Quantcast
COVID-19 Science Thread - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 91

Thread: COVID-19 Science Thread

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Buster, yes its a study of influenza. Are you suggesting that they are so radically different that masks work for one but not for the other when masks function strictly on the size of the particle?
    I'm suggesting that you posted a review for influenza.

    You have to be careful on wording. You said "masks don't work." What you should have said is: "some studies done on influenza have not shown that masks limit transmission - although the studies are not conclusive. It is unknown at this time how if influenza transmission is similar enough to COVID transmission to establish if these studies can be used as comparisons." Or something similar.

    I think it's good that you are in this thread as it will help you learn and understand the process of science and how to think about what the data tells you and what it does not tell you - and how to tell which is which. I encourage you to follow along and ask questions and post things that you think are relevant. This is the only way to learn and get better at these things.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    TrackCock
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I needed to brush up on my biology.


  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Pretty sure this was the thread everyone was rambling about Vitamin D for 2 pages. Rhonda Patrick was on Joe Rogan podcast again a few months ago. This is an excerpt where she goes on a rant about vitamin D with a ton of good information. I hope I didn't miss someone posting this already and that's why you were all talking about D.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBSfIckPV44
    Last edited by Misterman; 07-26-2020 at 08:31 PM.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    You have to be careful on wording. You said "masks don't work." What you should have said is: "some studies done on influenza have not shown that masks limit transmission - although the studies are not conclusive. It is unknown at this time how if influenza transmission is similar enough to COVID transmission to establish if these studies can be used as comparisons." Or something similar.
    I am certainly questioning the fact that your argument sounds strangely like those of the religious. "You just have to believe, the science is inconclusive, we may never know".

    It also is telling that you can not produce any supporting documentation prior to 2020 that shows resoundingly in the affirmative that masks do something beyond the trivial.

    As I mentioned, a strange lack of science in the science thread. A lot of almost religious ferocity and believing though.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am certainly questioning the fact that your argument sounds strangely like those of the religious. "You just have to believe, the science is inconclusive, we may never know".

    It also is telling that you can not produce any supporting documentation prior to 2020 that shows resoundingly in the affirmative that masks do something beyond the trivial.

    As I mentioned, a strange lack of science in the science thread. A lot of almost religious ferocity and believing though.
    Science is about the act of turning uncertainty into certainty over time. It's about the process. Every hypothesis requires that further data is required to take the next step and figure out the next hypothesis. If you are looking for certainties, science is hardly the place to look. As I said, I'm happy that you are posting here and learning - I wish more people would do that and if I can help you along that process, then I will. I don't think you will find much religious fervor, although people do tend to have strong opinions about which direction they think the data will point- but that's not faith per se, that's just differences of opinion.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    7,739
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    I'm down with antigen testing.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    This is a really interesting TWiV.


  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Medcram Q+A with Michael Mina


  10. #70
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,293
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    can you sum it up for us homie. we need a Beyond Corona task force with daily legit updates.
    max_boost is a name known to all
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or the max boost portfolio lol xqq/hmmj/arkk/xgro/strathmore/Chinese food lol
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is diversification in a nut shell. Equity, Fixed Income, Tech, Stoner, Real Estate, and Steady Income.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,421
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    can you sum it up for us homie. we need a Beyond Corona task force with daily legit updates.
    Stop the current PCR lab tests which has a huge lag and cost and too slow in quarantining people.

    Get the $1 test approved so in 15mins anyone tested positive can be told to quarantine and let them back into the society when the same $1 test clears them.

    Once FDA/Health Canada approves this, then this tool can be integrated into health policy where employer can administrate frequent testing of employees and slow the spread. And this will be a great tool for school reopening as well.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-06-2020 at 08:49 AM.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    ^ What he said.

    If you can tell people that they are infected, and then change their behaviour, then you can drive the R0 of the infection way below 1 almost instantly. These $1 test strips probably wouldn't be as good as a vaccine, but it would have a similar impact.

    Edit: I think we can start manufacturing millions of them per day basically starting next week. But there is no regulator with the job of approving tests that are intended for surveillance (rather than diagnosis).

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Medcram has been doing a great series of short YT videos with Michael Mina.



    - - - Updated - - -


  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,421
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Cheap self testing is nice but I guess it's false hope since people are not quarantining on positive test....

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/11/us/mi...rnd/index.html

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheap self testing is nice but I guess it's false hope since people are not quarantining on positive test....

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/11/us/mi...rnd/index.html
    People said the same thing about masks...and it's now turned so that if you aren't wearing a mask you look like an idiot. Social pressure is pretty strong.

    You don't need to eliminate the idiots when it comes to vaccines or self-testing. You just need enough people. Mina discusses it right in one of those videos.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default


  17. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People said the same thing about masks...and it's now turned so that if you aren't wearing a mask you look like an idiot. Social pressure is pretty strong.
    I was in a store the other day, and as we were waiting in line somebody walks in, sees the half a dozen or so people in the store with masks on, rolls his eyes and pulls his mask from his pocket and puts it on.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People said the same thing about masks...and it's now turned so that if you aren't wearing a mask you look like an idiot. Social pressure is pretty strong.

    .
    This may come as a shock to you, and brace yourself for this; there is more to Alberta than Calgary

    Most people outside of mandatory mask cities don't wear them. Even then, its typically only big box stores and coporations that are seriously enforcing the rules in Calgary and Edmonton.

    There is a large amount of people that think you are an idiot for wearing a mask with little to no evidence it does anything and even possibly makes it worse.

    It is quite telling that another month has gone by, and all talk of masks is gone because they are not even able to remotely generate data in favour of masks. And you still haven't provided a lick of evidence in the supportive of the belief. I guess if the gov told you to shove your thumb up your ass because it prevents transmission, you would because "you just don't know it could work".
    Last edited by zechs; 09-13-2020 at 10:43 AM.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I'm fine with those people thinking I'm am idiot.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    TrackCock
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm fine with those people thinking I'm am idiot.
    You yous am certainly not.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

    By Xtrema in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 8733
    Latest Threads: Today, 04:30 PM
  2. Replies: 112
    Latest Threads: 08-25-2020, 05:22 PM
  3. Your Covid 19/WW3 emergency food shopping list?

    By Maxt in forum Food and Dining
    Replies: 285
    Latest Threads: 05-08-2020, 10:02 AM
  4. COVID-19 Mortgage Payment Relief: What’s Available to You

    By TimLacroix in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 50
    Latest Threads: 03-31-2020, 01:08 PM
  5. COVID-19 Tax Writeoff Info

    By The Cosworth in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •