliable lately, I had a ton of issues losing connection to the network drives and skype over the last ten days. Not sure if its a wifi issue or an LTE issue but my phone will stall out on wifi then works fine as soon as I turn wifi off. Homepod and Hue have been acting up too so I figure its probably just the cheap smarthub wifi thats the issue.

When it works its fast enough for me but when I have guests it can't really keep up.

Last edited by birdman86; 02-24-2021 at 12:37 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Smart hub doesn’t really compete when it comes to unlimited bandwidth that Starlink offers.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

5g is (up to) 20x faster than 4g, elon better get his shit rollin if he wants to pay for all those satellites.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    5g is (up to) 20x faster than 4g, elon better get his shit rollin if he wants to pay for all those satellites.
    You’ll have to get a lot of 5G radio towers to hit those 5G speeds. The range for mmWave is shit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ignore List

The use-case for this stuff is easiest where current cell coverage doesn't reach. Those areas are unlikely to have decent 5G coverage in the next decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You’ll have to get a lot of 5G radio towers to hit those 5G speeds. The range for mmWave is shit.
    I have it on good authority you are spreading FUD, according to Killramos, as by magically relabeling 3G and 4G as mid and long range 5G, it fixes the problem.

Way to buy into the advertising sheeple (this whole post is sarcasm and meant in jest).

Starlink got me good, they sent out emails all at the same time to the multiple smurf accounts I used trying to get into the beta, all said I could "order" and then took me to the "preorder" page I already used at the beginning of the month. Elon Musk really is a meme'r.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s clear your brain clearly hasn’t been capable of taking in any new information since the 80’s
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The use-case for this stuff is easiest where current cell coverage doesn't reach. Those areas are unlikely to have decent 5G coverage in the next decade or more.
    Yeah, this is where Starlink will be huge. I'm only 45 min SW of Calgary and I don't even have 1 bar of 3G coverage at the house.

Now that I have had it for a while and have the dish on the roof, it has been pretty good....substantially better than Xplornet. I gave them a chance head to head for a month and I cancelled Xplornet last week. Starlink isn't perfect but if your only options are satellite-based internet, it is the best option and it's only going to get better.

My Ride
    is broken

SpaceX has now applied to the FCC in the USA for a license to offer Starlink services on moving vessels, vehicles, and aircraft:

https://fcc.report/IBFS/SES-LIC-INTR...34/3877177.pdf

Modems will need to be professional installed but this is good news for RV, Vanlife, Boatlife people.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9